PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha Readin' Wednesday!

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 09:58 AM
It's clear and cold but we will stagger into the low 40s today before sliding back into a system that will bring snow at the end of the week.

TOTD: Whatcha readin'? I'm about to start "The Altar of Eden" by James Rollins and I'm almost done with "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, MD. I'm also rereading a horror anthology with a forward by Christopher Lee.

ralph wiggum
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Was a whopping -6 this morning. Supposed to warm up to 15. :rolleyes:

Waiting on my doorstep when I got home yesterday was my brand spanking new copy of the 2010 Baseball Prospectus. Not a book you read from cover to cover, you just keep bouncing from section to section. I'll be reading bits & pieces all season.

linda22003
02-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I just finished reading Cecil Woodham-Smith's "The Reason Why", about the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War. Still in the afterglow of my Paris trip, I'm starting Simon Schama's "Citizens", about the French Revolution.

FlaGator
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Warm and beautiful here in north Florida today!

I am reading A. W. Tozer's "Knowledge of the Holy" and "The Pursuit of God". The later I have in eBook form on a Nook eBook reader I got last week. For fiction I am about to start "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Warm and beautiful here in north Florida today!

I am reading A. W. Tozer's "Knowledge of the Holy" and "The Pursuit of God". The later I have in eBook form on a Nook eBook reader I got last week. For fiction I am about to start "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.

Let me know how the King book is; I've been holding off buying it because he's so erratic these days.

noonwitch
02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Cloudy and around the freezing point. We got about 5 inches of snow on Monday, so that is slowly melting.

TOTD: I just started reading Justification by N. T.Wright. It seems he and John Piper are in some sort of theological debate about the topic, which has become an internet war at some sites.

Shannon
02-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Let me know how the King book is; I've been holding off buying it because he's so erratic these days.

DS thought it was great... so it sucks.:p My mom volunteered to read it so I'm waiting to hear from her. I trust her judgement on King books. I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's latest in The Saxon Series. I did just finish Joe Hill's latest. It was pretty good. I'd just stick with King's kid for now.

megimoo
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
It's clear and cold but we will stagger into the low 40s today before sliding back into a system that will bring snow at the end of the week.

TOTD: Whatcha readin'? I'm about to start "The Altar of Eden" by James Rollins and I'm almost done with "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, MD. I'm also rereading a horror anthology with a forward by Christopher Lee.Rain and cold here,snow was forecast but it turned into rain.I'm 'Time Sharing' four books just now.

'My Last Supper' by Melanie Dunea.
A very 'light' book with picture and recipes from fifty great Chefs choices of their final meals.

'Lone Survivor' by Marcus Luttrell .The last survivor of 'Seal' Team ten lost in Afghanistan .

'Desolation Island' by Patrick O'Brian. An English sea saga along the lines of Horatio Hornblower.

'Leaning Towards Infinity' by Sue Woolfe.A story about her mothers mathematical genius and her fears of that madness being inherited .

And in my 'spare 'time I am preparing to bone a duck a la 'Mastering' Vol two.

My intent is to either smoke the critter or Pt De Canard En Crote .

Of late I've become rather addicted to smoked foods,Fish,Chicken and now Duck.Perhaps next I'll try a Turkey but I'm inclined to bone it first and then 'brine' it.Pork not so much just yet !

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 01:03 PM
My intent is to either smoke the critter or Pt De Canard En Crote .

Of late I've become rather addicted to smoked foods,Fish,Chicken and now Duck.Perhaps next I'll try a Turkey but I'm inclined to bone it first and then 'brine' it.Pork not so much just yet !

Smoked turkey is some fine eating, Moo. I do a couple every summer. Your turkey won't need any brining if you smoke it in a real smoker for 6 hours or more. Very tasty!

megimoo
02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Smoked turkey is some fine eating, Moo. I do a couple every summer. Your turkey won't need any brining if you smoke it in a real smoker for 6 hours or more. Very tasty!How do you define a 'real' smoker ?

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
How do you define a 'real' smoker ?

http://i47.tinypic.com/2dkn877.jpg

FlaGator
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Cloudy and around the freezing point. We got about 5 inches of snow on Monday, so that is slowly melting.

TOTD: I just started reading Justification by N. T.Wright. It seems he and John Piper are in some sort of theological debate about the topic, which has become an internet war at some sites.

The New Perspective of Paul. I've read both books (Piper's The Future of Justification) and they both make some good points. I tend to lean to Wright's view point but I do disagree with some of his concepts. You can download Piper's book at his website in PDF format if you want to compare.

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm not reading while the Winter Olympics is on.....are on.....is or are....hmmmm.....:confused:

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 08:22 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2dkn877.jpg

The firebox being on the end allows you to use low heat and really makes the meat flavorful.

Mine like that is about rusted out.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm not reading while the Winter Olympics is on.....are on.....is or are....hmmmm.....:confused:

I tried to watch the skating thing last night but it was 1 skater to 11 hulking female bobsleders. I gave up. :(

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
I tried to watch the skating thing last night but it was 1 skater to 11 hulking female bobsleders. I gave up. :(

The coverage of the Olympics has always been frustrating to me. They never seem to have enough of what I want to see.

Miz Bubba loves the skating too. :D

noonwitch
02-25-2010, 09:10 AM

All I could think of when I saw the book cover and title, is that King is now getting his ideas from watching "The Simpsons Movie".

Gingersnap
02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
All I could think of when I saw the book cover and title, is that King is now getting his ideas from watching "The Simpsons Movie".

LOL! It wouldn't surprise me - he's a pop culture kind of guy.