PDA

View Full Version : French Friday

linda22003
02-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Cold and sunny in the DC area; the streets are plowed (where I am) and the airport is open, which is all I care about - off to Paris tonight. I won't be here for next Friday's TOTD, so you all can fight amongst yourselves for the privilege.

TOTD: Air travel; do you have to do it much? Do you remember when it used to be a special occasion instead of a complete pain in the ass?

bijou
02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Flying I don't mind, it is the whole 'airport experience' that makes me dislike travelling. It's a necessary evil to get somewhere nice. Still now that it only takes 2 hours 15 minutes to get to Paris by train from London (which means I can get there in 3 hours total) and we are now linked in with the European high speed network I won't need to fly so often.

FlaGator
02-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Cold and rainy to day.

TOTD: I use to fly often. For while I flew daily from one city to another, 5 days a week. Back then it was easy and I sure miss those days. I use to love to fly but now it is such a hassle that I try my best to avoid it.

Gingersnap
02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
It's mostly sunny and it will get into the 40s again today. I guess the ice did start melting yesterday since I slipped on it and I now have a couple of bruises that will be just spectacular in a couple of days. :mad:

TOTD: I flew a few times as a child and I do remember when it seemed like more of a dress-up occasion. By the time I had to fly across the country a couple of times every month, it had degenerated in coach quite a bit. Business class is a lot less horrifying if you fly an airline where it's offered and if you can afford it.

I hate flying. I feel like it's my personal obligation to will the plane not to crash. The only time I can relax is when we hit all of the turbulence going into DIA since that means the experience will be over shortly.

megimoo
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
It's mostly sunny and it will get into the 40s again today. I guess the ice did start melting yesterday since I slipped on it and I now have a couple of bruises that will be just spectacular in a couple of days. :mad:

TOTD: I flew a few times as a child and I do remember when it seemed like more of a dress-up occasion. By the time I had to fly across the country a couple of times every month, it had degenerated in coach quite a bit. Business class is a lot less horrifying if you fly an airline where it's offered and if you can afford it.

I hate flying. I feel like it's my personal obligation to will the plane not to crash. The only time I can relax is when we hit all of the turbulence going into DIA since that means the experience will be over shortly.High thirties here.The snow is melting and the chickens are out pecking about.I hate to fly.For a while,years ago, when I was a new bright eyed Field Engineer I enjoyed going to Europe every year for a month to cover for the European staff while they were on vacation.

The first time in the old U.K,London was a whirlwind for me.Staying In the Old Park Lane hotel and traveling all over Europe a few days here and a few days there then Back to London to turn in my dirty laundry and pick up clean clothes at the hotel.A week in France and Alsace Lorraine,Mulhouse Colmar and Strausberg picking up after those arrogant French engineers .

They've almost killed me three times on plane crashes that I just missed or was scheduled to fly.One crashed and killed all on board and I missed that flight because of a customer error.The next day I took the same flight to the same destination on the same carrier.They had newspapers showing workers at the crash site picking up body parts in full color.The plane landed on adjacent runway to the crash site.The French are very Bla`seŽ about accidents and commonly show plane crashes in all of the gory details.

Another from Paris to Lisboa then on to Estoril Sol and Cascais for a week.On the return trip the two young Brazilian pilots flew low into the
Spanish Pyrenese mountains to give us a world view of the high mountain peaks then back to Paris .

The plane made the trip from Paris to Lisbon and back three times a week.The Following week I read that it had crashed in the Pyrenese mountains without any survivors.

Gingersnap
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
They've almost killed me three times on plane crashes that I just missed or was scheduled to fly.

That would be enough to put me off flying forever. When I lived in Denver two light planes smacked into each other right over my house while I was at home. The FAA made us collect all the little pieces and put them on our porches for the investigators to collect. Some of my neighbors had parts punch through their roofs and a couple of houses were badly damaged.

No survivors, obviously. :(

linda22003
02-12-2010, 04:42 PM
On that jolly note, I'm off to the airport. Au revoir, gang - I hope! :)

Gingersnap
02-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Have fun! :D

bijou
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Have fun Linda. It's mostly above freezing in Paris. Ideal weather for coat buying. :D

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/europe_forecast_7days.asp?locationID=1798

JB
02-12-2010, 06:32 PM
numbers iz gone? thats' two bad.

Rockntractor
02-12-2010, 07:17 PM
numbers iz gone? thats' two bad.
Should we order a kegger or something? It seams a waste to do nothing!:confused:

Bubba Dawg
02-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Should we order a kegger or something? It seams a waste to do nothing!:confused:

The surfing pig is nice.

lacarnut
02-12-2010, 08:26 PM
The surfing pig is nice.

His piggies always put a smile on my face.

Rockntractor
02-12-2010, 11:14 PM
The surfing pig is nice.
Surfing pig wants summer back!