PDA

View Full Version : 3.7 Magnitude Earthquake Felt in the Heartland (MO, TN, AR, IL, KY)

megimoo
03-02-2010, 07:45 PM
A preliminary earthquake report from the U.S. Geological Survey indicates a 3.7 magnitude earthquake occurred at 1:37 p.m. CT was centered near East Prairie, Missouri.

No major damage has been reported, although many people have said they felt the quake. Students and faculty evacuated East Prairie High & Jr. High Schools as a precaution, but no damage has been found at either school.

There are reports coming in to the USGS that the earthquake was felt as far away as Lexington, Kentucky and Indianapolis, Indiana.

The report indicates the quake was 5.1 miles below the surface of the earth.

"It was a relatively minor earthquake," said KFVS meteorologist John Dissauer. "The reason a lot of people probably felt this is because it was a relatively shallow earthquake. To compare it to the Chile earthquake that happened last weekend, that earthquake was almost 22 miles below the surface."

U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson released a statement shortly after the quake saying the earthquake underscores the need for individual preparedness and government readiness for a major event in the New Madrid Seismic Zone..

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12070797

SarasotaRepub
03-02-2010, 09:36 PM
SLW told me about this tonight, did not feel. :( :D

djones520
03-03-2010, 02:05 AM
My ass was passed out. Didn't feel a thing. Anything less then a 4 pointer though, I probably wouldn't even notice anyways.

marv
03-03-2010, 09:36 AM
The next New Madrid quake is just waiting..........

stsinner
03-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Earthquakes are pretty trendy these days... Everybody is having them..

SaintLouieWoman
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
The next New Madrid quake is just waiting..........

So far we've been lucky. There seem to be quite a few of them, but all small. I didn't feel anything.