PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude 4.4 Quake Shakes Oklahoma

Kay
02-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Magnitude 4.4 Quake Shakes Oklahoma
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Associated Press

SPARKS, Okla. — A magnitude 4.4 earthquake has hit Lincoln County, but no injuries and little property damage are reported, the U.S. Geological Survey says. The agency said the earthquake hit about three miles east of Sparks about 4:22 p.m. Saturday. Sparks is between Chandler and Meeker.

A Lincoln County 911 dispatcher said no injuries and only minor property damage were reported. People also reported feeling the temblor in Norman, Prague, Seminole, and as far as Tulsa.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587607,00.html

Rockntractor, did you feel this?

Rockntractor
02-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Rockntractor, did you feel this?

I thought it was a little gas from breakfast!:confused::eek:

Bubba Dawg
02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I thought it was a little gas from breakfast!:confused::eek:

Like you ever have a LITTLE GAS.....:p:D

Rockntractor
02-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Like you ever have a LITTLE GAS.....:p:D

Well yeah butt.......

Kay
02-27-2010, 09:37 PM
This is all a prelude to 12-21-2012. The end is near.....OMG!

We've had several pretty good quakes here in West Tx. One about this size (4.4) in the late 1980s that happened right under my feet. That was the eeriest feeling. It was late at night, and I was in bed watching tv. My dog started whinning and looking at me like wtf...then all the handles on the dresser and nightstand drawers started flopping. I thought I had a poltergiest in the room there for a minute. Then you could literally feel the vibration moving upwards from way deep down and it shook the whole house as it passed up through through to the surface. It's a feeling I'll never forget. Then we had 2 more pretty good ones around that same time. I slept through one, and was standing in my kitchen and felt the other move up through my feet. From the two I did feel, that were very mild, I can't imagine how it would feel to be in a major one like they just had in Chilie.

Has anyone else here got any good earthquake stories to tell?

megimoo
02-27-2010, 10:07 PM

We've had several pretty good quakes here in West Tx. One about this size (4.4) in the late 1980s that happened right under my feet. That was the eeriest feeling. It was late at night, and I was in bed watching tv. My dog started whinning and looking at me like wtf...then all the handles on the dresser and nightstand drawers started flopping. I thought I had a poltergiest in the room there for a minute. Then you could literally feel the vibration moving upwards from way deep down and it shook the whole house as it passed up through through to the surface. It's a feeling I'll never forget. Then we had 2 more pretty good ones around that same time. I slept through one, and was standing in my kitchen and felt the other move up through my feet. From the two I did feel, that were very mild, I can't imagine how it would feel to be in a major one like they just had in Chilie.

Sure I've been through about four fairly 'good' and a bunch of little 'tea cup shakers' out in California.The first going to Navy 'B' school in San Diego .The classroom started shaking and the instructor took us outside into a field.It shook so hard that we couldn't stand up But it quickly passed.

The others were small and quick,something like a dizzy spell that makes you wonder what just happened.The last one I was with some customers in a restaurant having dinner when the wagon wheel ceiling light just over our heads started jumping up and down and people started yelling and running out of the place .My customers being dummy's kept on eating but I started down a hallway to the front exit. When I passed a room with an open door out to the parking lot so I went that way .The parking lot had an cement block wall dividing the lots and the top course was moving one way and the next course was moving the other ,Sort of like a cow chewing her cud.

It only lasted about ten minutes but It seemed forever.When I finally gathered up my dumb customers and took them back to their hotel I found that it was a five point eight quake and we were just about over the epicenter.

That one dropped a few Freeway bridges tore up part of the San Diego Freeway but no loss of life.They discovered a new plate fracture that they had never mapped before.

SarasotaRepub
02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I woke up just before a 5.0 hit when I was in New Jersey. I heard a roar, the house shook for a few seconds and then it moved on, I could hear it moving away.

Cool stuff! :cool:

I also felt the 5.5 that hit here in MO about a year ago, SLW slept right through it. :D

megimoo
02-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I woke up just before a 5.0 hit when I was in New Jersey. I heard a roar, the house shook for a few seconds and then it moved on, I could hear it moving away.

Cool stuff! :cool:

I also felt the 5.5 that hit here in MO about a year ago, SLW slept right through it. :DYou like these things don't you ?

ironhorsedriver
02-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Looks like Gaia is tuning up for 2012.

SaintLouieWoman
02-28-2010, 06:20 PM
You like these things don't you ?

How can you tell? :p

We were going to Lowe's and to Costco yesterday, but had to wait while SR waited til 3:05pm CST to see the tsunami that would swallow Hawaii. When nothing happened by 3:30pm, said time to go. :D

Bubba Dawg
02-28-2010, 06:32 PM

We were going to Lowe's and to Costco yesterday, but had to wait while SR waited til 3:05pm CST to see the tsunami that would swallow Hawaii. When nothing happened by 3:30pm, said time to go. :D

He didn't run around going Surf's Up....Surf's Up...did he? :D

SarasotaRepub
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM

No. But I wanted to see at least a widdle mayhem. :p;)

SaintLouieWoman
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Not much surfing on the west coast of Florida. :D He's not exactly a surfing dude.

Bubba Dawg
02-28-2010, 08:40 PM
No. But I want to see at least a widdle mayhem. :p;)

As it turned out, a widdle is all there was.....:D

patriot45
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM

The talking heads on all the constant coverage really hedged thier bets! It could be big or it could be small! We still set out snacks and drinks for the big show!:D

noonwitch
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM

We had a small one in Michigan in the late 90s. I was working on the 4th floor of a building that no longer exists (although not because of the tremor), it was about 4 on a Friday afternoon, so the office was pretty empty. I was really dizzy for a couple of seconds, then everything in the office (cubicle walls, glass things) rattled for about 10 seconds. I thought a truck had blown up on 1-94 again, or something like that. When I got in the car an hour later, they were saying on the news that there had been a minor quake in the midwest. People who didn't work in an elevated building, or even the people on the first floor of my building, didn't even feel it at all.

There was a similar one in the mid 80s, but I slept through it. I was working midnights at the time, and it struck sometime after I went to bed.