PDA

View Full Version : Ash Wednesday 2010

Gingersnap
02-17-2010, 09:56 AM
It's the same old low 40s for a high today. This picture will change tonight and colder temps will move in along with snow over the next few days. It will stay really cold even after the snow moves on.

Sadie took the doggie Triple Crown last night and she's a cutie. I've got to admit that I like Scottie kitsch more than I like Scottie dogs. All the Scotties I've met in person were kind of smelly. Scout was bitterly disappointed that a Puli won BoB. :(

Today is Ash Wednesday which is a pretty big deal to people who belong to liturgical churches (although more bible-believing types are seeing the use of it). Many people will attend services today. A rising number of people walking around with ashes on their foreheads will not even be members of any church. A lot of other people will be altering their diets and leisure time to conform to the penitential nature of the season.

TOTD: What, if anything, will you be doing this Lent? Non-religious fans of Western Civ can get in on this act too. Lent is an excellent (and traditional) time to take stock of life, drop bad habits, cultivate better habits, and generally do some serious "work" on yourself before the frivolity of BBQ season.

So, what will you be up to this Lent? :D

megimoo
02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
It's the same old low 40s for a high today. This picture will change tonight and colder temps will move in along with snow over the next few days. It will stay really cold even after the snow moves on.

Sadie took the doggie Triple Crown last night and she's a cutie. I've got to admit that I like Scottie kitsch more than I like Scottie dogs. All the Scotties I've met in person were kind of smelly. Scout was bitterly disappointed that a Puli won BoB. :(

Today is Ash Wednesday which is a pretty big deal to people who belong to liturgical churches (although more bible-believing types are seeing the use of it). Many people will attend services today. A rising number of people walking around with ashes on their foreheads will not even be members of any church. A lot of other people will be altering their diets and leisure time to conform to the penitential nature of the season.

TOTD: What, if anything, will you be doing this Lent? Non-religious fans of Western Civ can get in on this act too. Lent is an excellent (and traditional) time to take stock of life, drop bad habits, cultivate better habits, and generally do some serious "work" on yourself before the frivolity of BBQ season.

So, what will you be up to this Lent? :DBright and sunny here.High in the mid thirty's and I'm looking for some spring signs.Sackcloth and ashes,no meat today and no eating between .Forty days of mild penance with introspection of my selfish evil ways.Re read the scriptures and watch the Passion of the Christ over Holy Thursday .I was looking for a new saint to be who hasn't yet had two official miracle to intercede for a sick family member and found one.The Servant Of Christ,Alphonse Gallegos.

"Before someone can be declared a saint, the Catholic church requires that those putting forward the candidate follow a series of specified steps that have been laid down and subsequently modified over the centuries.

Becoming a saint is not an easy or automatic process. Full canonization the process leading to the declaration of sainthood can often take decades or even centuries."

The first step is to be declared a "Servant of God".

After some proven virtuous life examination the candidate is said to be "heroic in virtue" and is referred to by the title "Venerable".

"Blessed" Beatification is a statement by the church that it is "worthy of belief" that the person is in heaven, having come to salvation.

The final step is to be declared "Saint" To be canonized a saint, one (or more) miracle is necessary. Canonization is a statement by the church that the person certainly enjoys the Beatific Vision.

"Sacramento - The body of Sacramento Bishop Alphonse Gallegos will soon be exhumed in an effort to make him a saint.Bishop Gallegos was laid to rest at St. Mary's cemetery back in 1991.

On March 27th, his remains will be moved to Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish. His tomb is already being constructed. The process to make him a saint started almost 5 years ago.

His past is being researched and there must be proof of two miracles. The Catholic Diocese of Sacramento says there is already proof of one. "
http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-bishopsainthood,0,6250583.story

FlaGator
02-17-2010, 12:24 PM

So, what will you be up to this Lent? :D

Work on improving my relationship with God and mediating on His will for my life. Same stuff as usual but just more concerted.:)

RobJohnson
02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I have the day off work and it will be in the 70's again.

Doctor's appt this morning for my neck & back and alot of fun stuff to do this afternoon.

I slept in. :p

TOTD: Lent was a big deal when I was in the resturant biz and I did a "friday fish fry." Now I could care less about the lent season and will make no lifestyle changes as a result of that. :D

Any of the seasonal holidays are good for my little Fortune 100 company that I work for & own stock in. They need to make up a few more.