PDA

View Full Version : Man pays $26,500 for a VIRTUAL ISLAND!?

PoliCon
02-23-2010, 12:42 AM
By Oliver J. Chiang, Forbes.com

Date: Saturday Feb. 20, 2010 7:21 AM ET

BURLINGAME, Calif. What is the most you're willing to pay for a virtual item in a videogame or virtual world? Five, ten dollars? How about $26,500?

That's the amount David Storey, a 27-year-old graduate student living in Sydney, Australia, paid for a virtual island, the "Most valuable object that is virtual," according to Guinness World Records.

It's easy to write off Storey, who goes by the name "Deathifier," as a geek gone wild, but he now owns a million-dollar empire. Storey runs Amethera Treasure Island, which he purchased in the virtual world Entropia, as a rare game preserve and taxes hunters on his land. Storey says the taxes bring in more than $100,000 in real money per year.

"I thought it would be cool to own an island, and I knew I could run it and be able to pay for my play" says Storey, who has picked up skills he never imagined learning in a game. "Entropia continually evolves, so you have to constantly be watching for new developments. It's sort of like real life."

While Storey's example is extreme, buying and selling virtual goods in videogames and virtual worlds is becoming mainstream. The virtual goods market in the U.S. is estimated to reach $1.6 billion this year, up from $1 billion in 2009, according to research firm Inside Networks. And the U.S. is just a part of the worldwide market, which some experts put as high as $10 billion; countries like China and Korea are major players.

Virtual worlds and massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) like Entropia and Second Life are where virtual goods economies began. But in recent years, casual and social games like "FarmVille" and "Pet Society" on Facebook have also become important players.

Typically, virtual transactions can be divided into two categories. In one type of transaction, you "cash in," or exchange real dollars for virtual currencies, and use the virtual currencies to buy virtual goods, like a new cow in FarmVille. The other type of transaction lets you cash in and, like Storey, earn real money. In addition, virtual worlds and MMORPGs have also gotten very good at monetizing the user; industry experts estimate that the average revenues per user usually range from $10 to $20.

CONTINUED (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100219/forbes_island_100220/20100220?hub=SciTech)

Rockntractor
02-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Axle?:confused:

SarasotaRepub
02-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Axle?:confused:

I doubt it. :D

PoliCon
02-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Seriously though . . . should I be pissed at the insanity of it - are thrilled that this guy is able to capitalize of the insanity of it? :confused:

Gingersnap
02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Seriously though . . . should I be pissed at the insanity of it - are thrilled that this guy is able to capitalize of the insanity of it? :confused:

Be thrilled. ;)

RockerWolf
05-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Be thrilled. ;)

I rent land,but even i would never pay that much. And recently i've been thinking about exiling myself to either Openlife Grid or Blue Mars. Because the Lindens been pissing me off with new rules and changes they been making.

djones520
05-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Capitalism at it's finest. It's kinda why no matter what, I'll always hold a bit of respect for Al Gore. That man took a product, sold it, and made millions on it. He epitomises the capitalist dream.

patriot45
05-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Capitalism at it's finest. It's kinda why no matter what, I'll always hold a bit of respect for Al Gore. That man took a product, sold it, and made millions on it. He epitomises the capitalist dream.

I'll agree with capitalism at its finest. But no way would I ever hold an iota of respect for the gore. Sorry but that shit is a piece of crap. He took an issue and did and is still doing more damage than banks, mortgages or wall street. His only equal is the 0.

PoliCon
05-18-2010, 10:26 PM

The difference here is the guy with the fake island is merely capitalizing on existing stupidity. Gore on the other hand is manufacturing stupidity. He is lying to people.

fettpett
05-19-2010, 08:41 AM
how is it any different from the developers of any game selling their virtual product or an MMO charging you to create an avatar and play in their virtual world.

at lest he's making real money on it

RockerWolf
05-19-2010, 03:18 PM
how is it any different from the developers of any game selling their virtual product or an MMO charging you to create an avatar and play in their virtual world.

at lest he's making real money on it

Yeah, i know many MMO's that you have to pay money for it. Like World Of Warcraft,Earth Eternal.

djones520
05-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Indeed. Blizzard has something like 7 million active accounts for WoW. At $15 a month thats 105 million a month. Talk about some fat cash.

Zathras
05-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Indeed. Blizzard has something like 7 million active accounts for WoW. At $15 a month thats 105 million a month. Talk about some fat cash.

Actually it's over 11 million accounts now.

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 05:34 PM
ridiculous. Bunch of damn fools.

RockerWolf
05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Actually it's over 11 million accounts now.

It's over 9000!

djones520
05-19-2010, 07:44 PM
ridiculous. Bunch of damn fools.

Right... and how many hobbies do you have that you only spend $15 a month on? Do they also help you keep in touch with friends scattered around the country/world? Helped my wife and I "spend time together" when we lived on opposite ends of the world. My father met his fiance through an MMO, and I'm friends with two other married couples who met through MMO's.

Nothing foolish about them. Only foolish thing is when their abused. But strangely enough, that can be said about EVERYTHING.

BSR
05-19-2010, 07:46 PM
I rent land,but even i would never pay that much. And recently i've been thinking about exiling myself to either Openlife Grid or Blue Mars. Because the Lindens been pissing me off with new rules and changes they been making.

Wait, wait, wait..

You pay someone actual money to rent pretend land....

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Right... and how many hobbies do you have that you only spend $15 a month on? Do they also help you keep in touch with friends scattered around the country/world? Helped my wife and I "spend time together" when we lived on opposite ends of the world. My father met his fiance through an MMO, and I'm friends with two other married couples who met through MMO's.

Nothing foolish about them. Only foolish thing is when their abused. But strangely enough, that can be said about EVERYTHING.

None. My hobbies are works of mercy - studying - online message boards. :p

Rockntractor
05-19-2010, 10:23 PM
None. My hobbies are works of mercy - studying - online message boards. :p
Have mercy on us and go give yourself a swirly!:rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Have mercy on us and go give yourself a swirly!:rolleyes:

http://inchindeep.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/piss-off1.jpg
:p

Rockntractor
05-19-2010, 10:40 PM
http://inchindeep.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/piss-off1.jpg
:p
That's mean spirited stumpy!:eek:

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
That's mean spirited stumpy!:eek:

Pink has a message for you from me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfFZqTlWrQ

Rockntractor
05-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Pink has a message for you from me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfFZqTlWrQ

Your asking me to waste bandwidth on video, small fry?:confused:

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Your asking me to waste bandwidth on video, small fry?:confused:

:mad:WASTE!?!?!?!?!?!?:mad: Pink is NEVER a waste. She's hot as hell!

Rockntractor
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
:mad:WASTE!?!?!?!?!?!?:mad: Pink is NEVER a waste. She's hot as hell!

All right I'll see if it will play on my blackberry.

Rockntractor
05-19-2010, 11:04 PM
It won't play on blackberry, i'll watch it tomorrow on Leonard mtn.

RockerWolf
05-19-2010, 11:14 PM

Yeah, I've met people around the world too on most of those. Of course Brazillian Portuguese seems to confuse Babelfish. Like one time it translated a sentence as "caramie Portuguese.

Zathras
05-20-2010, 12:56 AM
It's over 9000!

OVER 9000?!?!?!? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

RockerWolf
05-20-2010, 01:17 AM
OVER 9000?!?!?!? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

It's a internet meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/its-over-9000

fettpett
05-20-2010, 12:50 PM
i believe it's around 11.5 million active accounts... probably will grow bigger with the new Recruit a Friend mount and Cataclysm. 15/mo is far less than what most people spend at the bar, on a date, going to a movie, and you get the same interaction, with vent, in-game chat and other ways of communicating. Plus studies have shown that MMO's/video games increase interaction and hand-eye corndination with doctors and other people

RockerWolf
06-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Be thrilled. ;)

Of course recently Mark Kingdon the CEO of LL stepped down and Phillip Rosedale took over,who was the founder of the company and game. Because imho M. Linden did a lot to bring a certain game to the ground and hopefully the founder can undo everything he did.