PDA

View Full Version : SeaWorld trainer killed by killer whale

SarasotaRepub
02-24-2010, 09:45 PM
:eek: I thought they were all cuddles and splashes!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/24/killer.whale.trainer.death/index.html?hpt=T2)

(CNN) -- A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Florida, a public information officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

The 40-year-old woman, identified by sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons as Dawn Brancheau, was in the whale holding area about 2 p.m. when "she apparently slipped or fell into the tank and was fatally injured by one of the whales," he said.

But a witness told CNN affiliate WKMG-TV that the whale approached the glass side of the 35-foot-deep tank at Shamu Stadium, jumped up and grabbed the trainer by the waist, shaking her so violently that her shoe came off.

This is a terrible story. They are wild animals and need to be treated as such.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 09:51 PM
:eek: I thought they were all cuddles and splashes!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/24/killer.whale.trainer.death/index.html?hpt=T2)

This is a terrible story. They are wild animals and need to be treated as such.

This is awful. Wild animals are wild. There's always a risk with them. :(

MountainMan
02-24-2010, 10:18 PM
I say let the Japanese in there to take care of the the whale now.......

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I say let the Japanese in there to take of the the whale now.......

nice....

MountainMan
02-24-2010, 10:24 PM
nice....

Sorry but I truly have little sympathy for those that take for granted natures animals..... These animals are not to be trifled with. They are extremely smart, extremely dangerous and will always be wild. To be honest, Im surprised it hasn't happened more often.

stsinner
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
We've unnaturally captivated these wild animals... What will be will be...

Bubba Dawg
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Sorry but I truly have little sympathy for those that take for granted natures animals..... These animals are not to be trifled with. They are extremely smart, extremely dangerous and will always be wild. To be honest, Im surprised it hasn't happened more often.

I know. That was funny though. :D

An old saying says, A dancing bear is still a bear.....

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm thinking fish stix!

Kay
02-24-2010, 11:05 PM
This is the THIRD person this SAME whale has killed. I think its time to turn him back out to sea, or at least retire him from working with humans. He obviously doesn't like our kind.

Rockntractor
02-24-2010, 11:07 PM
This is the THIRD person this same whale has killed. I think its time to turn him back out to sea, or at least retire him from working with humans. He obviously doesn't like our kind.

Chops, roasts, fillets, imitation crab meat, fish balls etc......

SaintLouieWoman
02-24-2010, 11:13 PM
This is the THIRD person this SAME whale has killed. I think its time to turn him back out to sea, or at least retire him from working with humans. He obviously doesn't like our kind.

There was a mention on Fox that she must have been one of the more experienced trainers to be allowed to work with him.

There's a lot of controvery with animal handling. They used to call elephant trainers "testosterone men", because of the nerve it took to get in with the elies. Wild animals are just that---wild and unpredictable.

I'm amazed they used that orca in the shows if there was a history of problems. We used to have elephant shows at our zoo, but they were stopped as the elephants didn't seem to particularly like performing all the time. Our zoo director didn't believe in the shows.. Besides, the lead elie was becoming very unpredictable. It wouldn't have been cool for her to charge into the arena.

We don't let visitors feed the goats (in many places you pay for food to feed them) and our only show is the sea lion show, where they "volunteer" to come out. They never know which animals will decide to come out for the treats. It's not mandatory.

Can't even imagine the trauma to the little kids at that session.

Hope they don't kill the orca. It was just doing what nature had programmed it to do.

lacarnut
02-24-2010, 11:18 PM

After the first time, that should have happened. A sad story.

Gingersnap
02-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Can't even imagine the trauma to the little kids at that session.

Hope they don't kill the orca. It was just doing what nature had programmed it to do.

Those kids will be fine. The whale just did what those animals do. It's shocking and sad but normal.

Right now we're talking about how "damaged" the non-injured kids at Deer Creek will be.

As a kid, I saw two fatal car accidents, one thumb servering, about 5 horse-related critical injuries, and untold outdoor/indoor blood-letting situations. I wasn't traumatized by any of this. It was scary/interesting/weird. Seeing life-gone-wrong isn't traumatic; it's a learning experience.

I'm sorry for those young people who are so sheltered that any life-threatening thing is traumatic.
Real life is messy and abrupt. A resilient child is going to be a happy, content adult. Parents teach this.

Kay
02-24-2010, 11:58 PM

Me too. I'd rather see him turned back out into the wild oceans. It's maybe a death sentence if he was raised in captivity, he might have a hard time learning to catch his own food in the big wide open. But I'd rather see him have that chance than to be just killed or put out of sight and left to rot in some small holding tank. At least if he croaked in the open ocean he'd feed some other hungry scavengers.

Articulate_Ape
02-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Video or it didn't happen. I'm just sayin'.

Kay
02-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Alrighty then, here you go:

qz_SHumjgPQ

In the first death, he was the ring leader and got two others to help him drown a guy. He's like Charleston Heston was in the world of the apes, trying to kill his captors and bust out.

Articulate_Ape
02-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Alrighty then, here you go:

VIDEO

In the first death, he was the ring leader and got two others to help him drown a guy. He's like Charleston Heston was in the world of the apes, trying to kill his captors and bust out.

I didn't see orca teeth rending human flesh in that. :(

SaintLouieWoman
02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
The whale was following instinct. I've been at the Johnston Straits, near Campbell River, BC (off Vancouver Island) whalewatching and saw a pod of non-resident orcas hunting seals. They were jumping near the banks, trying to pull a seal on the bank.

BTW, for the PETA types, the training used on the whales is a positive reinforcement method, with no coercion. They're not abusing those orcas.

I've never been to the facility in Orlando, so have no idea how large their tanks are.

Bubba Dawg
02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Chops, roasts, fillets, imitation crab meat, fish balls etc......

You eat fish balls? :eek:

Rockntractor
02-25-2010, 08:42 PM
You eat fish balls? :eek:
Ginger eats those. While they are watching!:eek:

Bubba Dawg
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM

:eek:

Gingersnap
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM