PDA

View Full Version : I Am Back On The Wagon

lacarnut
02-17-2010, 02:58 PM
After sitting at the computer for a few minutes this am, I experienced lower left back pain. Exercised for about 30 min and it went away. So I decided that if exercise is the ticket I just might as well go back on the South Beach Diet again. Chunked all my cookies, crackers and other junk food and am going to start eating right. I had lost 60 pounds on this diet a year or so ago; got back to my bad habits and gained most of it back. At 270, I need to get to around 200. I will get there in 6 months cause once I make up mind to do something, it will get done. Ridding myself of those things high in calories and sugar items works for me.

noonwitch
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
You are right about the exercise thing. Swimming has really helped with my arthritic knees.

I'm glad you're feeling better, overall, and if you can stick to a strict diet, more power to you!

jediab
02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
You are right about the exercise thing. Swimming has really helped with my arthritic knees.

I'm glad you're feeling better, overall, and if you can stick to a strict diet, more power to you!

Swimming does wonders for people with certain ailments. It's why they have old folks do water aerobics all the time.

Uh...Not that I was calling you old Noonwitch. :p

noonwitch
02-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Swimming does wonders for people with certain ailments. It's why they have old folks do water aerobics all the time.

I would have never taken it that way, without the last sentence! My arthritis is not from age, it's from a couple of bad falls I've taken in the last decade. The first of those falls involved me tripping on uneven cement on a foster parent's front porch-I fell about 4 feet down, and my knees landed directly on the sidewalk. I didn't break any bones, though. The second fall broke my arm and redamaged my right knee. My arm recovered better than the knee, although I can't move my arm the right way to play my violin anymore.

lacarnut
02-17-2010, 03:23 PM

I am old. You think Uncle Sam would let me take a deduction on my Income tax return if I built a pool or joined a health club?:)

JB
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
If you're going to exercise and eat right it's the perfect time to take up smoking.

lacarnut
02-17-2010, 08:40 PM
If you're going to exercise and eat right it's the perfect time to take up smoking.

I have already been thru that phase of my life. What are you trying to do; kill me.:D

NJCardFan
02-17-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm actually giving Nutrisystem another try. I did pretty well on it before. Now that my shoulder seems to be responding to cortisone, it's back to exercising. I'm doing the Biggest Loser on Wii and it ain't easy.

Rockntractor
02-17-2010, 10:20 PM
I have already been thru that phase of my life. What are you trying to do; kill me.:D

No more deep fried possum, you need to go with them baked.

NJCardFan
02-17-2010, 11:06 PM

Clark: Where the hell is Eddie? He usually eats these things(squirrels).

Katherine: Oh, he doesn't anymore ever since he found out they're high in cholesterol.

Rockntractor
02-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Clark: Where the hell is Eddie? He usually eats these things(squirrels).

Katherine: Oh, he doesn't anymore ever since he found out they're high in cholesterol.
I saw kind of a ghetto meat market in New Orleans one time. If it moved it was on the menu!:D

lacarnut
02-17-2010, 11:59 PM

I have eaten gumbo and jambalaya with strange looking meat in it at Cajun friends houses. It's one of those deals; don't ask cause you don't really want to know.

SaintLouieWoman
02-18-2010, 12:04 AM
I have eaten gumbo and jambalaya with strange looking meat in it at Cajun friends houses. It's one of those deals; don't ask cause you don't really want to know.
I lived in Poplar Bluff, Mo a year after I graduated from college. Went to dinner at the neighbors. We had stew. His wife told me to be careful, because they might not have gotten all the pellets out of the squirrel meat. :eek:

Good luck with the diet. At the health club, they keep saying it's good to exercise, but diet combined with the exercise is key.

Water aerobics really is a good exercise for those with knee problems. Plain old water walking at a good pace is good for buildling endurance. And not all the women in the water aerobics classes are old----some are in their 20's. It's just good conditioning and easy on the joints.

The Y has arthritis classes in the pool, but not at our club.

RobJohnson
02-18-2010, 12:26 AM
After sitting at the computer for a few minutes this am, I experienced lower left back pain. Exercised for about 30 min and it went away. So I decided that if exercise is the ticket I just might as well go back on the South Beach Diet again. Chunked all my cookies, crackers and other junk food and am going to start eating right. I had lost 60 pounds on this diet a year or so ago; got back to my bad habits and gained most of it back. At 270, I need to get to around 200. I will get there in 6 months cause once I make up mind to do something, it will get done. Ridding myself of those things high in calories and sugar items works for me.

Glad to hear you are about to make some changes to improve your health, that's never a bad idea.

RobJohnson
02-18-2010, 12:29 AM
I would have never taken it that way, without the last sentence! My arthritis is not from age, it's from a couple of bad falls I've taken in the last decade. The first of those falls involved me tripping on uneven cement on a foster parent's front porch-I fell about 4 feet down, and my knees landed directly on the sidewalk. I didn't break any bones, though. The second fall broke my arm and redamaged my right knee. My arm recovered better than the knee, although I can't move my arm the right way to play my violin anymore.

Ouch!

lacarnut
02-18-2010, 01:15 AM
I saw kind of a ghetto meat market in New Orleans one time. If it moved it was on the menu!:D

I used to go out to eat with one of my crazy co-workers. We had an IT dude join us at this Chinese restaurant. After we went thru the buffet line, he asked my friend what kind of meat he was eating. He said it was German Shepard. The guy lost it and that was the end of his lunch.

RobJohnson
02-18-2010, 01:29 AM
I used to go out to eat with one of my crazy co-workers. We had an IT dude join us at this Chinese restaurant. After we went thru the buffet line, he asked my friend what kind of meat he was eating. He said it was German Shepard. The guy lost it and that was the end of his lunch.

LOL

I hope your back continues to feel better also.