PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: Gimmie Some Links...

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 07:23 AM
29 degrees on The Mountain. It's supposed to warm up to the high forties or even the low fifties today. Practically a Heat Wave.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibm854VxqlU

I scattered some old pretzels and cereal in the yard last night and about twenty crows are out there attacking the stuff right now. I also gave them some cracked corn.

We're enjoying the Winter Olympics. Miz Bubba likes the figure skating and I pretty much like it all.

Are you watching?

TOTD: I have several links on my desktop, as icons or bookmarked, that I go to on a regular basis. Some are fun, others are informational.

What are some sites that you frequent and would like to share?

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 07:29 AM
I use iTunes on my PC as bith a music player and internet radio reciever. The selection of radio stations on iTunes is pretty impressive and are divided up by musical genres, sports, talk, etc.

The download is free and you don't have to have a mac.

http://movies.apple.com/itunes/overview/

PoliCon
02-21-2010, 10:31 AM
TOTD:

I'll share these two :)

Failblog (http://failblog.org/)

where you get to see gems like:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/epic-fail-photographer-fail.jpg

People of WalMart (http://www.peopleofwalmart.com)

where people like this:

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/987.jpg
are 'exposed' for what they are. :)

lacarnut
02-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Made groceries at Walleymart this am. Saw mostly bus monkey's there.

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
This is a free online Bible. You can get a commentary and other tools if you pay for them.

Strong's Concordance is included free.

http://www.e-sword.net/

JB
02-21-2010, 04:01 PM
bus monkey'sWTF is going on with this phrase? I've seen it used somewhere else on this site.

Is this racial in nature or are you using it to describe anyone that rides a bus?

Kay
02-21-2010, 04:34 PM
WTF is going on with this phrase? I've seen it used somewhere else on this site.

Is this racial in nature or are you using it to describe anyone that rides a bus?

"Porch monkeys" would be black welfare receipients who do not work, do not look for work and are insulted if someone tries to offer them a job.

"Bus monkeys" would be black welfare receipients who, typically being a porch monkey, do not work opting to live off welfare instead. So they don't have cars, rather they use public transporation (ie: the bus) to get around.

Are these racial terms? - hell yes.
Are they accurate by definition? - hell yes.
Do they apply to all black people? - hell NO.

The term used to decribe a white person of the same nature would be "white trash" or "trailer trash".

Is the term white trash racial in nature? - hell yes.
Is the term accurate by definition? - hell yes.
Does it apply to all white people? - hell no.

These terms may offend some, but I myself, am glad to see that the PC police are not too over active here.
One should not be afraid to call a spade a spade. (pun intended).

lacarnut
02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
"Porch monkeys" would be black welfare receipients who do not work, do not look for work and are insulted if someone tries to offer them a job.

"Bus monkeys" would be black welfare receipients who, typically being a porch monkey, do not work opting to live off welfare instead. So they don't have cars, rather they use public transporation (ie: the bus) to get around.

Are these racial terms? - hell yes.
Are they accurate by definition? - hell yes.
Do they apply to all black people? - hell NO.

The term used to decribe a white person of the same nature would be "white trash" or "trailer trash".

Is the term white trash racial in nature? - hell yes.
Is the term accurate by definition? - hell yes.
Does it apply to all white people? - hell no.

These terms may offend some, but I myself, am glad to see that the PC police are not too over active here.
One should not be afraid to call a spade a spade. (pun intended).

Thanks for a most informative post. I used bus monkey cause that was used on the old geezer beat down thread. Tell you the truth; I have never heard of porch or bus monkey. Is that lingo used in particular parts of the country.

Kay
02-21-2010, 04:51 PM
In parts of central and east Texas where I have lived, both are common terms.
I don't know about the rest of the world, I don't go north of the Red River too often.

djones520
02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for a most informative post. I used bus monkey cause that was used on the old geezer beat down thread. Tell you the truth; I have never heard of porch or bus monkey. Is that lingo used in particular parts of the country.

First time I heard Porch Monkey was in Clerks 2. After seeing Bus Monkey tossed around a couple times my first instinct was that it was a derivitave of Porch Monkey, but thought to check on it and Urban Dictionary had a completely unracial definition of it. Kay's seems a lot more realistic though.

JB
02-21-2010, 05:11 PM
These terms may offend some, but I myself, am glad to see that the PC police are not too over active here. One should not be afraid to call a spade a spade. (pun intended).This isn't storm/front.

While racial epithets are used, I'm pretty sure that if you were to frequently use the word spade on this site to describe black people you won't be around long.

PoliCon
02-21-2010, 05:14 PM
This is a free online Bible. You can get a commentary and other tools if you pay for them.

Strong's Concordance is included free.

http://www.e-sword.net/ I use it all the time ;)

PoliCon
02-21-2010, 05:15 PM
In parts of central and east Texas where I have lived, both are common terms.
I don't know about the rest of the world, I don't go north of the Red River too often.

I live in PA and I've heard both used - always by the stormfront types. It is clearly racist in it's intent and in it's usage.

Kay
02-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I used to work as an appraiser in Brownwood, Tx. There is an area of town there that is commonly referred to as "the flats". It's like I guess Watts would be in LA. I was warned not to ever go into that area alone, and to "beware of the porch monkeys". That was the first time I ever heard that term, and had to ask what that meant. This was the area where you could drive by real slow at any time of the day, and you'd litterly see 3 or 4 young black men sitting around on porches here and there. Driving slow, you'd soon be approached by one asking what you were looking for....they could get you anything you wanted (ie: drugs, women, guns).

Then one day, around 2:00 in the afternoon, I was doing some drive-by apprasing by myself, since I didn't need to get out of the car. All of a sudden helicopters started buzzing overhead, and people were running down the street. Police were everywhere with guns drawn. I knew something big was going on, so I headed back to the main road to get out of there. They had a road block up, and I had explain why I was in there, and they searched my car before letting me leave.

What I had stumbled into was a massive joint ATF - FBI - Central Tx Drug Task Force raid. It was all over the news, even made the Dallas paper. They used the ANG Armory there as a holding area, and arrested over 250 people. :eek:

Kay
02-21-2010, 05:19 PM
What is a "stormfront" type? I've not heard that term before.

djones520
02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
What is a "stormfront" type? I've not heard that term before.

Stormfront is a White Power web forum. We sometimes get members of their's here, but their promptly shown the door.

Kay
02-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh thanks for the definition. Those idiots are worse than the libtards at DU.

This isn't storm/front.

While racial epithets are used, I'm pretty sure that if you were to frequently use the word spade on this site to describe black people you won't be around long.

I don't use that word except in reference to card games. I guess you missed where I said (pun intended). All I meant is that terms like above are out there, they are used by regular people, and yes if used in all seriousness like your stormfront peeps do then are a problem for sure and said person using the term regularly should indeed be banned.

Poltical correctness gone overboard is just one of my pet peeves, and earlier in the day when the lacarnut was being called on the carpet for using the term it just caused a spike in my PC meter.

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 07:21 PM
In rural South Georgia where I grew up, porch monkeys ad yard apes were occasionally used phrases.

I never heard a black person use either term. I was poor white and heard the phrases used both disparagingly and humorously of white children and black children. That was in the 1960's. My recollection is that if a white person wished to speak in an insulting manner of black children then porch monkeys and yard apes could be said with much vehemence, but more likely other more inflammatory terms were employed. There were racist people then (and now) but most people in my community, black and white, were generally civil toward one another.

The thing was, adults were adults and children were children, whether black or white. When I heard the older men talking you just didn't hear much in the way of insults or vehemence directed toward black children.

Again, I never heard these terms from black people and never heard it in mixed (black/white) company. I haven't heard either term in a while.

I refer to children frequently as Critters. :D

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 07:22 PM
I use it all the time ;)

Did you purchase the commentary that can go with it?

Kay
02-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Ha, "yard apes". I remember being called that as kids (in 60's). We were always refered to as either yard apes or rug rats. I never saw that term as being racist, that was just what a lot of parents refered to us as. Maybe that's because in my hood we didn't have all these new-fangled electronics like video games and computers. We mostly played outside and broke our arms falling out of trees. :D

PoliCon
02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Did you purchase the commentary that can go with it?

I have all the free modules - If I'm gonna pay, I'm going to get hard copy ya know?

Bubba Dawg
02-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I have all the free modules - If I'm gonna pay, I'm going to get hard copy ya know?

You got that right.

PoliCon
02-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Stormfront is a White Power web forum. We sometimes get members of their's here, but their promptly shown the door.

Not all of em.

RobJohnson
02-21-2010, 09:04 PM
I use iTunes on my PC as bith a music player and internet radio reciever. The selection of radio stations on iTunes is pretty impressive and are divided up by musical genres, sports, talk, etc.

The download is free and you don't have to have a mac.

http://movies.apple.com/itunes/overview/

iTunes is great. In fact I just bought a new iPod touch to use with it. I can post on CU with it. :)

In the past I used Raphsody via Verizon VCast and didn't care for all the bugs.

I only visit a couple sites daily, this is one of them.

I also highly suggest Facebook. :D

Articulate_Ape
02-23-2010, 10:33 PM
http://wimp.com/