PDA

View Full Version : How to ressurect American industry/jobs

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Here's an idea I've often pondered--and while it may seem ''Big Government''--I think it would be good for the country in the long term:

Capital gains taxes and corporate taxes are cited by some as a major reason that so many corporations outsource jobs; it's cheaper for them. Here's a solution--not perfectly refined but a rough sketch--Try a carrot and stick approach:

Any corporation which hires X amount of (legitimate and merited) American workers in X amount of time gets their corporate taxes reduced by X amount. Perhaps it could even be that the larger the amount of American workers hired, the lower your company's taxes become. That'd be a good incentive to bring jobs home. We could slash corporate taxes maybe as much as half. That's the carrot. Now the stick is the companies which hire the least or don't meet a certain quota of American citizens hired get their corporate taxes raised by X amount. Ensure that there are no loop holes. Make it a good deal for business so long as they fulfill their obligation.

If you want to do business out of the US and fuck over American workers by outsourcing--fine, but it comes at a price.

Also, grant a loan or tax reduction or something to any individual or company which wishes to found or take an interest in the manufacturing and production--to increase the amount of American made products, and in turn increase jobs, lowering unemployment. Perhaps create student grants for students interested in engineering or manufacturing degrees. Again, It's a sketchy idea, as I'm not well versed in any of the details or if any programs such as this already exist and it's sticky in terms of 'Big Government', and I'm not sure how it would work financially or legally, or if it would even be legal--but it could help.

Also bring back immigration quotas, and make immigration more stringent.

Jfor
02-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Taxes are not supposed to be used to punish people. If you want to bring jobs back, then cut the corporate taxes period. Make them the lowest in the world. Cut the stupid ass regulations like Sarbanes Oxley and companies will come back in droves. It really is quite simple. You make it easy and cheaper to do business here and the companies will come back.

Constitutionally Speaking
02-22-2010, 08:21 PM
A company cannot base a hiring decision on whether or not it qualifies him for a tax break.

A company can ONLY hire people to help meet a demand for the product or service it sells. Any other reason is pure folly.

patriot45
02-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Need I say FairTax!?! That would do wonders!

Rockntractor
02-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Your dreaming buddy! Just be happy if we don't go communist and we have things back to the way they were in the nineties!

NJCardFan
02-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Give this man a cheroot.

Articulate_Ape
02-22-2010, 11:49 PM

Define "Fair Tax"

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-22-2010, 11:55 PM
A company cannot base a hiring decision on whether or not it qualifies him for a tax break.

A company can ONLY hire people to help meet a demand for the product or service it sells. Any other reason is pure folly.

Than how do you propose getting American jobs back?

Rockntractor
02-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Than how do you propose getting American jobs back?

For one get rid of capital gains tax.

Jfor
02-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Define "Fair Tax"

www.fairtax.org

Articulate_Ape
02-23-2010, 01:21 AM
www.fairtax.org

I am tired and I might be missing something, but that looks like a VAT. If so, bad idea. Just ask Europe.

Rockntractor
02-23-2010, 01:32 AM
I am tired and I might be missing something, but that looks like a VAT. If so, bad idea. Just ask Europe.

It's not a value added but what if the government decided after we put it into effect that we needed a temporary income tax just to catch up? It has happened before!

Jfor
02-23-2010, 01:55 AM
It's not a value added but what if the government decided after we put it into effect that we needed a temporary income tax just to catch up? It has happened before!

If the Fairtax were to be passed, the only way it could become law is by the repeal of the 16th amendment. With the repeal of that amendment, Congress by law, would be unable to pass an income tax.

As far as a VAT. Nope. Not even close. The Fairtax REPLACES the income tax, corporate income tax, FICA, Social Security and you ONLY pay a sales tax on NEW goods. Used products are not taxed. The Fairtax would be 23%. If you buy a Coke for $1, you go to the register, hand them a dollar and be on your way. 23 cents of that dollar goes to the sales tax. If you go and buy a used car and the car cost 500 bucks from the dealer. You walk up with 500 bucks and be on your way. There are no taxes. Read up on it. It is the most studied tax solution out there and takes the power from the government and puts it into the hands of the people. The .gov cannot raise taxes on it without you seeing it. EVERYBODY pays the same in taxes. Rich people, poor people, illegals, those who are paid only in cash, the millions of visitors to this country every year.

Read up about the Fairtax.

AlmostThere
02-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Capital gains taxes and corporate taxes are cited by some as a major reason that so many corporations outsource jobs; it's cheaper for them.Are they outsourcing jobs because of taxes or are they outsourcing because they can get employees for FAR less than American workers?

If I have a manufacturing plant and I pay my workers $15 - $20 hour, those employees will actually cost me about $20 - $28 per hour when all is said and done. If I can ship those jobs offshore where I can get my employees for a tiny fraction of that hourly wage, do I really give a rat's ass about capital gains or corporate taxes? I don't own a manufacturing plant but I think I'd be much more interested in lowering my employee costs than those taxes.