PDA

View Full Version : Should I apply for unemployment?

BadCat
02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Got laid off today. Company has been laying off about 30 people a week, and today they shut down the entire Research & Development division.

Now, I knew this was coming and I already have another job...but it doesn't start until 3/22. I also get a half year salary in severance.

But, I was thinking I may as well take advantage of the "system" and see what it feels like to be a liberal.

What do you all think? Should I apply for unemployment?

ralph wiggum
02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I did it for a couple of months. I was terminated (wrongfully, long story), and filed for unemployment the next day.

Sorry to hear, BC, but glad that you have a back-up.

Gingersnap
02-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Unemployment isn't exactly the same thing as the normal entitlements. While your employer paid the taxes that fund the benefit, he or she probably also factored that into your compensation package. You got less take-home pay because of the tax (unless your employer was a complete idiot).

I'd file for it under your circumstances.

(Sorry about the layoff. :( )

Nubs
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
You should apply.

However, when you apply, you will have a "waiting week" before you will receive any money. File initial claim and on week 2 you will be eligible to get money (assuming no severance).

Since you received 6 months severance, you will not be able to receive unemployment money for some time. Use this as an education experience and go through the process eventhough you may well not receive a check.

If you do get unemployment, the company pays the first 13 weeks.

BadCat
02-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I already have another job. Same salary even. It just doesn't start until March.

lacarnut
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Last time I filed it was like a 6 weeks wait before I got my first check but that was 30 years ago. If I were you, I would not waste my time dealing with the crap you have to go thru.

NJCardFan
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Last time I filed it was like a 6 weeks wait before I got my first check but that was 30 years ago. If I were you, I would not waste my time dealing with the crap you have to go thru.

It's a lot easier now. Too easy in fact.

ralph wiggum
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
It's a lot easier now. Too easy in fact.

Yes, as Nubs noted above, it is usually a two-week wait. Or at least it was in Illinois.

FeebMaster
02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
What do you all think? Should I apply for unemployment?

I would.

Hell, I have the website bookmarked.

Nubs
02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Also, at this point you only have an accepted job offer. You have not started employment. It has happened, although not likely, that the job offer may be recinded prior to your start date. So it may be financially responsible to start the unemployment process as a fall back position.

With 6 months severance, I think you would not see an unemployment check for 27 weeks after your last day of employment. Also, unemployment also assists in defraying the cost of COBRA, if you are using this for health insurance (up to 85% IIRC). Remember if you are nnot covered under some form of health insurance for longer than 6 months, many insurance companies will consider you one big preexisting condition.

FlaGator
02-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Go for it. You need to stick it to the man! :D

Apocalypse
02-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Apply and hurt Zero's unemployment numbers.

BadCat
02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Also, at this point you only have an accepted job offer. You have not started employment. It has happened, although not likely, that the job offer may be recinded prior to your start date. So it may be financially responsible to start the unemployment process as a fall back position.

With 6 months severance, I think you would not see an unemployment check for 27 weeks after your last day of employment. Also, unemployment also assists in defraying the cost of COBRA, if you are using this for health insurance (up to 85% IIRC). Remember if you are nnot covered under some form of health insurance for longer than 6 months, many insurance companies will consider you one big preexisting condition.

They are paying the severance and vacation balance (410 hours) as a lump sum. So I will only get one more paycheck from them.

lacarnut
02-22-2010, 03:01 PM
They are paying the severance and vacation balance (410 hours) as a lump sum. So I will only get one more paycheck from them.

I would think that the unemployment office would contact your former employer. Once they found out you were receiving severance pay, the clock would not start ticking until after the 10 weeks (400 hrs) for unemployment benefits passed. Just a guess on my part. Don't have a clue about health insurance.

Nubs
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Unemployment considers any payments as if you were essentially still working. I got 6 weeks as severance, so after filing on day 1 of the rest of my life, I was not able to file a weekly claim until week 7 and got the first "pogey" check at the end of week 8.

Based on the additional vacation pay, if you file on day1 of the rest of your life, you will be able to file a weekly claim on week 37 and recieve your first check on week 38. Mind you "pogey" doesn't pay that well. While working I made more in 1 day than I do for my weekly "pogey" allowance.

Mind you, my timeframes are from my case only. To determine your exact time frames, contact your unemployment office.

BadCat
02-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Unemployment considers any payments as if you were essentially still working. I got 6 weeks as severance, so after filing on day 1 of the rest of my life, I was not able to file a weekly claim until week 7 and got the first "pogey" check at the end of week 8.

Based on the additional vacation pay, if you file on day1 of the rest of your life, you will be able to file a weekly claim on week 37 and recieve your first check on week 38. Mind you "pogey" doesn't pay that well. While working I made more in 1 day than I do for my weekly "pogey" allowance.

Mind you, my timeframes are from my case only. To determine your exact time frames, contact your unemployment office.

Yeah, I'll be working again long before that.
And on checking, AZ pays a MAXIMUM for $281/week.

That would hardly be worth it monetarily. But I might file anyway, just so the Obumble unemployment numbers go up by one.

Rockntractor
02-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I would.

Hell, I have the website bookmarked.
But you can't do that, your the Anarchist, you have your reputation to maintain!:confused::eek:

patriot45
02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
But you can't do that, your the Anarchist, you have your reputation to maintain!:confused::eek:

:D He tears up the checks when he gets them! That'll show em!

Rockntractor
02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
:D He tears up the checks when he gets them! That'll show em!

Now that I believe:D!

stsinner
02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd file.. The first week, at least here in MA, is a wait week and unclaimable... But it is a benefit you're entitled to.. They may, however, ask you about your severance, and this may be a deal-breaker... Keep it legal and answer all the questions honestly, bro... So I guess I'd say don't waste your time...

Rockntractor
02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
I'd file.. The first week, at least here in MA, is a wait week and unclaimable... But it is a benefit you're entitled to.. They may, however, ask you about your severance, and this may be a deal-breaker... Keep it legal and answer all the questions honestly, bro... So I guess I'd say don't waste your time...
You don't draw until your severance is used up in OK and I'm sure other states are quite similar, since it consists of some federal money.

PoliCon
02-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Unemployment isn't exactly the same thing as the normal entitlements. While your employer paid the taxes that fund the benefit, he or she probably also factored that into your compensation package. You got less take-home pay because of the tax (unless your employer was a complete idiot).

I'd file for it under your circumstances.

(Sorry about the layoff. :( )
Yup YUP YUP! And in a lot of states - PA for one - you pay an unemployment insurance deduction in every paycheck.

noonwitch
02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
It's good that you have another job lined up. Do you need the money between now and 3-22?

If you need the money, you should apply. Is your medical covered until 3-22? If not, it's worth it to get something from unemployment. One bad illness, or a sick kid or spouse could eat up all your savings.

BadCat
02-23-2010, 05:40 PM
It's good that you have another job lined up. Do you need the money between now and 3-22?

If you need the money, you should apply. Is your medical covered until 3-22? If not, it's worth it to get something from unemployment. One bad illness, or a sick kid or spouse could eat up all your savings.

I was actually hoping to get laid off.

I started looking for another job as soon as the rumors of layoffs started. I had already accepted a job and would have had to turn in my resignation very soon. They very thankfully, didn't find out about this and gave me the layoff.

lacarnut
02-23-2010, 06:06 PM
You don't draw until your severance is used up in OK and I'm sure other states are quite similar, since it consists of some federal money.

I think that is true. Construction work layoffs in the 60's and 70's did not offer any severance pay. Got your pay check on a Friday and were told you were not needed on Monday.

Rockntractor
02-23-2010, 06:06 PM
I was actually hoping to get laid off.

I started looking for another job as soon as the rumors of layoffs started. I had already accepted a job and would have had to turn in my resignation very soon. They very thankfully, didn't find out about this and gave me the layoff.

You are going to miss the Arizona climate!