PDA

View Full Version : Rel: What do you believe?

Articulate_Ape
02-18-2010, 09:48 PM
As I am relatively new to CU, and certain people have made assumptions about my spiritual beliefs, I thought I would create a thread that addresses this issue as it relates to all members who wish to opine on this subject. I am doing this so that I might have a better handle on where each of you stands with regard to your beliefs in a god, or lack thereof, and your reason for selecting your religious affiliation if you have one.

I would ask that you follow the format below in your responses (each of which is optional) and that all comments remain on topic. I further ask that respect for the opinions of others' prevails at all times.

I will go first in the example format that I ask that you follow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Do you believe in God (Yes/No): Yes

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): Mostly because I just know there is more to all of this than meets our natural senses. But also because science, rather than disproving God, validates God's existence to me with each new discovery.

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later):

2. What is your religious affiliation? None

3. How much of the Bible have you read?
All of it ( X )
Mostly the Old Testament ( )
Mostly the New Testament ( )
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? No

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So answer and discuss.

If you choose to participate, thanks.

patriot45
02-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Shouldn't this be in Sports. :cool::rolleyes:

Articulate_Ape
02-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Shouldn't this be in Sports. :cool::rolleyes:

Why, are you a bad sport there too?

patriot45
02-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Why, are you a bad sport there too?

Yankee Fan.

:D

MrsSmith
02-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Traditionally, our REL: topics were always in Sports because Coach was the only one willing to referee them. :)

Articulate_Ape
02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Yankee Fan.

:D

Next contestant please.

patriot45
02-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Traditionally, our REL: topics were always in Sports because Coach was the only one willing to referee them. :)

Thank you!

Articulate_Ape
02-18-2010, 10:02 PM

This will be refereed, madam, I can assure you. Kudos on your avoidance technique though.

PoliCon
02-18-2010, 10:03 PM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): I have had a life changing born again experience and I know, because I know, because I know that Jesus Christ is God and that he loves me and I love Him. :)

2. What is your religious affiliation? Christian

All of it ( X ) repeatedly
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? I believe that the Bible is truthfully recorded and contains the written word of God.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yup.

MrsSmith
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): Short: I don't have enough "faith" to believe that all this came about by accident. Also, I've met His Son, always a life and heart changing event.

2. What is your religious affiliation? Southern Baptist

All of it ( X ) Except not all of a couple of the OT books of prophesy. Most of the NT repeatedly.
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? The original manuscripts, yes. Our current translations are as close as we can get.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes, and examined evidence, as in "New Evidence That Demands a Verdict." Also happen to be married to a minister, so have my own walking, talking reference manual at need. :D

patriot45
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
This will be refereed, madam, I can assure you. Kudos on your avoidance technique though.

Kudos on your sublety though.

MrsSmith
02-18-2010, 10:05 PM

Not avoiding, merely explaining the reference to Sports. :rolleyes: It used to be questioned a lot more.

Articulate_Ape
02-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you both. Your input is much appreciated. I hope others will follow your lead.

Articulate_Ape
02-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Well, I think this has worked out well so far.

patriot45
02-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, I think this has worked out well so far.

Tell you what skippy, I'll answer #1 - Yes. I'm not getting into a 500 post discussion why.

malloc
02-19-2010, 12:00 AM
I'll play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): My interest in the sciences.

2. What is your religious affiliation? My dog tags say FUBIJAR, but the answer is None.

All of it ( )
A little of both ( X)
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? No.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Some

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So answer and discuss.

Kay
02-19-2010, 01:05 AM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later):
I know Him and He is always with me just like the air that I breath.

2. What is your religious affiliation?: Lutheran

All of it (X) -- but not cover to cover in one setting, rather spread out over decades
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? No I do not

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes, took 9 hours of bible classes in college, plus a lot of individual research and study on my own of the bible along with other various world religions

Constitutionally Speaking
02-19-2010, 08:12 AM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): I find it very difficult to believe this all has happened by chance. There is also ample archeological evidence to back up the historical aspects of the Bible - and the things that were once dismissed as ridiculous by archeologists are now being found to be true. I also have been blessed in so many ways that it is just too big a coincidence to lay at the foot of chance.

2. What is your religious affiliation? Conservative Christian - I believe the Bible is God's divinely inspired word. Not just a collection of stories.

All of it ( X ) (I did skip over the "begats".)
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? Yes

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes

Gingersnap
02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Not avoiding, merely explaining the reference to Sports. :rolleyes: It used to be questioned a lot more.

I should have mentioned something about Sports. Back in the day, Coach babysat REL threads in that Forum. He's been gone for years and there's no real need to put these threads outside of GD.

Unless they get dumped into the Dome for bad behavior.

Of course, no one among our current CU membership would ever do anything like that nowadays because we are all adults and because I can find each and every one of you if need be. :)

FlaGator
02-19-2010, 10:00 AM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): I came to believe after God made His presence felt in my life by curing me of several afflictions and demons that I had (alcoholism, drug abuse).

2. What is your religious affiliation? Anglican

All of it ( X ) (several times. I am constantly reading and studying
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? Yes

FlaGator
02-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I should have mentioned something about Sports. Back in the day, Coach babysat REL threads in that Forum. He's been gone for years and there's no real need to put these threads outside of GD.

Unless they get dumped into the Dome for bad behavior.

Of course, no one among our current CU membership would ever do anything like that nowadays because we are all adults and because I can find each and every one of you if need be. :)

I'll referree this thread though it seems like that won't be necessary.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Again, I appreciate all of your replies.

Gingersnap
02-19-2010, 10:07 AM
I'll referree this thread though it seems like that won't be necessary.

It looks like it's doing just fine. :)

FlaGator
02-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Again, I appreciate all of your replies.

I appreciate the questions.

BadCat
02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
As I am relatively new to CU, and certain people have made assumptions about my spiritual beliefs, I thought I would create a thread that addresses this issue as it relates to all members who wish to opine on this subject. I am doing this so that I might have a better handle on where each of you stands with regard to your beliefs in a god, or lack thereof, and your reason for selecting your religious affiliation if you have one.

I would ask that you follow the format below in your responses (each of which is optional) and that all comments remain on topic. I further ask that respect for the opinions of others' prevails at all times.

I will go first in the example format that I ask that you follow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): Mostly because I just know there is more to all of this than meets our natural senses. But also because science, rather than disproving God, validates God's existence to me with each new discovery.

All of it ( X )
A little of both ( )
None ( )

So answer and discuss.

Yet you seem very familiar.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Yet you seem very familiar.

Mom?

BadCat
02-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Mom?

Retread?

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Retread?

C'mon, you aren't THAT old.

Oh...you mean me! Nope. No alt here.

noonwitch
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
1. Do you believe in God? Yes.

2. Why? Because I have had spiritual encounters with Jesus, after years of practicing another religion, and realized how much I had missed His presence in my life. I've also participated in healing circles, in which I and others prayed for sick people, and I could feel the power of the Holy Spirit moving through me and everyone else involved to help the person we were laying hands on.

3. Religious affiliation: I currently am a member of and a volunteer at a Unity church, which is a very liberal christian denomination. I grew up in the mainline denominations-mostly the UCC, but I was baptized in the UMC. I had relatives who were episcopalian, methodist, lutheran and catholic and attended various family events at each. There was a catholic church in my backyard, too, so I attended some youth group things there and was on their approved babysitter list for their parishoners. I also grew up in a community with a strong dutch reformed influence, attended AWANA events with baptist friends, and was very involved in Young Life in high school. I chucked all that to practice Wicca for a decade or so, before I realized how much I missed the presence of Jesus in my life.

4. How much of the Bible have you read? All of it, several times, in different translations including the KJV, NIV and NRSV.

5. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? No. I believe it is God's message to mankind as recorded by mankind, which leaves it short of infallible to me. I believe it is inspired by God.

6. Have you explored the history of the Bible? Yes, and I continue to do so. I enjoy reading biblical scholarship from all perspectives, even that of people who believe it to be the literal Word of God, or humanist atheists like Harold Bloom, who critique it from a literary perspective. I've been reading a lot of commentary on the Sermon on the Mountain of late. I have a list of books to get the next time I'm in Grand Rapids and can visit Baker Book House. I tend to pick my reading material from the footnotes of whatever I just read, because I want to follow up on a point made in that book.
Everyone who reads the Bible has an interesting perspective, from my point of view. I have a natural curiousity for people in general, and am interested in what they believe and how their beliefs influence their lives.

Gingersnap
02-19-2010, 10:51 AM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): Both science and my own experience makes it obvious to me that there is a Creator. I have had personal proof of the Divine.

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later): N/A

2. What is your religious affiliation? Continuing Anglican (and nose bleed High, at that).

All of it ( X )
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? I believe it is inerrant and sufficient for faith and morals. ;)

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes, I took years of biblical criticism in college.

djones520
02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
1. Do you believe in God (Yes/No): No

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later):

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later):The reasons are to numerous to briefly go into, and I generally don't like to discuss why anyways. I feel a persons reasons for believing such a thing should be a personal matter, and everyone should respect that. Now I will sometimes "debate" certain issues, but I always try to stick to the physical arguments and avoid the spirtual.

2. What is your religious affiliation? Atheist

All of it ( )
A little of both ( X )
None ( )

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the latest additions here.

NJCardFan
02-19-2010, 08:53 PM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): There is too much beauty in the world and too many coincidences to simply explain life off as a series of accidents all happening in the right order. Also, I believe there is a being of evil as well and where there is a yin there is a yang.

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later): N/A

2. What is your religious affiliation? Nothing organized. I believe that organized religion isn't what God had intended and that it goes against all that He teaches as well as Christ's teaching to sit there and say that I'm better than you because you're a Catholic and I'm a Protestant. But if you need to know, I was raised Roman Catholic and eventually became a Nondenominational Christian. I am my own church.

All of it ( X )-But understand only a little of it.
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? Maybe it was supposed to be but not if there are different versions of the same book all written in English.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Studied? No. Interested in? Absolutely.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks, NJCardFan. I think the candidness of everyone's answers here so far is awesome.

stsinner
02-19-2010, 09:14 PM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): As I look at my newborn daughters, a being created from an egg and a motivated sperm soldier, I can't help but believe in the power of almighty God.. All you have to do is look around you at nature and the magnificence of life, and you can learn all you need to know about things that just had to have The divine hand involved..

2. What is your religious affiliation? Roman Catholic

All of it ( X )
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? I believe it's as close as we can get to translations that of God's word for mankind.

How empty those must be who answer no to question one.. What a horrible thought that some people actually believe that when you die your soul snuffs out like the Easter candle...

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks, stsinner. And as for question one? Everyone chooses what they believe or do not believe. While I, like you, have a very difficult time imagining that this is "it", there are those that think that. At the end of the day they live with their beliefs just as we live with ours.

stsinner
02-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks, stsinner. And as for question one? Everyone chooses what they believe or do not believe. While I, like you, have a very difficult time imagining that this is "it", there are those that think that. At the end of the day they live with their beliefs just as we live with ours.

I don't know how much you'll like me after you read my post in the gays in the Conservative movement thread.....

Teetop
02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
1. Do you believe in God (Yes/No): No.

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later):N/A

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later):How can God just be sitting around with nothing to do, then think, "I think I will create this huge universe with galaxies and human life." Who or what created God then? Did God just appear out of nowhere? There are many things that humans do not understand about our surroundings, our universe happens to be the biggest one. I do believe in historical Jesus, sure. He helped the people fend for themselves, feed themselves and use their heads for more than being someone's slave. Where did God come from, an actual honest answer and I might start to believe in God.

2. What is your religious affiliation? None/agnostic. I was born into and baptized in the Methodist Church.

All of it ( X )
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? Not only no, but hell no! How many times has the Bible been "tromped on" by those who have an agenda, since it was first written? King James version as an example.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes, that's why I don't trust it, in it's present form.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't know how much you'll like me after you read my post in the gays in the Conservative movement thread.....

It takes a great deal for me to not like a person, stsinner.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks, Teetop.

djones520
02-19-2010, 09:58 PM

As to that, I deal with it two ways. 1. I just don't think about it. 2. When I do, I think about how I'm making my go at it worth it. And not just for myself, but for others as well.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:01 PM
As to that, I deal with it two ways. 1. I just don't think about it. 2. When I do, I think about how I'm making my go at it worth it. And not just for myself, but for others as well.

Good plan, IMHO. I am following the same one.

Teetop
02-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks, Teetop.

My pleasure.

I answered honestly and meant to offend no one. I believe people can have whatever faith, or lack of, they want in their lives.

Rockntractor
02-19-2010, 10:02 PM

At twenty five you are immortal. I'll check with you when you get older!

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:03 PM
My pleasure.

I answered honestly and meant to offend no one. I believe people can have whatever faith, or lack of, they want in their lives.

I appreciate both your honesty and your point of view. Thanks again.

djones520
02-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Anything but Rock, anything but.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:06 PM

How old are you? I am nearing 50 and I agree with djones' philosophy and wish I had had such insight at 25.

PoliCon
02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
It takes a great deal for me to not like a person, stsinner.

Give him a chance.

Gingersnap
02-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Give him a chance.

Be nice. ;)

PoliCon
02-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Be nice. ;)

I AM!:D

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Give him a chance.

Give me one.

Rockntractor
02-19-2010, 10:50 PM
How old are you? I am nearing 50 and I agree with djones' philosophy and wish I had had such insight at 25.

He states he is an atheist and you agree to agnostic a much more seasoned and honest position.

enslaved1
02-19-2010, 10:53 PM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): I had an experience with God moving the last rock off the path between Him and me, as well as an experience with a church that matched much more closely the one I had read about in Acts than most of the ones I had been involved in.

2. What is your religious affiliation? I am a member of the Free Methodist Church

All of it ( X )
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? Yes, if any of it is not, then the whole thing is a sham

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
He states he is an atheist and you agree to agnostic a much more seasoned and honest position.

The difference between an atheist and an agnostic is that the former thinks god does not exist and the latter thinks god does exist, but feels unworthy of defining the nature/will of god.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Thank you for sharing, enslaved1.

djones520
02-19-2010, 10:57 PM
The difference between an atheist and an agnostic is that the former thinks god does not exist and the latter thinks god does exist, but feels unworthy of defining the nature/will of god.

Don't mind Rock. He's been trying to tell me what my religous beliefs are for a while now. ;):p

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Don't mind Rock. He's been trying to tell me what my religous beliefs are for a while now. ;):p

Heh. I don't mind Rock at all.

MrsSmith
02-19-2010, 11:48 PM
I'd like to make one comment about the "beginning of God." The word "eternal" means, essentially, "no beginning and no ending." The created has a beginning...and someday an ending. The Creator, by definition, has neither. He not only created the universe, He also created energy...and Time.

Articulate_Ape
02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
I'd like to make one comment about the "beginning of God." The word "eternal" means, essentially, "no beginning and no ending." The created has a beginning...and someday an ending. The Creator, by definition, has neither. He not only created the universe, He also created energy...and Time.

Great point. I think it is fascinating that most people can somewhat grasp "no end" (whether it be an ever expanding universe or an abyss), but how many people can get their head around "no beginning"? To me this inability is a large part of why I believe in God.

Rockntractor
02-20-2010, 12:24 AM

We discussed it once about three months ago. Dude you got a chip on your shoulder!

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 12:28 AM
We discussed it once about three months ago. Dude you got a chip on your shoulder!

Not here please.

djones520
02-20-2010, 12:41 AM

Smilies man, smilies.

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Smilies man, smilies.

Yeah. http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/fartdie.gif

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Now, where were we?

Rockntractor
02-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Now, where were we?

New Jersey, Oklahoma and Scott Air force base.

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 01:00 AM
New Jersey, Oklahoma and Scott Air force base.

Now that we have cleared that up, can we please stay on topic? Thank you.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-20-2010, 11:51 AM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): Mostly because I just know there is more to all of this than meets our natural senses. But also because science, rather than disproving God, validates God's existence to me with each new discovery. But I am unsure of the nature of God, or God is a ''being'' in the sense that we are--a creature, immaterial or material--or simply a force of energy or even pure will. I think of God more in a metaphysical sense than a theological or religious sense, an almost scientific sense, but I do believe there is some sort of creative force, being, power, whatever one chooses to call it.

2. What is your religious affiliation? None, I was raised Roman Catholic and while I find the message, teachings and morals of Christ to be completely just and good, I tend to doubt his divinity. I'm unsure. Maybe he was a manifestation of God, but not the God of the Old Testament; the God of the OT and NT seem to be very different entities. I do believe he existed, and as I agree with his teachings I guess I could be called a "Christian" in a very loose usage of the word. I have leaned more and more toward Hinduism, as it seems to be the closest to what I believe to be the truth, but I'm still learning about the religion and it's very complex.

All of it ( )
Mostly the Old Testament (X )
Mostly the New Testament (X )
A little of both ( )
None ( )

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Not all of it, but a good chunk of it, particularly the removed books and the early Catholic councils.

Apache
02-20-2010, 12:26 PM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): The world works...

2. What is your religious affiliation? Christian
All of it ( X ) A few times, in several different translations
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? Where God speaks, Yes....
Through some self study.

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks you two.

FlaGator
02-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I have a question (this is for Christians)... if I may, for those who believe but don't believe that the Bible is the word of God how do you know which parts of the Bible to believe and which parts to discard?

Apache
02-20-2010, 01:14 PM
I have a question (this is for Christians)... if I may, for those who believe but don't believe that the Bible is the word of God how do you know which parts of the Bible to believe and which parts to discard?

For me-translations...Things added and lost by those who didn't know what they were doing. Now where God himself is speaking I don't doubt....

hampshirebrit
02-20-2010, 02:48 PM

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later): It's too absurd a set of fairytales for me to believe in. And I wouldn't want it to be true, even if it was. I am no-one's sheep.

2. What is your religious affiliation? Anti-theist.

All of it , till my eyes started bleeding.

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? No, it's the various plagiarised rantings of delusional men. Nowadays we lock people like that up, for good reason.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes, been to Israel, and the rest of the ME, seen for myself how much damage the big three have caused. Religion is the biggest reason that humanity is stuck where it is. If it wasn't for religion, we would not be fighting two wars right now.

Space Gravy
02-20-2010, 03:28 PM
1. Do you believe in God (Yes/No): I don't know.

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later): I haven't seen enough evidence to convince me. However, never say never.

All of it ( )
A little of both ( )
None (X )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? No.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? No.

Molon Labe
02-20-2010, 08:20 PM
5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes, been to Israel, and the rest of the ME, seen for myself how much damage the big three have caused. Religion is the biggest reason that humanity is stuck where it is. If it wasn't for religion, we would not be fighting two wars right now.

Although I do have faith....that last part is so true of organized religion. I struggle with that in my beliefs as well. Gandhi once said it wasn't Christ that he had a problem with it was Christians.

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Although I do have faith....that last part is so true of organized religion. I struggle with that in my beliefs as well. Gandhi once said it wasn't Christ that he had a problem with it was Christians.

We have a separate discussion thread (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=25474) on this topic now. Please continue there. Thanks.

RobJohnson
02-20-2010, 09:22 PM

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later): It's too absurd a set of fairytales for me to believe in. And I wouldn't want it to be true, even if it was. I am no-one's sheep.

2. What is your religious affiliation? Anti-theist.

All of it , till my eyes started bleeding.

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? No, it's the various plagiarised rantings of delusional men. Nowadays we lock people like that up, for good reason.

Jesus also spoke using red print. :eek::p

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 07:01 AM

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): I had a personal encounter with God. The encounter was a calling of God to me by the Holy Spirit through the reading of scripture and preaching.

2. What is your religious affiliation? I was raised in a strict fundamentalist church. I am an Anglican in my sensibilities but the nearest conservative Anglican church is about 60 miles away and I believe in worshiping and serving God in my community so I attend a small Southern Baptist Church. Actually, Miz Bubba and I are becoming members of that church today. I still keep affiliation with an Anglican church to get a liturgical fix once a month or so. I love the celebration of the Eucharist.

All of it ( X )
A little of both ( )
None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? "I believe it is inerrant and sufficient for faith and morals." Ginger's answer but I agree.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes.

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Jesus also spoke using red print. :eek::p

Perhaps it is THE EVIL ONE disguising Himself as an Angel of Light!!!!!:eek::D

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 07:08 AM

I also have issues with organized religion, but I keep plugging away.

I think this is a funny Bumper Sticker. I didn't know that Gandhi quote but it sort of goes with it....:D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3559/3368247824_b749ab322d.jpg

Space Gravy
02-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I also have issues with organized religion, but I keep plugging away.

I think this is a funny Bumper Sticker. I didn't know that Gandhi quote but it sort of goes with it....:D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3559/3368247824_b749ab322d.jpg

So true.

asdf2231
02-22-2010, 01:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3eTsNEgmL8&feature=related