PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Speed Cameras Incite a Mini Revolt

megimoo
02-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Reporting from Phoenix - Arizonans drive long distances on their highways, and they like to do it fast.But since the Grand Canyon State began enforcing speed limits with roadside cameras, motorists are raging against the machines: They have blocked out the lenses with Post-it notes or Silly String. During the Christmas holidays, they covered the cameras with boxes, complete with wrapping paper.

One dissenting citizen went after a camera with a pick ax.

Arizona is the only state to implement "photo enforcement," as it's known, on major highways and is one of 12 states and 52 communities, plus the District of Columbia, with speed cameras, according to the nonprofit Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The cameras, paired with radar devices, photograph vehicles exceeding the speed limit by 11 mph or more. A notice of violation -- carrying a fine of $181.50 -- is then sent to the address of the vehicle's registered owner.

In California, speed cameras are illegal, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed a program to add speed enforcement capabilities to 500 red-light cameras to generate $338 million for the 2010-11 budget. The proposal is unlikely to be a part of the Legislature's upcoming budget recommendations.

State Assembly Budget Committee Chairwoman Noreen Evans (D-Santa Rosa) has described the proposal as "silly."

"It's using big-brother tactics to balance the state budget," she said. "It's outlandish."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-traffic-cameras20-2010feb20,0,814120.story?track=rss

Sonnabend
02-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Maricopa County...dear dear me, "hero" Sheriff Joe didnt step in and save you?

Tsk :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
02-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Maricopa County...dear dear me, "hero" Sheriff Joe didnt step in and save you?

Tsk :rolleyes:
Why can't someone mention the state of Arizona without you having to take a pot shot at Arpaio. We get it. You don't like the guy. I mean, wow. The Cardinals lost to the Saints. Is that Arpaio's fault too? Get a life already.

BadCat
02-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Why can't someone mention the state of Arizona without you having to take a pot shot at Arpaio. We get it. You don't like the guy. I mean, wow. The Cardinals lost to the Saints. Is that Arpaio's fault too? Get a life already.

LOL.

Yeah Sonna, Joe is the SHERIFF of Maricopa County. The speed cameras are administered by the AZ Department of Public Safety, known in most other states as the "State Police". They report to the Governor of Arizona. The cameras were started under Janet Napolitano, and when they saw what a cash cow they are, they are expanding their use.

lacarnut
02-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Preaching to an argumentative retard with a one track mind is useless.

Gingersnap
02-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Good for the resistance! These devices are a lot less reliable than the state or the manufacturer likes to let on. I would have no problem with civil disobedience on this matter.

Apache
02-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Good for the resistance! These devices are a lot less reliable than the state or the manufacturer likes to let on. I would have no problem with civil disobedience on this matter.

A ticked off Zonie can come up with unique ways of expressing their displeasure.....:cool:

hampshirebrit
02-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Illegal in California?

I'm amazed to hear that. Looks like even California can get at least one thing right.

Rockntractor
02-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Illegal in California?

I'm amazed to hear that. Looks like even California can get at least one thing right.

I noticed some blatant Brit bashing on a sheet thread! You better get right on it!:D

hampshirebrit
02-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I noticed some blatant Brit bashing on a sheet thread! You better get right on it!:D

As if I should care. Brit bashing is one of the favourite habits of the great foreign unwashed peoples of the world.

lacarnut
02-20-2010, 03:04 PM
As if I should care. Brit bashing is one of the favourite habits of the great foreign unwashed peoples of the world.

Compared to the Frogs, I would say that the Brits hygiene is superior. Numbers would probably disagree.

hampshirebrit
02-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Compared to the Frogs, I would say that the Brits hygiene is superior. Numbers would probably disagree.

Hey, we'll see what she says when she comes back from La France. I have to say that the food there is a lot better than ours. And they have (getting back on topic) far fewer speed cameras than we do.

Troll
02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm going to monitor this thread and bounce it off the DUI checkpoint thread and see who here thinks one is a great idea and the other is not. I'll publish my findings later.

Sonnabend
02-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Preaching to an argumentative retard with a one track mind is useless.

I agree...but I am hopeful that one day you'll see reason.

stsinner
02-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Illegal in California?

They got two things right-they actually put homo marriage to a vote and it was soundly defeated...

malloc
02-21-2010, 01:19 AM

You know, there are 15 county sheriffs in Arizona. One of these alumni is the man who wrote the book, "The American Sheriff", that would be Sheriff Mackey of Graham county. Libby's and lefties, the few who live here, love to use Arpaio as a rallying post. Arpaio has the support of the free people of Maricopa. He has the support of the minute men organization, he has the support of D.A.R.E, and the teachers groups (not unions Arizona is a right to work state). Arpaio has raised crystal meth awareness within AZ to the point where local and city councils have allowed him the PRIVILEGE of exchanging drivers license records for cough medicine. You see, this new policy wasn't a result of our legislature, the Sheriff went on T.V. and asked for our cooperation in this problem, and we agreed to help. You'll probably find this phenomenon no place else.

Sheriff Joe is a guy who isn't really effected by politics. Of course there are probably 1,000 misconceptions which could be used as propaganda, but who was personally present when conducting roundups in Mesa? Who was personally present when patrolling the streets in Guadalupe? If I didn't have to guess I would reckon that Sheriff Joe is at least responsible for the gross majority of deportations and repatriations that our Federal Department of Immigration refuses to perform. Us in Arizona are well aware that Sheriff Joe rounds them up for deportations, but the feds just don't seem to find the time to take them home. So they stay in the jails, gum up the works, and are never deported.

Joe Arpaio isn't a perfect Renaissance man, but he gets the job done. He campaigned for Romney during the '06-'07 prime time, he campaigned for McCain after McCain was (mistakenly) nominated.

Sonnabend
02-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Joe Arpaio has a massive line of questionable deaths in custody, is a thug and brutalises inmates, sneers at the law he is meant to uphold, and is proof that power corrupts absolutely.

malloc
02-21-2010, 04:09 AM
Joe Arpaio has a massive line of questionable deaths in custody, is a thug and brutalises inmates, sneers at the law he is meant to uphold, and is proof that power corrupts absolutely.

I don't agree with this statement at all, and it just so happens that I am very, very good friends with two of his deputies. One who works jails, and one who works the streets. Your idea of the man as Sheriff, when looking from the outside in, means very little his electorate thinks a great deal of him. There's a reason why, despite strong campaigns against him every year, the voters here keep disagreeing with you. Actually, this is the very reason our founders shifted the seats of government power to the States. Until after the civil war, when that power was snatched into the Federal seat, we would have just said, "Do better yourself." Now that just usually creates federally mandated crackdowns and all sorts of ugliness which doesn't stop illegal immigration or drugs. Nowadays a federal crackdown usually means a press conferences with Nanci Pelosi on T.V. looking as ugly as usual, saying that more of Americas freedom's need to be restricted in order to curb the violence and problems that Sheriff Joe is already curbing. I think the whole thing is pretty stupid.

Actually, I don't even live in Maricopa County. I live in Pinal. I still suppor Joe however. No one in this state puts speed cameras on his head. None of this was his idea.

FlaGator
02-21-2010, 07:45 AM

What has he to do with this thread?

BadCat
02-21-2010, 10:49 AM
What has he do do with this thread?

In Australia, ARIZONA = SHERIFF JOE

And again, the speed cameras are run by AZ Dept. of Public Safety, NOT the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

NJCardFan
02-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Waaaa, poor widdle inmates. Let me ask you something. I have a colleague who was recently brutally beaten for nothing more than being in uniform(he doesn't even work in that area. He just happened to be put there for that time) all because a "homie" got sent to the hole for threatening another officer. But that's probably OK in your eyes. We can take all the beatings but harm the hair on a poor widdle inmates head is an abomination in your eyes. Oh, let me tell you that no inmate was harmed in that incident for fear of the wrath of IA. I bet that makes you ecstatic.

asdf2231
02-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Sonnabend: Joe Arpaio has a massive line of questionable deaths in custody, is a thug and brutalises inmates, sneers at the law he is meant to uphold, and is proof that power corrupts absolutely.
Today 12:19 AM

Jesus H.Christ On Roller Skates Sonna...

If the guy is such a criminal thug you would think that they would have, I don't know, ARRESTED him or at least found SOMETHING that was worth ANYTHING in the numerous investigations that Liberals and ACLU dickwads have run over the years?

Or that the state would have found reson to censure him or remove him from his post?

Or that the electorate would have voted his thuggish Nazi ass out of office instead of REELECTING HIM BY DOUBLE DIGIT MARGINS IN 1996, 2000, 2004 and 2008. After electing him in the first place?

Do you not think the state democrats in Arizona or the bleeding hearts at any number of "Watchdog" groups would have buried the guy a fuck of a long time ago if he was everything you want to believe the man of being?

You sound like a Lib with a bad case of BDS. The VOTERS returned the guy to office 4 times when they had every chance to vote him out. That pesky "Democratic Process" thing again.

Holy Hell.

Nubs
02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
And again, the speed cameras are run by AZ Dept. of Public Safety, NOT the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

I once found myself driving down the highway in Phoenix at about 95+ mph. I saw a "Welcone to Maricopa County" sign. The sign was enough to cause me to slow down.

djones520
02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
I once found myself driving down the highway in Phoenix at about 95+ mph. I saw a "Welcone to Maricopa County" sign. The sign was enough to cause me to slow down.

Then I'd say the Sherrif there is definitely doing his job.

stsinner
02-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Quit being a douchebag, Sonnabend..

Joe Arpaio is the best Sheriff America has on duty! He actually does his duty and enforces the law.. They've tried numerous times to bring him up on charges or say what he's doing is illegal, but they fail every time....

Joe Arpaio for President!!

Rockntractor
02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Joe Arpaio for President!!

What about Donald........he spent all that money on the signs!:confused:

stsinner
02-21-2010, 08:35 PM
What about Donald........he spent all that money on the signs!:confused:

I want the crimigrants gone or in jail, and Joe is all over that!! I love seeing convicts in pink jumpsuits and eating bologna sammiches with no coffee and living in tents!!! Joe is the MAN!!! Prison as prison was intended to be-damned shitty!!!! Those shitbags don't want to come back to Sheriff Joe's jail!!

Sonnabend
02-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Joe Arpaio is the best Sheriff America has on duty! He actually does his duty and enforces the law.. They've tried numerous times to bring him up on charges or say what he's doing is illegal, but they fail every time....

Right. That's why a woman died of a diabetic coma AFTER his office and the jail were told repeatedly that she was diabetic.

Just keep thinking those nice thoughts about your "hero"..until the truth comes out, of course.

Results 1 - 10 of about 152,000 for arpaio deaths.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio faces two more lawsuits over inmates who died in his care. Both suits were filed last month by Phoenix attorney Joel Robbins. And at least one of them, we suspect, is going to be expensive for Maricopa County taxpayers, who've already shelled out a staggering $43 million to cover lawsuit settlements and expenses to families of jail abuse victims during Arpaio's tenure

One of those deaths involves a man known to have major mental problems...who they handed a razor

Oops.

Arpaio lost his accreditation last year

The National Commission on Correctional Health Care ruled that they don't meet U.S. standards.

Some "hero" :rolleyes:

Sonnabend
02-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Stsinner: three words I am sure you know.

Duty of care.

One of the lawsuits involved a man who was beaten to death in front of two video cameras for over twenty minutes. No use having cameras if no one is watching them..is there?

Would YOU take a patient to a hospital you know is not accredited?

Over to you.

linda22003
02-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey, we'll see what she says when she comes back from La France. I have to say that the food there is a lot better than ours. And they have (getting back on topic) far fewer speed cameras than we do.

I didn't notice any problems with hygiene; I will say the shower in our apartment didn't have the greatest water pressure in the world. I didn't notice too many cars in our part of Paris (Les Halles), let alone speed cameras. The few cars going down the Rue Montorgeuil had to hope pedestrians would eventually choose to get out of the way. The food is indeed phenomenal; I ate and drank nonstop, but since we were walking everywhere, I lost two pounds during the week. :)

hampshirebrit
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
I didn't notice any problems with hygiene; I will say the shower in our apartment didn't have the greatest water pressure in the world. I didn't notice too many cars in our part of Paris (Les Halles), let alone speed cameras. The few cars going down the Rue Montorgeuil had to hope pedestrians would eventually choose to get out of the way. The food is indeed phenomenal; I ate and drank nonstop, but since we were walking everywhere, I lost two pounds during the week. :)

Welcome back. Did you take any pics of your trip?

linda22003
02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Welcome back. Did you take any pics of your trip?

Tons. We haven't even started to put them up on the computer and go through them yet.

FlaGator
02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Stsinner: three words I am sure you know.

Duty of care.

One of the lawsuits involved a man who was beaten to death in front of two video cameras for over twenty minutes. No use having cameras if no one is watching them..is there?

Would YOU take a patient to a hospital you know is not accredited?

Over to you.

Three moderator words... way off topic