PDA

View Full Version : Gays in the Military/DADT

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
While I'm generally center-left or leftist depending on your view,
One area I completely agree with conservatives about is the issue of DADT and gays in the military. See for many it comes off as a moral issue or an issue of discrimination. It's not. It's a simple issue actually, and an important one--It's an issue of practicality and logistics, to very important things in any organization or hierarchy or chain of command.

Introducing open homosexuality creates a lot of logistics problems--Where do we house gays? With straights? With women? In their own areas--but then gays will cry they're being discriminated against by having to be forced into their own housing--And even if they were in their own separate housing, those houses might become in many cases a den of gay sex.
What about bisexuals? Transgendered?
What about showering? Same issues as above? What about gays talking about their lovers, or even about gay sex--I know men in the military talk sex or talk about their wives; Hell, I've read a letter my grandpa's friend wrote to him during WWII asking him how the ''hunt for Poon-Tang'' was going. That's what men do--talk about their wives back at home and about p*ssy. Should gays be able to talk about their lovers and their sex lives--What if makes straights uncomfortable?

What straight soldiers' discomfort of homosexuals? Should we fire half the military for being intolerant? What if gays flirt in front of straight soldiers--that would disgust many men I know, or what if a gay soldier hits on a straight soldier--Gay advances to straight men I know has resulted in violence. Do we need that in the military, which is about discipline?
and while yes, it's unfair that they can't serve openly, I think it's the only practical solution.

aerojarod
02-26-2010, 12:41 PM
The Military is not subject to the same rules and standards as open society. It is an organization in and of iteself and should not be a pitri dish for liberals to conduct their social experiments. The values the military needs to focus on are lethality, discipline, honor... not diversity, equality, and social justice. I have no doubt there are some gay americans that are, and would make, excellent serivicemen... and they should be allowed to serve- so long as they remain committed to their duty, not any goals of forcing change within the ranks.

Don't make waves. Make dead bad guys.

BadCat
02-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Let them in.

They can be point for squads in Afghanistan.

They can't complain, they like to have men behind them.

megimoo
02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Let them in.

They can be point for squads in Afghanistan.

They can't complain, they like to have men behind them.And It will get the Muzzie's all excited when they capture a few.They will enjoy chopping their little wie wie's off with their Scimitars.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Seething hatred and desiring others' deaths cause you don't like their sex lives is so loving.

ColonialMarine0431
02-26-2010, 01:27 PM
If it ain't broke, why mess with it?

Conway reaffirms opposition to DADT repeal

Marine Commandant Gen. James Conway told Senate lawmakers Thursday he opposes permitting gays and lesbians to serve openly in the Marine Corps, asking rhetorically whether repealing the law known as “don’t ask, don’t tell” would help the fighting readiness of the Marine Corps.

Conway, who appeared before the Senate Armed Services Committee with Navy Secretary Ray Mabus and Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead, stressed that his view was his own. All three leaders told senators that whatever happens, they will abide by the orders of the president and the laws passed by Congress.

“My personal opinion is that unless we can strip away the emotion, the agendas and the politics and ask, at least in my case, do we somehow enhance the war-fighting capabilities of the United States Marine Corps by allowing homosexuals to openly serve?” Conway said. “We haven't addressed it from the correct perspective. At this point, I think that the current policy works. My best military advice to this committee, to the secretary, and to the president would be to keep the law such as it is.”

FULL STORY (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/02/marine_conway_dadt_022510w/)

BadCat
02-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Seething hatred and desiring others' deaths cause you don't like their sex lives is so loving.

Oh look. Another idiot that swallowed that meme about "compassionate conservatism".

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Oh look. Another idiot that swallowed that meme about "compassionate conservatism".

I thought conservatism was about small government and government not ''being on your back.'' I didn't know it was about hating wishing dead those you don't like, not because they've done something to you, but simply because they don't live like you do.

BadCat
02-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I thought conservatism was about small government and government not ''being on your back.'' I didn't know it was about hating wishing dead those you don't like, not because they've done something to you, but simply because they don't live like you do.

You're mixing "conservatism" with "personal opinion".

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM

You're mixing "conservatism" with "personal opinion".

You brought up conservatism.

linda22003
02-26-2010, 03:36 PM
What's the sense in the Army kicking Arabic,Persian, and Pashto linguists out of the Army because they're gay? Don't we need those job skills these days?

Rockntractor
02-26-2010, 03:52 PM
What's the sense in the Army kicking Arabic,Persian, and Pashto linguists out of the Army because they're gay? Don't we need those job skills these days?
Actually being gay and speaking middle eastern languages would be a plus. They would be less likely to be sympathetic to muslims.

noonwitch
02-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Actually being gay and speaking middle eastern languages would be a plus. They would be less likely to be sympathetic to muslims.

That's kind of what I thought, too. If you know that certain people want to kill you because of your sexuality, you're probably not going to be very loyal to them.

I'm of the Chris Rock mentality about gays in the military-why not? I'm not going.

BadCat
02-26-2010, 07:02 PM
You brought up conservatism.

Your idiotic "so loving" statement leads me to believe you think you'll hold us to the standards of the "compassionate conservative".

While I am certainly conservative, I am, in no way, compassionate.

Apache
02-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Your idiotic "so loving" statement leads me to believe you think you'll hold us to the standards of the "compassionate conservative".

While I am certainly conservative, I am, in no way, compassionate.

Liar....

Them girlie pics are compassionate.....right?:p

stsinner
02-26-2010, 07:13 PM
The Military is not subject to the same rules and standards as open society. It is an organization in and of iteself and should not be a pitri dish for liberals to conduct their social experiments. The values the military needs to focus on are lethality, discipline, honor... not diversity, equality, and social justice. I have no doubt there are some gay americans that are, and would make, excellent serivicemen... and they should be allowed to serve- so long as they remain committed to their duty, not any goals of forcing change within the ranks.

Don't make waves. Make dead bad guys.

Damned well said!

djones520
02-26-2010, 07:16 PM
As an Active Duty member, I have conflicting views. While I personally have no problems with gays openly serving in the military, I am against allowing it at the moment.

To much "hatred" still exists, and while I have little doubt that over the first few years many true blue liberal gays will join and quickly be drummed out, I think the majority of the issues will come from those who cannot tolerate gays. It's no secret that the majority of the military holds to conservative beliefs, and anyone just needs to look at websites like this to see that the opinion for gays is anything but stellar.

What I do see as positive news regarding the subject is that recently the Military Times conducted a poll that has shown that Service Members are growing more open to the idea. I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but I think it's grown something like 8% in the last 5 years or so.

Whether or not DADT will be repealed in my career, I don't know. But I would imagine that maybe in the next 20 years or so the military, and the US will be socially ready to accept it.

Rockntractor
02-26-2010, 09:45 PM
I think it should be up to the military who the want to allow and who they don't want to allow and they should be able to do it on a case by case basis at their discretion. Politicians should stay out of it as well as me.