PDA

View Full Version : Chile Quake Shifted Earth’s Axis and Made Days Shorter

PoliCon
03-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
By T. CHRISTOPHER

Did you hear this story? Well, its all over the place today and frankly it scared the hell out of me when I heard it. Yeah I said that – a shift in the Earth’s axis? Come on. That’s scary stuff. Its the sort of thing really crappy movies starring John Cusack are made of… Then I read this…
The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth’s rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

“Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth’s axis,” NASA officials said in a Monday update.

The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth’s figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds).

The Earth’s figure axis is not the same as its north-south axis, which it spins around once every day at a speed of about 1,000 mph (1,604 kph).

The figure axis is the axis around which the Earth’s mass is balanced. It is offset from the Earth’s north-south axis by about 33 feet (10 meters).

Strong earthquakes have altered Earth’s days and its axis in the past. The 9.1 Sumatran earthquake in 2004, which set off a deadly tsunami, should have shortened Earth’s days by 6.8 microseconds and shifted its axis by about 2.76 inches (7 cm, or 2.32 milliarcseconds).

AND THIS…

(Bloomberg) VIA Drudge– The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

CONTINUED (http://networkedblogs.com/M2gt)

patriot45
03-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
By T. CHRISTOPHER

Did you hear this story? Well, its all over the place today and frankly it scared the hell out of me when I heard it. Yeah I said that – a shift in the Earth’s axis? Come on. That’s scary stuff. Its the sort of thing really crappy movies starring John Cusack are made of… Then I read this…
The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth’s rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

“Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth’s axis,” NASA officials said in a Monday update.

The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth’s figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds).

The Earth’s figure axis is not the same as its north-south axis, which it spins around once every day at a speed of about 1,000 mph (1,604 kph).

The figure axis is the axis around which the Earth’s mass is balanced. It is offset from the Earth’s north-south axis by about 33 feet (10 meters).

Strong earthquakes have altered Earth’s days and its axis in the past. The 9.1 Sumatran earthquake in 2004, which set off a deadly tsunami, should have shortened Earth’s days by 6.8 microseconds and shifted its axis by about 2.76 inches (7 cm, or 2.32 milliarcseconds).

AND THIS…

(Bloomberg) VIA Drudge– The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

CONTINUED (http://networkedblogs.com/M2gt)

Its an easy fix, even the DUmp knows how to fix it! Just get everybody in the world to jump at the same time and viola!! Equalibrium is achieved! :D

Or it could make it worse, but if it will save 1 children its worth it!

PoliCon
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
And then - when they're done - they can each permanently stomp out their own carbon footprints by shooting themselves in the head. It's a huge sacrifice - but one I'm willing to let them make. :)

Kay
03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
PoliCon, I started writing out a huge long post on this last night, but since I'd only had about 3 hrs sleep the night before and I was kinda brain dead, I just erased it all. I'm not in much better shape tonight, but did get about 5 hrs of sleep last night, so I will say I'm skeerd with you.

This is what I think will happen to us on around about 12-21-2012. A major shift of the earth's axis. The earth's core is like a big ball of molten, and the crust floats on top of it. If the axis were to shift suddenly the center will move faster than the floating crust, causing it to wreak havoic on us till it all settles back in place.

We are doomed. DOOMED I SAY! :eek:

patriot45
03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
PoliCon, I started writing out a huge long post on this last night, but since I'd only had about 3 hrs sleep the night before and I was kinda brain dead, I just erased it all. I'm not in much better shape tonight, but did get about 5 hrs of sleep last night, so I will say I'm skeerd with you.

This is what I think will happen to us on around about 12-21-2012. A major shift of the earth's axis. The earth's core is like a big ball of molten, and the crust floats on top of it. If the axis were to shift suddenly the center will move faster than the floating crust, causing it to wreak havoic on us till it all settles back in place.

We are doomed. DOOMED I SAY! :eek:

At Midnight, Everyone Jump!

That'll fix it so you can sleep again! :D

PoliCon
03-03-2010, 10:27 PM
At Midnight, Everyone Jump!

That'll fix it so you can sleep again! :D

wait - what if at midnight we all shoot ourselves in the heads and fall plop to the ground . . . that would fix the earth and global warming at the same time! :D We need to get the word out to the DU about this plan! :D

patriot45
03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
wait - what if at midnight we all shoot ourselves in the heads and fall plop to the ground . . . that would fix the earth and global warming at the same time! :D We need to get the word out to the DU about this plan! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI

ColonialMarine0431
03-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Meanwhile...

6.4-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Taiwan

TAIPEI, Taiwan — A powerful 6.4-magnitude earthquake rocked southern Taiwan on Thursday morning causing buildings to sway hundreds of miles to the north. Local news reports said at least one person was injured.

The quake was centered in the county of Kaohsiung, and struck at a depth of about 3.1 miles. Kaohsiung is about 249 miles south of the capital Taipei.

FULL STORY (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587930,00.html?test=latestnews)

This is all just a warm up for 12/21/2012.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/ColonialMarine/11111%20Temporary/Tsunami/Tsunami_Madrid.jpg

/tin foil hat

megimoo
03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Its an easy fix, even the DUmp knows how to fix it! Just get everybody in the world to jump at the same time and viola!! Equalibrium is achieved! :D

Or it could make it worse, but if it will save 1 children its worth it!
we're talking about 10 to 12 microseconds time loss/gain .
That's faster than a fly's wings can beat so in the greater
scheme of things it means absolutely nothing.
Except to someone keeping track of time with an atomic clock.

Kay
03-04-2010, 01:42 AM
So this time loss .... it's all relative you say?
Sounds like a good theory.
Theory of relativity we could call it.

NJCardFan
03-04-2010, 06:29 AM
We're talking milliseconds here, peeps. Meaning we're lose 1 second a day about what, every thousand years?

FlaGator
03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Great... that means I get a little less sleep.:mad:

PoliCon
03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
We're talking milliseconds here, peeps. Meaning we're lose 1 second a day about what, every thousand years?

It's the end of the world I TELL YA! :eek:

NJCardFan
03-04-2010, 12:15 PM
It's the end of the world I TELL YA! :eek:
I feel fine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmxyj6iInMc&feature=fvst

JBG
03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
So this time loss .... it's all relative you say?
Sounds like a good theory.
Theory of relativity we could call it.
Sounds interesting.

The question is why the two places I can find this, including this blog, are both oriented towards conservative views.