PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity chef Beppe Bigazzi upsets viewers with his cat casserole

bijou
02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
A top Italian food writer has been suspended indefinitely from the country’s version of the television programme Ready Steady Cook for recommending stewed cat to viewers as a “succulent dish”.

RAI, the public broadcasting network, said that it had dropped Beppe Bigazzi, 77, for offering the recipe on La Prova del Cuoco, which is broadcast at midday on the main channel. Its switchboard was inundated with complaints from viewers and animal rights groups. Bigazzi said that casserole of cat was a famous dish in his home region of Valdarno, Tuscany.

“I’ve eaten it myself and it’s a lot better than many other animals,” he told viewers. “Better than chicken, rabbit or pigeon.” He said that for optimum flavour the meat should be “soaked in spring water for three days” before being stewed.

Elisa Isoardi, the programme’s presenter — who has a cat called Othello — tried to steer Bigazzi off the subject. Reports said that during the commercial break she and the show’s producers tried to persuade him to apologise to viewers but he refused. ...yummo! (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article7029058.ece)

I don't really like cats and wouldn't want to eat one, but I do think some people are being a tad over sensitive about this.

Gingersnap
02-17-2010, 02:25 PM
My dog wants easier recipes. :cool:

noonwitch
02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm not thrilled with the idea of cat meat dishes. I have a cat, and I feed the strays in my neighborhood. I wouldn't want to eat dog meat for similar reasons.

I'm less thrilled with the idea of a channel firing a guy in response to complaints from animal rights activists.

Articulate_Ape
02-17-2010, 06:28 PM
I think this (http://www.livefully.info/dog.html) belongs here. If not, would a mod please move it?

Thanks

Bubba Dawg
02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
What's the big deal about eating pu.....okay. Even I am not going there.....:o

Articulate_Ape
02-17-2010, 08:35 PM
On another note, doesn't Beppe sound like something you would name a pet, if you were Italian?

Bubba Dawg
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
On another note, doesn't Beppe sound like something you would name a pet, if you were Italian?

Now that you mention it.....:D

Rockntractor
02-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Take one 5 pound cat, drive over with snow tires to tenderize. serve fresh with toast and butter!

Bubba Dawg
02-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Doesn't Shannon have a really quick and easy Cat Recipe......

runs|

Rockntractor
02-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Doesn't Shannon have a really quick and easy Cat Recipe......

runs|

Those are potions!

bijou
02-18-2010, 02:22 AM
What's the big deal about eating pu.....okay. Even I am not going there.....:o

Congratulations on your self restraint.

Bubba Dawg
02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Congratulations on your self restraint.

Thanks Beeg....I am moderate in my speech and habits, eh wot? :D