PDA

View Full Version : "Rather Have My Child Die Than Use A Gun?"

megimoo
02-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Guns, Teachers, and Self-Defense(Ma)
"A frightening view into the mind of a Spineless Liberal Coward or is it satire ?"

If you were having trouble understanding anti-gun people, this will not help. A high school math teacher named Doug Van Gorder wrote a letter to the Boston Globe decrying the idea of having self-defense guns in schools. In part of his letter, he shows what can surely be described as one of the most telling views into the minds of gun banners.

I AM a math teacher at Brockton High School, the site of a school shooting earlier this month.
snip
An alternative to lockdown is immediate exodus via announcement. Although this removes potential hostages and makes it nearly impossible for the shooter to acquire preselected targets, it unfairly rewards resourceful children who move to safety off-site more shrewdly and efficiently than others.

Schools should level playing fields, not intrinsically reward those more resourceful. A level barrel is fair to all fish.
snip
But as a progressive, I would sooner lay my child to rest than succumb to the belief that the use of a gun for self-defense is somehow not in itself a gun crime.

I simply have nothing to add to that.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2459630/posts

NJCardFan
02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
I don't have the words. And to think this moron is teaching children.

aerojarod
02-26-2010, 09:31 AM
My suspicions about this line make me think it's heavy satire:

"...it unfairly rewards resourceful children who move to safety off-site more shrewdly and efficiently than others."

FlaGator
02-26-2010, 09:33 AM

"...it unfairly rewards resourceful children who move to safety off-site more shrewdly and efficiently than others."

The problem is that I have seen things of a similar nature on DU.

aerojarod
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Well then part of our comprehensive security plan should be to remove all carbonated sugary beverages from school vending machines and have madated gym class twice a week to keep lil' Johnny in tip top shape for fleeing gunmen.

AmPat
02-26-2010, 09:45 AM

For some strange reason the lines and video from a Monte Python clip come to mind. "Run Away!"

Unfortunately, these warped idiots are the driving force behind major policies and eventual laws. If this idiot were ever confronted with the horror of hiding under a table while the armed madman walks around shooting people like fish in a barrel, he would receive a sudden and enlightened change of attitude toward guns.

FlaGator
02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
For some strange reason the lines and video from a Monte Python clip come to mind. "Run Away!"

Unfortunately, these warped idiots are the driving force behind major policies and eventual laws. If this idiot were ever confronted with the horror of hiding under a table while the armed madman walks around shooting people like fish in a barrel, he would receive a sudden and enlightened change of attitude toward guns.

Perspective is a wonderful thing isn't it?

noonwitch
02-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Yeah, but this was posted on Free Republic, so I assume also that it is sarcasm.

I don't remember anyone at DU saying quite this, but I can remember some who would rather have their children in prison than in the military, which is almost as bad. I think there was one who was plotting a way to make her kid fail his drug test or something at one point.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, but this was posted on Free Republic, so I assume also that it is sarcasm.

I don't remember anyone at DU saying quite this, but I can remember some who would rather have their children in prison than in the military, which is almost as bad. I think there was one who was plotting a way to make her kid fail his drug test or something at one point.

See, this is where liberals need to take lessons from conservatives...If you don't want your kid going into the army, don't get him arrested, just have his doctor ''find'' a pilonidal cyst'' and he's all clear.

noonwitch
02-26-2010, 11:27 AM
See, this is where liberals need to take lessons from conservatives...If you don't want your kid going into the army, don't get him arrested, just have his doctor ''find'' a pilonidal cyst'' and he's all clear.

Being really fat kept one of our former governors out fo the service during Vietnam.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-26-2010, 11:42 AM

Being really fat kept one of our former governors out fo the service during Vietnam.

Bubba?

megimoo
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM

I don't remember anyone at DU saying quite this, but I can remember some who would rather have their children in prison than in the military, which is almost as bad. I think there was one who was plotting a way to make her kid fail his drug test or something at one point.Actually it was written by a very progressive Brockton Ma. school teacher on a talk back to the Boston Globe,one of your most liberal Boston rags .

The Freeper is just posting what interests him .You take your news from the Dump and I'll take mine from Free Republic and we'll see which is the most biased !The reason for my comment that it may be satire is some of his previous comments on that NY Times owned Boston rag !