PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Stories?

djones520
03-02-2010, 02:35 AM
Since I'm deploying this summer, I was looking at hiring a Charter out on Lake Michigan to do some Brown Trout/Steelhead fishing with some friends, and it got me thinking about my fishing history, and curious about others.

The first time I remember going fishing was on a fish farm in Texas when my dad was stationed at San Angelo AFB. I was 4 or 5 at the time, and have been hooked since. I've done every kind of fishing I can think of since then. Louisiana and Florida Swamps, Deep Sea wreck fishing in the Gulf, flounder fishing in the Mutsu Bay of northern Japan, extensively fished everything Michigan has to offer from Bass to Carp to Muskie and Salmon, and even done shark fishing and crabbing in Vancouver.

Biggest fish I've had to have caught would be a Chinook Salmon out of Lake Michigan. I know I've caught a couple ranging from 25-30 lbs. I've fought one that I was sure tipped the scales closer to 40lbs for about an hour, but he eventually got away before I could beach him.

My sons just turning 2 this year so he's a bit to young to start learning how to fish, but I'm eagerly waiting to introduce him to the fun of the sport. I'm gonna buy my grand fathers bass boat from him next year, and hopefully he'll be old enough to atleast go out with me by that point and starting to appreciate it.

So what about the rest of you guys?

Constitutionally Speaking
03-02-2010, 06:00 AM
When I was a teenager, my father, myself and my mother were on the west arm of Grand Traverse Bay - out in front of Greilickville, trolling for Lake Trout/Salmon.

We were one of the few who "pulled wire" in addition to running down-riggers. Anyway, we connected with a nice Laker on the wire and almost simultaneously had one on one of the down-riggers. It just so happened that the two became horribly tangled and the line on pole with that was on the down-rigger was cut by the wire line. We landed the fish that was on the wire line, cleaned up the tangle and re-set the lines and trolled back over the area where we had hooked those two earlier. Now, back in that time, brightly colored line was somewhat popular (why I cannot say) - and we had this god-awful almost neon yellow line on some of the rods - including the one that was cut in the earlier mishap. We soon had another fish on the wire line and another one on the same down-rigger line. Bringing in the wire line we discovered that god-awful yellow line was tangled in the wire line AGAIN. Mom sat trying to untangle that mess while I reeled in the down-rigger line to take up the slack. Dad steered the boat and held the "meat hook" - as we called the wire line/lure combination. I was trying to take up the slack - except as I reeled it closer to the boat - it became obvious that I had a fish on - and it was NOT tangled in the wire line. We landed my fish, Mom had almost finished untangling the wire line and the yellow line we snagged when we discovered there was STILL a fish on the tangled yellow line - AND the wire line separately! We landed all three fish - and sure enough the tangled yellow line had the same lure we had lost in our earlier pass through that area. We apparently had snagged our own line that had been cut in the earlier tangle - and the fish was still on.

This is not a small body of water, so the odds of doing this was very VERY slight. This is my best fish story - and it is better because it is true - and still brings chuckles to my Mom, Dad and I whenever it comes up.

djones520
03-02-2010, 06:03 AM
I used to fish in the mouth of the Boardman, on the West bay all the time. Caught a LOT of Kings in there when they started running.

My dad and I would sometimes have to hand them off to the local homeless because DNR guys would come down and make sure we weren't catching over our limit.

I'm going to be fishing out of Manistee in June. You ever go up there?

noonwitch
03-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I caught a fish once when I was about 4, in Lake St. Clair. It wasn't really big, just a little lake perch, and I threw it back. Somewhere, I have a picture my mom took of my dad handing it to me after he took the hook out of it's mouth, and I didn't really want to touch it was scaly.

I used to babysit for some people who had a cottage on an inland lake, but would go out on Lake Michigan for salmon and trout. They would haul in pounds of trout in the summer, bring it back to the cottage, and fry it up for all the people who had cottages around theirs. They took their boat out of Manistee.

My dad always liked to fish in Grand Traverse Bay, and caught some big trout there. He still fishes in Florida, but as he is handicapped, he has to go out on one of those special charters they have in Florida for old men in wheelchairs who like to fish.

It should be a good summer for fishing and swimming in Lake Michigan. There's been a lot of snow this year, so the water level should rise even more than it did last summer. My grandpa still lives in his house on the OMP with two lots worth of frontage on the East Bay.

03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I used to fish in the mouth of the Boardman, on the West bay all the time. Caught a LOT of Kings in there when they started running.

My dad and I would sometimes have to hand them off to the local homeless because DNR guys would come down and make sure we weren't catching over our limit.

I'm going to be fishing out of Manistee in June. You ever go up there?

Used to - a LOT. I now tend to do more river fishing - ON the Manistee but just south of Hodenpyle - or up north of Grayling in the Deward area.

I still fish the Boardman also - but for trout near Ranch Rudolph or the "Forks" campground.

03-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I caught a fish once when I was about 4, in Lake St. Clair. It wasn't really big, just a little lake perch, and I threw it back. Somewhere, I have a picture my mom took of my dad handing it to me after he took the hook out of it's mouth, and I didn't really want to touch it was scaly.

I used to babysit for some people who had a cottage on an inland lake, but would go out on Lake Michigan for salmon and trout. They would haul in pounds of trout in the summer, bring it back to the cottage, and fry it up for all the people who had cottages around theirs. They took their boat out of Manistee.

My dad always liked to fish in Grand Traverse Bay, and caught some big trout there. He still fishes in Florida, but as he is handicapped, he has to go out on one of those special charters they have in Florida for old men in wheelchairs who like to fish.

It should be a good summer for fishing and swimming in Lake Michigan. There's been a lot of snow this year, so the water level should rise even more than it did last summer. My grandpa still lives in his house on the OMP with two lots worth of frontage on the East Bay.

That land is worth a pretty penny. If he ever wants to sell - have him give me a call.

djones520
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Used to - a LOT. I now tend to do more river fishing - ON the Manistee but just south of Hodenpyle - or up north of Grayling in the Deward area.

I still fish the Boardman also - but for trout near Ranch Rudolph or the "Forks" campground.

When I get my grandfathers boat, we'll have to meet up sometime to fish. My mother lives and works in the Manistee area, so I'm up there a lot.

noonwitch
03-03-2010, 11:39 AM
That land is worth a pretty penny. If he ever wants to sell - have him give me a call.

He's going to be 97 this summer. He told me that he bought the property because he planned to live there until he dies.

My mom and her older brother plan to sell it once they inherit it, because they are greedy. In good economic times, they could probably get $1.5 million for it-the buyer would probably tear down Grandpa's house and build some ugly monstrosity on the spot.

My sister and I want to find a way to keep the home in the family once Grandpa is gone, so that we have it for a vacation spot. None of us grandchildren have enough money to buy it-except my 22 year old cousin who deals ecstasy when he's not working at the local car wash.

djones520
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
He's going to be 97 this summer. He told me that he bought the property because he planned to live there until he dies.

My mom and her older brother plan to sell it once they inherit it, because they are greedy. In good economic times, they could probably get $1.5 million for it-the buyer would probably tear down Grandpa's house and build some ugly monstrosity on the spot.

My sister and I want to find a way to keep the home in the family once Grandpa is gone, so that we have it for a vacation spot. None of us grandchildren have enough money to buy it-except my 22 year old cousin who deals ecstasy when he's not working at the local car wash.

Try to do that. I lost my "family" land in the Traverse City area to people who are just trying to flip it. Pisses me off to know end.

noonwitch
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Try to do that. I lost my "family" land in the Traverse City area to people who are just trying to flip it. Pisses me off to know end.

There are no good deals on bay or Lake Michigan frontage anymore.

There are some incredible deals to be found for places on the inland lakes, especially Lake Arbutus and the twin lakes in Interlochen. Some of them are even under $100,000. I applied for a job at Interlochen Arts Academy a few years ago, and I was checking out the local real estate magazines. There were some good deals then, but last summer, there were even better deals available.

Lake Arbutus and Spider Lake are just south of Traverse City, near the Boardman River.

03-03-2010, 07:05 PM

There are some incredible deals to be found for places on the inland lakes, especially Lake Arbutus and the twin lakes in Interlochen. Some of them are even under $100,000. I applied for a job at Interlochen Arts Academy a few years ago, and I was checking out the local real estate magazines. There were some good deals then, but last summer, there were even better deals available.

Lake Arbutus and Spider Lake are just south of Traverse City, near the Boardman River.

I've fished Arbutus quite a bit, but not Spider Lake. The prices in that area ARE pretty reasonable if are not on the Lake (or can see the lake).

03-03-2010, 07:07 PM
When I get my grandfathers boat, we'll have to meet up sometime to fish. My mother lives and works in the Manistee area, so I'm up there a lot.

Would love to.

patriot45
03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Would love to.

Sorry, Florida has the best fishin there is! Fresh water or saltwater! No contest!

Whoohoo!.... I mean Wahoo! :D
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/markfishing013.jpg

djones520
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM

My family had 10 acres about 5 minutes west of Interlochen. It didn't have any water on the property, but it was right up against several thousand acres of state forest. My fathers renters stiffed him on 6 months of rent, ransacked the place of all major appliances, and just dissapeared one night. He ended up having to declare bankruptcy and lost the property. It went up for $48,000 and I tried to buy it but the realtor never returned my calls and sold it to the ones trying to flip it now.

djones520
03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Sorry, Florida has the best fishin there is! Fresh water or saltwater! No contest!

Whoohoo!.... I mean Wahoo! :D
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/markfishing013.jpg

Florida would be my second favorite state for fishing. I'm going down there sometime in the next couple months for some training and I'm psyched about the fishing I'll get to do while down there.

RobJohnson
03-04-2010, 01:35 AM
I fished alot when I was growing up, the most one on one time that me and my sister ever got to spend with my dad was when we were out in the boat fishing. Otherwise he was always working.

In Illinois I lived close to several ponds, lakes, canals & rivers. Including the Mississippi. As an adult I would be lucky to make it out once or twice a year to fish. I did not have alot of patience.

I've fished in some wonderful spots, including spending an summer living in a cabin on the Rock River in Illinois, and spending some time in a lakeside cottage in WI.

I have not been fishing in at least four years. There is no water here inmy part of Nevada, other then Lake Mead, which I still have not seen up close. I'm also told there are some lakes up in the mountains that sound like they would be fun to check out. I like the water, more then I like fish.

RobJohnson
03-04-2010, 01:37 AM

During my high school years I spent a summer in Holiday, FL.

My Aunt & Uncle lived on a canal, the fishing was awesome. It was a mix of salt and fresh...

djones520
03-04-2010, 01:43 AM
During my high school years I spent a summer in Holiday, FL.

My Aunt & Uncle lived on a canal, the fishing was awesome. It was a mix of salt and fresh...

Yeah, greatest thing about fishing in Florida was you never knew what the hell you were going to catch. Could be a speckled trout, could be a hammerhead. :D

patriot45
03-04-2010, 01:49 AM
I fished alot when I was growing up, the most one on one time that me and my sister ever got to spend with my dad was when we were out in the boat fishing. Otherwise he was always working.

In Illinois I lived close to several ponds, lakes, canals & rivers. Including the Mississippi. As an adult I would be lucky to make it out once or twice a year to fish. I did not have alot of patience.

I've fished in some wonderful spots, including spending an summer living in a cabin on the Rock River in Illinois, and spending some time in a lakeside cottage in WI.

I have not been fishing in at least four years. There is no water here inmy part of Nevada, other then Lake Mead, which I still have not seen up close. I'm also told there are some lakes up in the mountains that sound like they would be fun to check out. I like the water, more then I like fish.

My second wife came from Decataur and her BIL took me fishin on lake Clinton, yeah, Clinton! That was the first time I caught a Wally pike! Toothy little bastard but fun to catch!

RobJohnson
03-04-2010, 01:54 AM
My second wife came from Decataur and her BIL took me fishin on lake Clinton, yeah, Clinton! That was the first time I caught a Wally pike! Toothy little bastard but fun to catch!

Very good to eat also...if it does not eat you first! :D

djones520
03-04-2010, 04:13 AM

Pike are good fighters. I've never caught one on purpose. I always catch them when fishing for bass. They've made off with more then a few of my lures. :mad:

03-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Pike are good fighters. I've never caught one on purpose. I always catch them when fishing for bass. They've made off with more then a few of my lures. :mad:

I've got a pike story from when I was very little, but no time right now.

RobJohnson
03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I've got a pike story from when I was very little, but no time right now.

Tease.

03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok - This is one of my earliest memories.

My family went up to Raber bay in the Eastern part of the Upper Peninsula - right along the border with Canada.

We were fishing specifically for Pike and would troll along the shipping channels up there. (Reminds me of a story about fog and the now infamous Edmond Fitzgerald)

ANYWAY, we had been fishing for a while with moderate success, when my father pulled the boat alongside a friend from back home who also happened to be fishing up there. As they were talking I played with my fishing pole along side the boat - just dipping my Daredevil (lure) ito the water and moving it around along-side the boat. I saw a shadow, and my lure just kind of disappeared under the boat - I just thought that was weird but didn't put 2 and 2 together - until my rod was nearly pulled out of the boat. I don't remember much else except it was the largest fish of the day - and probably the largest pike we have ever caught - it was 36 inches long.

I named him Seymour.

Here are a few pictures of they pike we grow here in Michigan. (not mine)

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/527/medium/image0035.jpg

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/527/medium/image0021.jpg

patriot45
03-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow! I musta caught a baby! Mine went about 5 lbs!!!! Thats a monster!

On edit mine was a wally pike, what kind is that!??

djones520
03-05-2010, 08:00 PM

That's a Northern Pike. I saw one about that big once, in a small channel on a big string of lakes near Barryton, Mi. We tried catching it, but it didn't want to have a thing to do with our lures.

Biggest one I've landed was maybe 5lbs.

patriot45
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
That's a Northern Pike. I saw one about that big once, in a small channel on a big string of lakes near Barryton, Mi. We tried catching it, but it didn't want to have a thing to do with our lures.

Biggest one I've landed was maybe 5lbs.

Just add that to the places I won't go swimmin!! :D

03-05-2010, 08:12 PM

Walleye pike are actually members of the Perch family - This is a Northern Pike which is related to the Muskies (Muskellunge) which are bigger yet - and we have them in Michigan also.

A very large Walleye will be in the 10 lb range and actually a big one will run 5 lbs. Most are in the 2-3 lb range.

Walleye are VERY good eating.

Here are some Walleye pictures (again, not mine)

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/04/large_bigwalleye.jpg

http://www.michigansportsmanmag.com/fishing/walleyes-fishing/MI_0609_01A.jpg

patriot45
03-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Walleye pike are actually members of the Perch family - This is a Northern Pike which is related to the Muskies (Muskellunge) which are bigger yet - and we have them in Michigan also.

A very large Walleye will be in the 10 lb range and actually a big one will run 5 lbs. Most are in the 2-3 lb range.

Yeah! Thats just like the booger I caught, In Lake Clinton of all places!

Rockntractor
03-05-2010, 08:28 PM

http://www.michigansportsmanmag.com/fishing/walleyes-fishing/MI_0609_01A.jpg

I caught many growing up in Minnesota.

03-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I caught many growing up in Minnesota.

They are a VERY good eating fish. When I was growing up, we lived not too far off from Saginaw Bay in Michigan. The fishing for Walleyes was exceptional and we spent many days limiting out on big fish. It's been a while since I have fished for walleyes (or pike for that matter).

Rockntractor
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
They are a VERY good eating fish. When I was growing up, we lived not too far off from Saginaw Bay in Michigan. The fishing for Walleyes was exceptional and we spent many days limiting out on big fish. It's been a while since I have fished for walleyes (or pike for that matter).

Same here, the pike were good too but they had a lot of fine bones. I used to catch the pike below the dams casting with daredevils or trolling the bigger lakes. My grandpa used to spear the muskies and pike in the winter, but I never got in on that.

patriot45
03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Same here, the pike were good too but they had a lot of fine bones. I used to catch the pike below the dams casting with daredevils or trolling the bigger lakes. My grandpa used to spear the muskies and pike in the winter, but I never got in on that.

My Grandpa used dynomite! Worked well!

Rockntractor
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
My Grandpa used dynomite! Worked well!
Ugh!:confused::eek:

03-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Never speared a muskie - but I have speared many-a pike through the ice.

RobJohnson
03-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I woke up smelling like I cleaned fish all night. :D

M21
03-07-2010, 10:58 AM
On the Klutina River in Alaska a few years ago. In the Cooper River drainage

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/M21/Salm3.jpg

Rockntractor
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
On the Klutina River in Alaska a few years ago. In the Cooper River drainage

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/M21/Salm3.jpg

Now that's a feesh!:eek:

03-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Pike are tasty also, but you are correct about the "Y" bones they have. I USED to know a technique to get rid of them in the filleting process, but cannot remember it.

03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Hey M21 - been out on the reservoirs lately - and if so how did you do?? When does the ice go out??

M21
03-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Hey M21 - been out on the reservoirs lately - and if so how did you do?? When does the ice go out??

Not too much this year. The rivers are starting to pick up a little bit. We were over near Breckenridge skiing yesterday and saw a couple of guys out on the reservoir ice fishing.

03-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I'd like to head out there again this summer - I simply love the mountains.