PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years Ago Today

NJCardFan
02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
To understand it's significance, you need to understand the political climate of the times. The economy was in shambles. Long lines at gasoline pumps. The mess that was the Iran Hostage crisis. And worse yet, the Cold War was raging on as hot as ever as President Carter contemplated boycotting the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow(which he carried through). American patriotism and pride were at an all time low. All of that discontent changed to jubilation on a cold, snowy February day in Lake Placid in 1980. The U.S. hockey team at the time consisted of college players. The Soviet Red Army hockey team, whom some consider the best hockey team of all time, were a veteran bunch who were so good that in 1979 they beat the best that the NHL could put together 2 games to 1 including a 6-0 shellacking in game 3.

To expound further how lopsided the match-up was, the Soviets beat the American's 10-3 in an exhibition just a few days before the games. Perhaps the Russians took us too lightly having beaten badly their competition leading up to the game or perhaps it was meant to be. Whatever the reason, the young Americans were not intimidated as they kept pace with the Soviets trailing 3-2 after 2 periods. Then in the 3rd period, goals by Mark Johnson and Mike Eruzione put the Americans up 4-3 and then after the longest 10 minutes anyone could ever remember, Al Michaels said those now famous words, "Do you believe in miracles? YES!" as the time ticked down to zero for the biggest upset in the history of sports. 2 days later the U.S. beat Finland 4-2 to win the gold medal capping off an improbable Olympic run.

30 years ago today. Wow. Has it really been that long?

ralph wiggum
02-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Stop making me feel old! :D

Bubba Dawg
02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
I remember that game. Truly amazing.

I really couldn't believe we beat the mighty Soviets.

djones520
02-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I was not yet alive.

Bubba Dawg
02-22-2010, 08:42 PM
I was not yet alive.

So the 1975 World Series is pretty much a blur too, huh? :D

djones520
02-22-2010, 08:44 PM
So the 1975 World Series is pretty much a blur too, huh? :D

I think my dad was 12 then. He might remember them. :p

Bubba Dawg
02-22-2010, 08:47 PM
I think my dad was 12 then. He might remember them. :p

Reds in 7. Pudge hit a homer in the bottom of the 12th to end Game Six.

Classic Series.

ralph wiggum
02-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Reds in 7. Pudge hit a homer in the bottom of the 12th to end Game Six.

Classic Series.

Pudge Rodriguez was active in 1975? :confused:

:D

Bubba Dawg
02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Pudge Rodriguez was active in 1975? :confused:

:D

Yaz he wuz. :D

Kay
02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I remember it well. And for those too young to remember, rent the movie Miracle.
I thought it did a pretty decent job of portraying that team and that game.
Kurt Russel plays the coach, and on the DVD in the special features there are
interviews with the real team members talking about the actual game. NJCardFan
is right - truely the greatest moment ever in the history of sports.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/boxofficecritic/Miracle.jpg

PoliCon
02-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I was not yet alive.

shhhh! The old people get mad when you say stuff like that! ;)

Bubba Dawg
02-22-2010, 09:05 PM
shhhh! The old people get mad when you say stuff like that! ;)

Whippersnappers......:mad::D

ralph wiggum
02-22-2010, 09:06 PM
There was an interesting feature on Sportscenter tonight. The game wasn't even televised live, which is not surprising considering the period of time. Hell, the game last night was on MSNBC. They interviewed Jamie Farr, who actually got a seat at the game, but got stuck sitting along with Russian dignitaries.

PoliCon
02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Whippersnappers......:mad::D

Who? ME?? :cool:

Bubba Dawg
02-22-2010, 09:14 PM
There was an interesting feature on Sportscenter tonight. The game wasn't even televised live, which is not surprising considering the period of time. Hell, the game last night was on MSNBC. They interviewed Jamie Farr, who actually got a seat at the game, but got stuck sitting along with Russian dignitaries.

I found that out later and was totally surprised. I did not know the result of the game ahead of time, or even that it was on tape delay, so it was "live" for me.

NJCardFan
02-23-2010, 12:03 AM
I found that out later and was totally surprised. I did not know the result of the game ahead of time, or even that it was on tape delay, so it was "live" for me.

They tried to get the game moved to prime time but the Soviets said no. Thankfully the ending was sat on. Could never happen today. As for the movie, 2 things they omitted. First, why the guy playing Kenny Morrow didn't have a beard I'll never know and #2, they left out Brooks' motivational speech in between the 2nd and 3rd periods of the gold medal game when we were losing 2-1 to Finland. He just walked into the locker room, look at the team and said, "If you lose this game, you'll take it to your fucking grave!" He then walked to the door, turned around, and said, "Your fucking grave!" The U.S. went on to score 3 goals and win 4-2.

A few months back, I saw Mike Eruzione at a hotel in Florida. I was surprised how short he was. I wish I would have talked to him but I didn't want to appear like a little fanboy.