PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics overshadowed by death

Gingersnap
02-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Winter Olympics overshadowed by death

Updated on 12 February 2010
By Channel 4 News

A Georgian luger dies in a high-speed training accident just hours before Vancouver's winter Olympics are declared open.

Nodar Kumaritashvili, 21, died after he was thrown from his sled as it flipped off the track at the Whistler Sliding Centre and hit a pillar.

The Georgian luger was given emergency treatment at the scene, before being taken to hospital in an ambulance where he was confirmed dead.

The track at Whistler is regarded as the fastest in the world.

Nodar Kumaritashvili's death cast a shadow as the games prepared to get underway.

:(

Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/world/americas/winter+olympics+overshadowed+by+death/3538637)

djones520
02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Man... thats sad. :( Best wishes to his family and team.

ralph wiggum
02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I was listening to someone describe the luge course, and apparently there have been some complaints for months about it.

JB
02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I was listening to someone describe the luge course, and apparently there have been some complaints for months about it.When it first opened last year a guy ran 96+ mph on it. It was 6 mph faster than the world record. That's unheard of. :eek:

For some people watching luge will be like watching NASCAR.

SarasotaRepub
02-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Very sad what happened, that track must be beyond belief.

Opening Cers are starting.

Bubba Dawg
02-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Very sad. :(

lacarnut
02-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Sad indeed. It looks like they could put some kind of netting on those curves.

SaintLouieWoman
02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm wondering about the legal ramifications. Do the folks from Georgia sue for wrongful death?

Seems the Olympic committee put out a statement essentially saying the accident was caused by the athlete. Then they put padding on that concrete pole and used wood to build up a higher wall in the spot where he went off. Oh yeah, then they had the men use the lower starting point that had been designated for the women lugers.