PDA

View Full Version : Woman-Eating Treadmill

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 09:32 PM
That woman was using the treadmill we got her to get strength back in her legs while I was working today. She fell down and the string broke for the dead mans switch and it didn’t shut off. She looks like she rolled down a hill with bruises and scuffs all over her.
She called the neighbor with her cell phone and he came over fast and shut it off and helped her up and another neighbor lady came over and bandaged her up. She didn't break any bones but she's not feeling to good.:(

patriot45
02-24-2010, 09:35 PM
That woman was using the treadmill we got her to get strength back in her legs while I was working today. She fell down and the string broke for the dead mans switch and it didnít shut off. She looks like she rolled down a hill with bruises and scuffs all over her.
She called the neighbor with her cell phone and he came over fast and shut it off and helped her up and another neighbor lady came over and bandaged her up. She didn't break any bones but she's not feeling to good.:(

Whoa Rock scary stuff, sorry to hear it. Rethink your title tho, I thought a treadmill was getting eaten! :eek:

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Sorry Rock. Hope she's on the mend.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
It didn't have hand rails? I'm not a treadmill fan so I don't know a lot about them but the ones I've used had rails you could grab to lift yourself off the track if you had to do it. :(

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Whoa Rock scary stuff, sorry to hear it. Rethink your title tho, I thought a treadmill was getting eaten! :eek:

It scuffed the hell out of her! It pushed her under an end table and continued to grind her, she couldn't get up and shut it off. It's lucky she had her phone, it ran until the neighbor got here!

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 09:41 PM
It didn't have hand rails? I'm not a treadmill fan so I don't know a lot about them but the ones I've used had rails you could grab to lift yourself off the track if you had to do it. :(

It has handle bars with a bracelet and a string to a dead mans switch that didn't work. I better get rid of it!

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 09:42 PM
It has handle bars with a bracelet and a string to a dead mans switch that didn't work. I better get rid of it!

Lawsuit?

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Lawsuit?
Nah we won't do that. She'll heal up. I told her she can't use it unless I'm home now but I doubt she will go near it again.

I might haul it outside and shoot it to pieces!

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 09:48 PM

You'd better! If she's looking for an exercise machine that isn't huge, scary, or lethal she might want to check out the InTone recumbent exercise bike. It folds up to move out of the way but it's very sturdy.

I have one. I think you can still get them for around $200 if you find the free shipping.

I use it in the winter when real biking isn't happening but when I've been skiing enough that using my Nordic Track isn't interesting at the moment. It's super quiet so you can watch TV or listen to music without going crazy. :)

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 09:53 PM
You'd better! If she's looking for an exercise machine that isn't huge, scary, or lethal she might want to check out the InTone recumbent exercise bike. It folds up to move out of the way but it's very sturdy.

I have one. I think you can still get them for around $200 if you find the free shipping.

I use it in the winter when real biking isn't happening but when I've been skiing enough that using my Nordic Track isn't interesting at the moment. It's super quiet so you can watch TV or listen to music without going crazy. :)
I gave away the nordic trac, her balance wasn't good enough and she turned the exercise bike into a clothes horse. She was actually using the tread mill.

megimoo
02-24-2010, 10:10 PM
It scuffed the hell out of her! It pushed her under an end table and continued to grind her, she couldn't get up and shut it off. It's lucky she had her phone, it ran until the neighbor got here!Those damn things are dangerous especially to an older person .I've read of an one old man who had his slipper pulled from his foot and almost lost a toe from one.

The more expensive ones have a built in progressive speed routine to increase the level of the workout and if an older person selects the wrong program they could start out walking slowly and end up in a full jog and unable to dismount.

Another took off at high speed under another older critter and he just made it off in one piece.Quite commonly older people fall and bruise up their faces on them.Once they fall any lose clothing or bathrobe belts are drawn into the drive mechanism .

The foot belt drive motors are quite powerful and are capable of some serious damage if any part of the foot is pulled into it .They should have a built in timer or some sort of weight sensing safety system designed in to prevent accidents to older more feeble people.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I gave away the nordic trac, her balance wasn't good enough and she turned the exercise bike into a clothes horse. She was actually using the tread mill.

This is a recumbent bike. People who can't tolerate real bikes or upright exercise bikes like this. The seat is chair-like with hand grips at hip level (you don't have to use the hand grips). It's magnetic with 10 levels and I think the mid-levels are just fine and I'm very active. There's room to grow with this thing.

This is very sleek in design and it's easy to move. It's comfortable which isn't something you can say about most exercise equipment. I get on it thinking that I'll do 20 minutes in the morning watching Fox and 40 minutes can just blow by!

Nordic Tracks are awesome but they aren't for everybody. I use mine every day from June through November but I like to XC ski so it's perfect. This bike is perfect for the "don't like to exercise" types (like me, really). It's quiet, unobtrusive, effective, cheap, and comfy.

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 10:16 PM
This is a recumbent bike. People who can't tolerate real bikes or upright exercise bikes like this. The seat is chair-like with hand grips at hip level (you don't have to use the hand grips). It's magnetic with 10 levels and I think the mid-levels are just fine and I'm very active. There's room to grow with this thing.

This is very sleek in design and it's easy to move. It's comfortable which isn't something you can say about most exercise equipment. I get on it thinking that I'll do 20 minutes in the morning watching Fox and 40 minutes can just blow by!

Nordic Tracks are awesome but they aren't for everybody. I use mine every day from June through November but I like to XC ski so it's perfect. This bike is perfect for the "don't like to exercise" types (like me, really). It's quiet, unobtrusive, effective, cheap, and comfy.

Yep. Recumbent bikes are comfortable and give a good workout.

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM

I'll check one out, she has to get some exercise or she will lose the ability to walk all together. She uses two canes now and doesn't walk outside because of the uneven surfaces. I bought her a wheel chair because she wouldn't go out to eat any more. I probably should have posted this in the whiny zone, I'm just getting a little frustrated.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Yep. Recumbent bikes are comfortable and give a good workout.

They really do even if doesn't "feel" like it at the moment. It sure does 12 hours later. :D

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I'll check one out, she has to get some exercise or she will lose the ability to walk all together. She uses two canes now and doesn't walk outside because of the uneven surfaces. I bought her a wheel chair because she wouldn't go out to eat any more. I probably should have posted this in the whiny zone, I'm just getting a little frustrated.

Hang in there Rock. :)

stsinner
02-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Rock... pics?

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 10:23 PM
They really do even if doesn't "feel" like it at the moment. It sure does 12 hours later. :D

You got that right. Ever ride a "real" recumbent?

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Rock... pics?

I'll show pics of the treadmill when I execute it, I'm pissed it is going to die.

patriot45
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Rock... pics?

You wanna see a pic of a treadmill? Or are you sick and want a pic of his injured wife?

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll show pics of the treadmill when I execute it, I'm pissed it is going to die.

I was kidding about the lawsuit but you may want to report this to the manufacturer. If the dead man switch failed on your treadmill it may be indicative of a problem with the design.

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
This looks like it could work and the price isn't bad. I'll have to wait for her to heal up now.
http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-InTone-Folding-Recumbent-Exercise/dp/B002YH0A8Y

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM

She'll be secure in the InTone. One of the problems some people get is an inability to respond to uneven surfaces. Build her a frame and get her a cheapo balance board. You can probably just install rails in a small bathroom as long as she can touch both walls with arms extended (a lot of rural bathrooms fit this bill, I know ;))

Balance boards are like $15.00 bucks. She should also start walking on grass (with help) this spring. An hour of field walking several times a week will reverse her balance problems. One of my cousins is a physiotherapist for neurological patients at a research hospital. She tells all of us to walk on uneven surfaces as much as possible to preserve balance.

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 10:34 PM
I was kidding about the lawsuit but you may want to report this to the manufacturer. If the dead man switch failed on your treadmill it may be indicative of a problem with the design.

I'll check out the string , if it's made out of natural fiber it should have been replaced at regular intervals. I just don't think about those things. if I would have fallen on something like that I would have rolled away from it or fought it off, but to not be able to get off from it while it was running never crossed my mind.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
You got that right. Ever ride a "real" recumbent?

LOL! You outed me! I thought they were for sissies or cripples until I did a 9 mile ride on rolling terrain 2 years ago. It was all "These people are pussies" until about 2 hours after the ride. I thought I was gonna die. I'm in good shape and I ride bikes a lot although not in a competitive way. This wasn't competitive either; it was recreational.

My hair hurt. :p

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 10:39 PM
LOL! You outed me! I thought they were for sissies or cripples until I did a 9 mile ride on rolling terrain 2 years ago. It was all "These people are pussies" until about 2 hours after the ride. I thought I was gonna die. I'm in good shape and I ride bikes a lot although not in a competitive way. This wasn't competitive either; it was recreational.

My hair hurt. :p

Nice. :D

My next bike will be recumbent. I've ridden one and it felt weird but once you got the knack of it the design was amazingly efficient.

And comfortable (on the seat).

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 10:40 PM
She'll be secure in the InTone. One of the problems some people get is an inability to respond to uneven surfaces. Build her a frame and get her a cheapo balance board. You can probably just install rails in a small bathroom as long as she can touch both walls with arms extended (a lot of rural bathrooms fit this bill, I know ;))

Balance boards are like $15.00 bucks. She should also start walking on grass (with help) this spring. An hour of field walking several times a week will reverse her balance problems. One of my cousins is a physiotherapist for neurological patients at a research hospital. She tells all of us to walk on uneven surfaces as much as possible to preserve balance.

I tell her, if you don't use your muscles they atrophy, older people are only healthy as long as they stay active. She is 59 now and is having the same problems her father had. He gave up to soon too. 59 is not that old, I'm over 50 and I know a lot of 20 year old kids that can't keep up with me.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I tell her, if you don't use your muscles they atrophy, older people are only healthy as long as they stay active. She is 59 now and is having the same problems her father had. He gave up to soon too. 59 is not that old, I'm over 50 and I know a lot of 20 year old kids that can't keep up with me.

Use it or lose it. Outside of work I live a really traditional lifestyle: subsistence gardening, fishing, hunting, sewing, cooking from scratch, and so on. I don't have any of the major or minor complaints that a lot of my peers do (emotionally or physically).

I'm not an exercise fanatic at all but you've got do what you need to do to do what you want to do.

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Use it or lose it. Outside of work I live a really traditional lifestyle: subsistence gardening, fishing, hunting, sewing, cooking from scratch, and so on. I don't have any of the major or minor complaints that a lot of my peers do (emotionally or physically).

I'm not an exercise fanatic at all but you've got do what you need to do to do what you want to do.
Exactly one must always use moderation though. You do need to be careful of your joints. It is possible to wear them out!

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Exactly one must always use moderation though. You do need to be careful of your joints. It is possible to wear them out!

Which is why I will only run out of a burning building. God did not design me to run. :D

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Which is why I will only run out of a burning building. God did not design me to run. :D
I have never liked exercise equipment personally. I always try to apply the energy to something I need done.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I have never liked exercise equipment personally. I always try to apply the energy to something I need done.

That's the smart way.

Kay
02-24-2010, 11:21 PM

Was it a Toyota brand?
Sounds like the accelerator stuck.

I do hope she gets to feeling better.
That must have been a scary ordeal. :(

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Was it a Toyota brand?
Sounds like the accelerator stuck.

I do hope she gets to feeling better.
That must have been a scary ordeal. :(
Nope not a Toyota!:D I'm going to have to help her into the bedroom in a little while. She has been sitting in the chair the neighbor helped her to for several hours now. She says she can't walk, pulled muscles.

PoliCon
02-24-2010, 11:30 PM
That woman was using the treadmill we got her to get strength back in her legs while I was working today. She fell down and the string broke for the dead mans switch and it didnít shut off. She looks like she rolled down a hill with bruises and scuffs all over her.

prayers.

Kay
02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
She has been sitting in the chair the neighbor helped her to for several hours now. She says she can't walk, pulled muscles.

Now seriously, if she has a lot of pain you might should have her checked out by a doctor. Just today I learned of a vendor I often work with having surgery. He fell about 2 weeks ago and had a lot of pain in his arm. Didn't think it was more than just deep brusing, but when it kept hurting he finally went to the doctor and learned he'd broken his upper arm bone. They had to do surgery and go in to rebreak and reset it. Better to have a dry run to the doctor now rather than wait like that. If she's hurting bad tomorrow might should have her xrayed.

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
prayers.

Thanks Poli!:)

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Now seriously, if she has a lot of pain you might should have her checked out by a doctor. Just today I learned of a vendor I often work with having surgery. He fell about 2 weeks ago and had a lot of pain in his arm. Didn't think it was more than just deep brusing, but when it kept hurting he finally went to the doctor and learned he'd broken his upper arm bone. They had to do surgery and go in to rebreak and reset it. Better to have a dry run to the doctor now rather than wait like that. If she's hurting bad tomorrow might should have her xrayed.

I'm thinking the same thing. She won't go now but we'll see how she is tomorrow. I don't think anything is broken and we put antibiotic on all her abrasions. ( that thing was wicked, like a big belt sander)she pulled muscles straining to try to get away from it!

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Nope not a Toyota!:D I'm going to have to help her into the bedroom in a little while. She has been sitting in the chair the neighbor helped her to for several hours now. She says she can't walk, pulled muscles.

Hot compresses and mint/eucalyptus/pepper oils or gels. In truth, if she feels too "whatever" to do anything, that's it.

I feel too "whatever" to exercise a lot myself. I'm not a natural athlete. I have no natural talent or inclination for physical exercise. It hurts - that's normal.

If you wait to be interested or "okay" or to have the time, you'll never do it.

lacarnut
02-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Hope she has a fast recovery...she might feel better sitting in a hot tub of water.

Rockntractor
02-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Hope she has a fast recovery...she might feel better sitting in a hot tub of water.
I just got done taking her to the bathroom and bedroom with the wheel chair. She can't walk or stand.

Kay
02-25-2010, 12:33 AM
I was just thinking about the dangers of treadmills, and thought about Mike Tyson's daughter getting killed not long ago by one. Remember that? She got tangled in the pull cord and strangled to death. You can't be too careful around those things.

Well I'm off to bed myself. I sure hope she is able to sleep good and isn't too stiff and sore in the morning. God bless her.

linda22003
02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
I just got done taking her to the bathroom and bedroom with the wheel chair. She can't walk or stand.

Stop fooling around, both of you; get her to a doctor!

Gingersnap
02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Stop fooling around, both of you; get her to a doctor!

What Linda said. If she genuinely can't walk, it's time to call in the white coats. :(

Rockntractor
02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
She won't go. She has been close to being unable to walk for some time. She has mostly bruises and abrasions and a pulled muscle in her arm.I took her to the bathroom and over to her chair. A neighbor is coming over to help her until i get back home.

linda22003
02-25-2010, 10:51 AM
"Won't" go? "Unable to walk for some time"? She's in her fifties and she's in this condition? If she's averse to doctors, she needs to overcome it. If she's Christian Scientist, it isn't working.

megimoo
02-25-2010, 10:52 AM
She won't go. She has been close to being unable to walk for some time. She has mostly bruises and abrasions and a pulled muscle in her arm.I took her to the bathroom and over to her chair. A neighbor is coming over to help her until i get back home.She could have circulation problems in her legs.She should go to her doctor and have some testing done .If she has diabetes she should be tested for blockage in her legs and cathodic arterial blockage,either can lead to blood clots.

http://www.vascularweb.org/patients/NorthPoint/Leg_Artery_Disease.html

Rockntractor
02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
"Won't" go? "Unable to walk for some time"? She's in her fifties and she's in this condition? If she's averse to doctors, she needs to overcome it. If she's Christian Scientist, it isn't working.
She's been walking just barely with two canes and when we go some where we use a wheel chair. The doctor told me two years ago the only thing that would help is for her to try to exercise her legs. She has aged to the point of an 80 year old in the way she gets around. The doctor told me you can't force someone to fight and I have been increasingly aggravated with her the last few years. This isn't the first time I've come home to her banged up from falling, the treadmill just made it much worse.

stsinner
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Ha! I know a guy who turned his SoloFlex into the worlds most expensive clothes rack...

linda22003
02-25-2010, 11:59 AM
She's been walking just barely with two canes and when we go some where we use a wheel chair. The doctor told me two years ago the only thing that would help is for her to try to exercise her legs. She has aged to the point of an 80 year old in the way she gets around. The doctor told me you can't force someone to fight and I have been increasingly aggravated with her the last few years. This isn't the first time I've come home to her banged up from falling, the treadmill just made it much worse.

I'm sorry to hear it, especially if lack of exercise is all that's standing between her and good health. I detest exercise, but it's necessary to keep the body moving in order to keep your health.

Kay
02-25-2010, 11:30 PM

This sounds just like one of my good friends and co-workers just turned 60. Over the past I'd say about 3 years I've seen her go from a spry active woman to limping, to cane and then eventually to a full walker. She would come into work crying some mornings because it hurt her so bad just to get out of the car and walk in to her desk. She went to doctor after doctor and was taking pill after pill, eventually they did some kind of nerve proceedure where they permanently fried the nerves going from spine to hips. But she kept getting worse instead of better.

Finally this past Dec, she got a referral into a specialist of some kind who says they had all mis-diagnoised her all this time, and what she needed was 2 hip replacements. She just had the first one in January and said it was instant relief on that side. She can't wait to get the other side done. She said the pain of the surgery was far less than what she'd been having before.

Wonder if that could be Mrs. Rock's problem?

Rockntractor
02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
when she was five years old she fell out of a moving car and rolled down the middle of the road, she got a head injury that damaged her inner ear and threw off her sense of balance, that coupled with being born with a deformed foot. She had surgery on the foot about five years ago but it hasn't helped much. she has always walked but could never run, even when she was a little kid. All of that coupled with being under weight most of her life has left her awfully frail. The doctor told us she would have to exercise her legs if she wanted to keep walking.

Gingersnap
02-25-2010, 11:43 PM
This sounds just like one of my good friends and co-workers just turned 60. Over the past I'd say about 3 years I've seen her go from a spry active woman to limping, to cane and then eventually to a full walker. She would come into work crying some mornings because it hurt her so bad just to get out of the car and walk in to her desk. She went to doctor after doctor and was taking pill after pill, eventually they did some kind of nerve proceedure where they permanently fried the nerves going from spine to hips. But she kept getting worse instead of better.

Finally this past Dec, she got a referral into a specialist of some kind who says they had all mis-diagnoised her all this time, and what she needed was 2 hip replacements. She just had the first one in January and said it was instant relief on that side. She can't wait to get the other side done. She said the pain of the surgery was far less than what she'd been having before.

Wonder if that could be Mrs. Rock's problem?

A 50-something gal at my place had a bilateral hip replacement just this last November. She's back at work walking normally. I don't like this woman and don't socialize with her but she believes I'm a close friend.

She's bitching right now that her legs hurt because she's working muscles that she couldn't move back last fall!

It couldn't hurt to get that aspect checked out.

Kay
02-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Wow Rock, sounds like she has been through a lot in life. She must be a strong woman to have lived with that all this time, and to surive falling out of a car. Well, whatever the cause of her pains, you are both in my prayers. You're a good man Charlie Brown for taking such good care of her.

Kay
02-25-2010, 11:58 PM
She's bitching right now that her legs hurt because she's working muscles that she couldn't move back last fall!

Hey I know that feeling!
Everytime I get back on an exercise kick I feel the same way! :o