PDA

View Full Version : Judge Orders New York City to Move Mentally Ill Out of Large, Institutional Housing

Gingersnap
03-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Judge Orders New York City to Move Mentally Ill Out of Large, Institutional Housing

By A. G. SULZBERGER
Published: March 1, 2010

New York State must begin moving thousands of people with mental illness into their own apartments or small homes and out of large, institutional adult homes that keep them segregated from society, a federal judge ordered on Monday.

The decision, by Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis of Federal District Court in Brooklyn, followed his ruling in September that the conditions at more than two dozen privately run adult homes in New York City violated the Americans With Disabilities Act by leaving approximately 4,300 mentally ill residents isolated in warehouselike conditions.

The remedial plan offered by Judge Garaufis, drawn from a proposal presented by advocates for the mentally ill that was backed by the Justice Department, calls on New York to develop at least 1,500 units of so-called supported housing a year for the next three years in New York City. That would give nearly all residents the opportunity to move out of adult homes.

Gloria Thomas, who lives in a shared room at the Queens Adult Care Center in Elmhurst, reacted to the ruling with joy. “Thank you Jesus, this is what I’ve been waiting for for the longest time,” said Ms. Thomas, 54, who has been at the home for two years. “I need to get out of here.”

In supported housing, a resident lives alone or in a small group and receives specialized services from counselors who visit as needed.

“This will give adult home residents the opportunity to live the way the rest of us do,” said Jennifer Mathis, deputy legal director of the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law, which provided legal support for the lawsuit. “In the future people should not be steered to adult homes if they don’t want it and they don’t need it.”

The state is considering an appeal, according to a one-sentence statement from Gov. David A. Paterson’s office.

During a five-week trial last summer, the state argued that advocates had overestimated the demand for supported housing and underestimated the cost, making a quick transition for the bulk of the adult home population unfeasible. It is unclear whether any changes resulting from the lawsuit, which was limited to New York City, will be applied to adult homes elsewhere in the state.

Jeffrey J. Edelman, president of the New York Coalition for Quality Assisted Living, which represents 14 of the 28 large adult homes in the case, called the order irresponsible and deeply disturbing, and he urged the state to appeal. “The judge’s decision, entirely following the advocates’ agenda, could force thousands of the mentally ill from their stable lives in adult homes into independent living situations for which the majority are neither psychiatrically suited nor prepared,” Mr. Edelman said in a statement.

If it stands, the order will transform a system that took shape in the 1960s, when the government embraced adult homes as a way to care for people with mental illness after the rapid closing of large state-run hospitals. But as with the earlier institutions, the adult homes struggled under continued lax state regulation and poor private management.

More mental health liberation madness. Most of these people don't want to take meds (sometimes for legitimate reasons) and aren't going to get much out of occupational therapy. A lot of them are very anti-social. How often do you suppose they'd care to meet with their social worker if they didn't have to?

If NYC is anything like Denver, they can look forward to paying for a lot more EMT calls. :(

NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/nyregion/02mental.html?hpw)

stsinner
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
What a retarded idea.

Gingersnap
03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
More like crazy, if you ask me. :D

FlaGator
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
And they'll blame the release on the next conservative President just like they blamed it on Regan when Carter signed the bill releasing many mentally ill people. Carter did it but the libs told everyone that Regan kicked them out and made them homeless.

stsinner
03-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I often wonder how anyone thought it would be a good idea to stop containing mentally unstable people in insane asylums... Just how does this benefit society? So what this means is that all of those people in the many defunct insane asylums and those who would have been incarcerated there are out and among us..

AmPat
03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Judge Orders New York City to Move Mentally Ill Out of Large, Institutional Housing
to free up 537 beds for the DUmbest elected officials in the history of the USA.

Rockntractor
03-02-2010, 09:03 PM
They could always get jobs teaching social studies or something.

AmPat
03-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey, below the belt! *mad*

Rockntractor
03-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey, below the belt! *mad*

You don't teach social studies do you?

Bubba Dawg
03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, at least now they will be "free." :rolleyes:

AmPat
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
You don't teach social studies do you?

I used to. Grew a brain and left the public screwul life behind. (WOW, screwul and behind in the same sentence, these ought not happen).

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-01-2010, 01:16 AM
I used to. Grew a brain and left the public screwul life behind. (WOW, screwul and behind in the same sentence, these ought not happen).

Social studies isn't just taught in public school..Every private school I went to had a social studies course.

Sonnabend
04-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Social studies isn't just taught in public school..Every private school I went to had a social studies course.

Yes, but we were taught facts, not political opinions.

Big Guy
04-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I often wonder how anyone thought it would be a good idea to stop containing mentally unstable people in insane asylums... Just how does this benefit society? So what this means is that all of those people in the many defunct insane asylums and those who would have been incarcerated there are out and among us..

You would be suprised by how many of these guy's and Gal's are let out of prison every year. They just find another "easy victim" and come right back.

We have to let them out on the streets because there are not enough facilities to place them in and their familys won't take them in.

Novaheart
04-01-2010, 11:32 PM
And they'll blame the release on the next conservative President just like they blamed it on Regan when Carter signed the bill releasing many mentally ill people. Carter did it but the libs told everyone that Regan kicked them out and made them homeless.

Are you sure about your timeline there? I have always thought that the complaint about Reagan dumping mentally ill people on the street came from his term as governor of California rather than his presidential term.

Rockntractor
04-01-2010, 11:37 PM
What are they, nuts!:rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Yes, but we were taught facts, not political opinions.

Yeah, in the schools I went to ''social studies'' was simply a fancy term for ''history class.''

Gingersnap
04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah, in the schools I went to ''social studies'' was simply a fancy term for ''history class.''

That's too bad. History can be approached from several perspectives but "social studies" are always taught from the point of view of whatever the latest academic fad says.

For instance, social studies confirmed the racial biases and ethnic stereotypes that helped to fuel both eugenics in general and European antisemitism and the American "Negro issue" in particular during the 1930s.

It was in academic settings that these views took hold and were propagated.