PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Evolution, Creationism or ID?

jinxmchue
08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Just a simple poll.

Troll
08-01-2008, 05:58 PM
On edit: I don't want to pick a fight. :D

I vote evolution.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I chose ID, not the formalized ID's that I have seen, just that I believe God created everything with adaptation and evolution as part of the plan.

FlaGator
08-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Like an Israeli thread... this may not end well.

I voted ID.

Gingersnap
08-01-2008, 07:34 PM
This should have been a non-anonymous poll - then you would have had fights. :p

I voted for ID. I have no problem seeing evolutionary mechanisms as part of Creation. This in no way disturbs my faith in the Creator nor my faith in the bible. The story of creation is necessarily sketchy since those mechanisms don't bear on faith or morals.

It doesn't really matter how God did what He did and it's not important for the daily life of a Christian. 100 years from now a entirely new theory will be in vogue.

hampshirebrit
08-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Like an Israeli thread... this may not end well.

I voted ID.

No reason it shoudn't end well, if folks keep it civil.

Good poll idea, Jinx.

Needless to say, I voted evolution...thereby putting Evolution 1 point ahead.

Go, Evo, Go!!! :D

Troll
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I chose ID, not the formalized ID's that I have seen, just that I believe God created everything with adaptation and evolution as part of the plan.

Same for me. I accept that evolution is a fact, and I believe that God exists. The problem for me is that ID/CS do not qualify as science by any definition, and I don't think they should be propped up as such. All these 'disciplines' are good for is as a very effective weapon for megaleftos to use against the church.

Whether or not God exists (for me) is a philosophical question, not a scientific one.

FlaGator
08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Same for me. I accept that evolution is a fact, and I believe that God exists. The problem for me is that ID/CS do not qualify as science by any definition, and I don't think they should be propped up as such. All these 'disciplines' are good for is as a very effective weapon for megaleftos to use against the church.

Whether or not God exists (for me) is a philosophical question, not a scientific one.

Pick up a copy of 'The Mind of God" by Paul Davies. He puts forth an excellent argument for the evidence of God in creation from a scientific point of view.

Gingersnap
08-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Bumping..............

Lanie
08-02-2008, 03:06 AM
I voted Evolution. While I believe in God, he's not scientific. Science is about what is founded by scientists through research. It's not about faith.

on edit: It's 3am and I voted Creationism by accident so people know.

Good-night.

CLibertarian
08-02-2008, 03:08 AM
This should have been a non-anonymous poll - then you would have had fights. :p

I voted for ID. I have no problem seeing evolutionary mechanisms as part of Creation. This in no way disturbs my faith in the Creator nor my faith in the bible. The story of creation is necessarily sketchy since those mechanisms don't bear on faith or morals.

It doesn't really matter how God did what He did and it's not important for the daily life of a Christian. 100 years from now a entirely new theory will be in vogue.

Same here.

NonConformist
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM
All the above

I believe gods works through evolution

FlaGator
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I am must perplexed by those saying that they believe in God and evolution but then voting for evolution. This is not logically consistant. If you believe in God then evolution would be God's mechanism for the creation of life on earth. To avoid contradiction the vote should have been ID. The only way, at least in my mind, for this to make sense is to say that one accepts the possibility of God but believes evolution to be true. Believing in the possibility of God is not the same thing as believing in God. Is there another way to look at this that I am not seeing?

wilbur
08-02-2008, 11:17 AM

The poll really should include a theistic evolution option, since it seems thats what most of the ID votes are going for.

wilbur
08-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I am must perplexed by those saying that they believe in God and evolution but then voting for evolution. This is not logically consistant. If you believe in God then evolution would be God's mechanism for the creation of life on earth. To avoid contradiction the vote should have been ID. The only way, at least in my mind, for this to make sense is to say that one accepts the possibility of God but believes evolution to be true. Believing in the possibility of God is not the same thing as believing in God. Is there another way to look at this that I am not seeing?

Depends on what you mean by ID. You could believe in God, but disbelieve in the claims of ID (that they have developed reliable empirical methods to detect the products of intelligence (design) in nature, without knowing all the outside information or natural processes that could cause them).

Theistic evolution is more consistent with what you describe.

Schadenfreude
08-02-2008, 12:17 PM
I voted Evolution. While I believe in God, he's not scientific. Science is about what is founded by scientists through research. It's not about faith.

on edit: It's 3am and I voted Creationism by accident so people know.

Good-night.

Oh WOW!

Anyway, my vote is all of the above and I did not see that as a selection. :)

LogansPapa
08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Evolution - because I respect the work done.

expat-pattaya
08-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Why not just start a poll - do you believe in God. That should start the fur flying :D

wilbur
08-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Why not just start a poll - do you believe in God. That should start the fur flying :D

Well, unfortunately, when you start a poll asking if evolution is true or not... to many people you are actually asking if God is real or not.

But thats simply not the case. There is no difference between evolution as understood by a Christian (or any other religion) or an atheist. Same theory, different metaphysical implications (if any). Just as math would be the same as understood by a Christian or an atheist, evolution is the same. It does frustrate me that creationist rhetoric has been so successful at deceiving people into thinking you must choose either evolution or God, as if they are mutually exclusive.

LogansPapa
08-03-2008, 01:02 PM
It does frustrate me that creationist rhetoric has been so successful at deceiving people into thinking you must choose either evolution or God, as if they are mutually exclusive.

It only has because it allows one to put their brain in 'neutral and cruise down-hill, liberating one from any form of independent thought or responsibility. Why someone would want to do that to a child and allow them to grow up under such devious propaganda I have no idea, other than the ones that spew it have such a large hole in their lives they feel they must control the naive mind of a youngster and not allow them to see the physical world for what it is.

Knowing these outside realities is what got us driven from the Garden, you know.;)