PDA

View Full Version : Half a millions Brits only wash their sheets three times A YEAR

Gingersnap
02-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Half a millions Brits only wash their sheets three times A YEAR

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 8:16 PM on 16th February 2010

Waking up in the bed of a stranger is often an unsavoury experience and now new research has revealed frightening figures about what it is you could be sharing with.

A poll suggests that more than half a million Britons only wash their sheets three times a year, allowing some 10 million bugs and dust mites to settle in for a night cap alongside them.

Londoners are the most frowzy - almost a quarter of the capital's inhabitants opt for the four-monthly approach - while just eight per cent of house-proud people in Northern Ireland are the same. One is six do it only once a month.

The staggering statistic comes at a time when most of us are spending 49 hours a week under the covers to avoid the cold snap. Despite forking out an average 1,020 for a bed and linen, almost half of people surveyed admitted to regularly eating in bed and running the risk of encouraging further creatures.

The poll carried out by insurance firm Sheilas' Wheels revealed that under 25s had the dirtiest sheets with one in 10 polled washing them only six times a year. The elders among us, in contrast, aired their dirty laundry an average of three times a month.

Jacky Brown, of Sheilas' Wheels said: 'With the cold weather making our beds more irresistible than ever, Brits are currently spending more than 49 hours a week sleeping in. 'The bed is one of the most used and expensive items in the home.

'So it's astonishing that more people aren't keeping it clean, with many beds being used as an alternative to the kitchen table for a place to breakfast or snack.'

Environmental health expert Dr Lisa Ackerley said: 'It's estimated that 10 per cent of the weight of a two year pillow is comprised of dead skin and dust mites.

ZOMG! Ewwww! :eek:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1251449/Half-millions-Brits-wash-sheets-times-A-YEAR.html#ixzz0fjUQem40

swirling_vortex
02-16-2010, 03:35 PM
They must change their sheets around the same time they brush their teeth, right? :D

ralph wiggum
02-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Wow! I'm not OCD, but that scares me! :eek:

Gingersnap
02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm sure this isn't some kind of "British" thing. I'll bet you'd find the same thing in the USA. :(

For the record: I buy new pillows about every 3 months. It's that or nuking them from space just to be sure.

lacarnut
02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
My ex used to eat in bed which would gross me out. However, the sheets got washed once a week.

noonwitch
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm sure this isn't some kind of "British" thing. I'll bet you'd find the same thing in the USA. :(

For the record: I buy new pillows about every 3 months. It's that or nuking them from space just to be sure.

I buy pillows that can be put in the washing machine, and wash them about every 3 months. But I wash my sheets weekly, including the comforter and shams. I wash the mattress pad at least once a month.

I was so repulsed when my brother in law told me that hotels only wash the bedspreads/comforters once a month. That is so disgusting.

hampshirebrit
02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Of course I never wash them. I just go and buy new ones every week and give the dirties to the poor people.

Doesn't everyone? :confused: :p

stsinner
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
When I lived in Switzerland, I learned that it's a European thing to open your windows during nice weather and put your top covers in the window to air out... They were always pretty fresh, but I'd still wash them pretty regularly..

megimoo
02-16-2010, 04:47 PM

For the record: I buy new pillows about every 3 months. It's that or nuking them from space just to be sure.Barneys sheets are rather crisp !

AlmostThere
02-17-2010, 04:05 AM
In four months I think you'll replace the outer layer of skin about 8 times. :eek:

megimoo
02-17-2010, 09:14 AM
In four months I think you'll replace the outer layer of skin about 8 times. :eek:Don't worry about your pillow being germ infested .If you were to put in a new bag and vacuum your mattress when next you change the sheets you would be astonished at the pile of dried dead skin flakes it picks up from the seams.

They apparently slip through the threads in the sheet and gather in the mattress.The whole mattress is a crawling skin cell eating bacterium laden mass and you are sleeping on it .

Gingersnap
02-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Don't worry about your pillow being germ infested .If you were to put in a new bag and vacuum your mattress when next you change the sheets you would be astonished at the pile of dried dead skin flakes it picks up from the seams.

They apparently slip through the threads in the sheet and gather in the mattress.The whole mattress is a crawling skin cell eating bacterium laden mass and you are sleeping on it .

:eek:

Here again we see the wisdom of sleeping on the "sack o'water" instead of a conventional bed. I can wash the mattress cover and wipe down the sack o'water with a damp cloth and a little weak bleach solution.

No crawling vermin for me!

ralph wiggum
02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Of course I never wash them. I just go and buy new ones every week and give the dirties to the poor people.

Doesn't everyone? :confused: :p

ROFL!! :D

AlmostThere
02-18-2010, 02:55 AM
After this thread I think I'm going to sleep on a bare concrete floor I can wash down with bleach every day. No pillow, no nuthin! :eek:

Bubba Dawg
02-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Three times a year....hmmmmmm....so it's once for every time they fluff the kitty eh wot nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean a wink is as good as a nudge to a blind man eh wot......

PoliCon
02-18-2010, 10:15 PM
We change our sheets daily. :cool:

Rockntractor
02-18-2010, 10:20 PM
We change our sheets daily. :cool:

You and your cat?:confused:

Kay
02-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Every weekend, usually on saturday, I wash my sheets. Every other weekend, I also
wash the comforter and both little yorkie rugs that lay on my bed with me every night.

One of my pet peeves is people I've known who will use the same bath towel for a
week or more at a time. I dry off once and then it goes in the washer.

PoliCon
02-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Every weekend, usually on saturday, I wash my sheets. Every other weekend, I also
wash the comforter and both little yorkie rugs that lay on my bed with me every night.

One of my pet peeves is people I've known who will use the same bath towel for a
week or more at a time. I dry off once and then it goes in the washer.

If you're clean when you get out - why do you have to wash it?

Rockntractor
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM

Pecker tracks!:eek:

PoliCon
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Pecker tracks!:eek:

how does it leave tracks when it's clean? :confused:

Gingersnap
02-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Spoken like a guy. :rolleyes:

All your clean but revolting dead skin cells that you just wiped off.

PoliCon
02-19-2010, 10:38 PM

Which is why it should be washed every few days.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 11:11 PM
This thread is like some kind of Brit bashing thread and highly offensive to the rest of the Brits who wash their sheets twice a year which, I might add, is twice as often as they brush their teeth. So, can we please refrain from disparaging British people here? Thanks.

Gingersnap
02-19-2010, 11:16 PM
This thread is like some kind of Brit bashing thread and highly offensive to the rest of the Brits who wash their sheets twice a year which, I might add, is twice as often as they brush their teeth. So, can we please refrain from disparaging British people here? Thanks.

Speaking as genetic Viking, whatever. At least they popularized tea through conquest and that's something we can all get behind. :D

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Speaking as genetic Viking, whatever. At least they popularized tea through conquest and that's something we can all get behind. :D

I too am a genetic Viking! Small world!

PoliCon
02-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I too am a genetic Viking! Small world!

another damn ginger!?:eek:

Rockntractor
02-19-2010, 11:48 PM
They don't all have polka dots and red hair.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 11:57 PM

Ginger is a Goodyear, I am apparently a retread.

Rockntractor
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Ginger is a Goodyear, I am apparently a retread.

And just when you were gaining traction!:confused:

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 12:05 AM
And just when you were gaining traction!:confused:

I have never broken a bone yet, but I have broken a leg or twenty in my day.

hampshirebrit
02-20-2010, 02:32 PM

What do you know about anything civilised, Bridge and Tunnel person.

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 02:39 PM

Hey, at least we know which side of the road to drive on. :p

PoliCon
02-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey, at least we know which side of the road to drive on. :p

and how to properly cook pizza!

Kay
02-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Exactly.

Rockntractor
02-20-2010, 02:45 PM
See what happens when you don't post for awhile?:rolleyes:

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey, maybe Poli is a dust mite rancher.

http://dustmitemagic.com/images/dust-mite-500-time.jpg

PoliCon
02-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey, maybe Poli is a dust mite rancher.

http://dustmitemagic.com/images/dust-mite-500-time.jpg

I done already said - the maid changes my sheets every day.

Rockntractor
02-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I done already said - the maid changes my sheets every day.

Maid, yeah right.

PoliCon
02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Maid, yeah right.
What? You don't have one? :p

Rockntractor
02-20-2010, 07:43 PM
What? You don't have one? :p

If I actually believed you I would call you a lazy ass!:rolleyes:

PoliCon
02-20-2010, 07:46 PM
If I actually believed you I would call you a lazy ass!:rolleyes:

Why because I let her do the womens work? ;)

RobJohnson
02-20-2010, 10:39 PM
My sheets get dirty often. :D

Ever heard of the candy Fun Dip? It was a wild Valentines Day.