PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Scoring

NJCardFan
02-18-2010, 11:00 PM
OK, I'm stumped. Fall on your ass and you score high enough to score higher than someone who actually stayed on their feet? The hell am I missing?

The Night Owl
02-19-2010, 12:37 PM
OK, I'm stumped. Fall on your ass and you score high enough to score higher than someone who actually stayed on their feet? The hell am I missing?

You're not missing anything. Figure skating is a complete crock.

NJCardFan
02-19-2010, 02:25 PM
You're not missing anything. Figure skating is a complete crock.

To further expound on that, the guy who finished third, fell flat on his face yet the American kid skated a near flawless routine scored lower.

Bubba Dawg
02-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Who are we talking about here?

Evan Lysaecek (USA) won the Gold in the men's program.

I don't remember anyone in the top 3 falling. (maybe I'm wrong.)

The Russian skater (can't spell his name) was unsatisfied with his score and his silver medal. The Russian did quads but was not as technically proficient even though he attempted harder jumps.

Lysacek had a very good program and I thought he earned the Gold.

PoliCon
02-19-2010, 10:52 PM

There is the degree of difficulty factor. Skating in circles flawlessly is easy where as a tripple axel is hard and as such is weighted. Understand?

SaintLouieWoman
02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Who are we talking about here?

Evan Lysaecek (USA) won the Gold in the men's program.

I don't remember anyone in the top 3 falling. (maybe I'm wrong.)

The Russian skater (can't spell his name) was unsatisfied with his score and his silver medal. The Russian did quads but was not as technically proficient even though he attempted harder jumps.

Lysacek had a very good program and I thought he earned the Gold.

Good analysis. It's not just falling on the butt that takes away points. If someone doesn't skate as good a program, they get lower technical points.

Have to admit the judging isn't quite as blatantly biased as in previous years. At least they're disguising it better.