PDA

View Full Version : A Census Worker Showed Up

Milly
02-17-2010, 10:26 AM
at my door today. He was trying to find SOMEBODY willing to work for the census in our county, since very few people had applied.

I'm retired, and can easily pass the test, but I'm curious. With the unemployment rate in NE Indiana (15.7%) and so many folks dropping off the rolls. why aren't more people applying for these jobs? This is a rural area so the chances of my getting shot are pretty low.

Another question is this: where do I find out exactly which questions people MUST answer? If I ask the folks who do the hiring, I'm sure they'll say 'All of them' but I'm not sure that's entirely true.

Advice, please. I could use the $$.

Rebel Yell
02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
at my door today. He was trying to find SOMEBODY willing to work for the census in our county, since very few people had applied.

I'm retired, and can easily pass the test, but I'm curious. With the unemployment rate in NE Indiana (15.7%) and so many folks dropping off the rolls. why aren't more people applying for these jobs? This is a rural area so the chances of my getting shot are pretty low.

Another question is this: where do I find out exactly which questions people MUST answer? If I ask the folks who do the hiring, I'm sure they'll say 'All of them' but I'm not sure that's entirely true.

I have a friend, who is retired, is a census supervisor. He tried to get me to take the test. According to him, if you're not just slap ass retarded, you should be a supervisor. It pays $11 an hour, but there is a four day training that I can't get off work for.

Milly
02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a friend, who is retired, is a census supervisor. He tried to get me to take the test. According to him, if you're not just slap ass retarded, you should be a supervisor. It pays $11 an hour, but there is a four day training that I can't get off work for.

He didn't say what the job openings were, just that they needed people. I'm in a real quandry over this, since the questions on this year's census are so intrusive,

patriot45
02-17-2010, 11:33 AM

According to Walter Williams (http://www.creators.com/opinion/walter-williams/the-census-and-the-constitution.html)this is what he will do!

What to do? Unless a census taker can show me a constitutional requirement, the only information I plan to give are the number and names of the people in my household. The census taker might say, "It's the law." Thomas Jefferson said, "Whensoever the General Government (Washington) assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force."

Gingersnap
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
He didn't say what the job openings were, just that they needed people. I'm in a real quandry over this, since the questions on this year's census are so intrusive,

I looked at the questions and there are two race questions but that's about it for controversy. The American Community Survey is the intrusive one but that's an on-going effort. I don't know that any temp census workers would be involved with that one.

I'd say "go for it". The test is ridiculous (you can take a sample test online) and they pay you for the training. You need a car. You need to be available when most people are home. That's it.

megimoo
02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I looked at the questions and there are two race questions but that's about it for controversy. The American Community Survey is the intrusive one but that's an on-going effort. I don't know that any temp census workers would be involved with that one.

I'd say "go for it". The test is ridiculous (you can take a sample test online) and they pay you for the training. You need a car. You need to be available when most people are home. That's it.And depending on where you work a bullet proof vest and a Chaos & Mayhem Chain-Mail Chastity Belt !

Articulate_Ape
02-17-2010, 11:53 AM

If this guy answers the door, don't agree to have a nice cup of coffee.

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/lecter.jpg

Milly
02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the help. Apparently the census itself isn't too bad, it's the ACS that's the problem.

I wonder if they'll let me carry a side-arm? I have a CCP.

FlaGator
02-17-2010, 12:14 PM
If this guy answers the door, don't agree to have a nice cup of coffee.

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/lecter.jpg

Got fava beans?

marv
02-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Milly, I'm retired since Dec, '92, and I worked the census for 2000. SW Missouri is also a rural area.

My experience:
Of the fifteen or so who responded to the local ad, I was the only one who could read a map.

Most applicants were single mom's and unemployeds looking for the meager money, which was frequently incorrect or late. No allowance for gas.

The maps were hopelessly outdated showing roads going through barns as much as 50 years old, and trees with trunks a foot in diameter.

I wore my large brass NRA life belt buckle which helped me with some normally suspicious folks.

Being a dog lover, and knowing how to approach large and intimidating dogs, helped me when I would come across pot farms or meth labs.

Generally, the people you work for won't know what they're doing either. If you do this for the money, they're probably in the same situation as you.

The "training" was a joke.I don't think things have changed much under the Chicago mob, except for the number of hires which seems to have increased beyond all expectations - or need. Maybe this is a full employment program for the Chicago Southside ward heelers.......

My 2...........

BTW, I got my mail-in form today. I'm either gonna ignore it, or maybe write some choice obscenity on it and mail it in. Haven't decided yet............

Gingersnap
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the help. Apparently the census itself isn't too bad, it's the ACS that's the problem.

I wonder if they'll let me carry a side-arm? I have a CCP.

I don't see why not. Firearm restrictions usually apply to the actual physical work place. You'd be crazy to wander around alone without an "equalizer". ;)

Even if there was a restriction and you had to actually use a weapon to discourage a situation, what's the worst that would happen? They'd write you up? They'd fire you? That's not worth your life.