PDA

View Full Version : Muslim woman barred from flight after refusing body scan

megimoo
03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Muslim woman barred from flight after refusing body scan

A Muslim woman is thought to have become the first passenger to be stopped from boarding a flight after refusing to go through a full body scanner for religious reasons. The passenger was at Manchester Airport for a flight to Islamabad when she was selected at random to pass through the security screen. She was warned she would not be allowed to board the Pakistan International Airlines flight if she did not comply with the request but she decided to forfeit her ticket. Her female travelling companion also left the airport after she cited ''medical reasons'' for not wanting to...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7358967/Muslim-woman-barred-from-flight-after-refusing-body-scan.html

stsinner
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Kudos to the security personnel...

AmPat
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Probable Cause???

She could always swim. The Channel would be difficult with her chioce of swimwear though.

noonwitch
03-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Are the body scanners the same thing as the air puffers? The photo on the link shows a pretty revealing image of the person being scanned.

I'm not defending the woman, though. Flying isn't a right, and if you want to get on a plane, you have to follow the airline's procedures. But the air puffers are allegedly pretty effective and if they don't show an image of the person being scanned, they would be a suitable alternative in airports where female modesty is an issue on a regular basis. I'm just thinking that muslims aren't the only group out their that have the female modesty thing going, and it's going to come up again.

AmPat
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
If the population is big enough of these air-puffer deniers, the shipping industry will make a comeback. Once safely onshore, they can thumb a ride on the nearest caravan to their favorite desert wasteland.

Gingersnap
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Are the body scanners the same thing as the air puffers? The photo on the link shows a pretty revealing image of the person being scanned.

The scanners are very revealing (though they can't detect internal threats). I wouldn't want to go through one, either.

But that's the world we live thanks to some members of the religion of peace. :(

linda22003
03-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, that's the breaks. I have no problem with scanners, revealing or not (that's going to be a lot harder on the people looking at the image than it will be on me). Coming back from Paris, I had the most thorough body patdown I've ever had, and I was okay with that too. There was a Muslim woman on the flight in a full length dress (not burka) with headscarf (face revealed), and she went through it too.

Speedy
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Good!

noonwitch
03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, that's the breaks. I have no problem with scanners, revealing or not (that's going to be a lot harder on the people looking at the image than it will be on me). Coming back from Paris, I had the most thorough body patdown I've ever had, and I was okay with that too. There was a Muslim woman on the flight in a full length dress (not burka) with headscarf (face revealed), and she went through it too.

Most of the older muslim women around here wear a full-length dress and the hijab (the scarf). The young woman who works the take-out counter at my favorite middle-eastern restaurant wears comfortable, western clothes like pants and blouses, along with the hijab. I'm pretty sure she's second-generation and was either born here, or her family came here when she was really young.

The people who work in that restaurant are a mixed bunch, not all are of middle eastern descent and not all are muslims. There is a hostess who wears totally western clothing and never covers her hair. There is a waitress who is blond and blue-eyed. That's one of the reasons I choose to eat there instead of some of the other ME places around town-the owners hire from the community, not just from their families.

Sonnabend
03-04-2010, 02:39 AM
A Muslim woman is thought to have become the first passenger to be stopped from boarding a flight after refusing to go through a full body scanner for religious reasons

Tough break lady. The security is there for a reason.

You dont like it? Start swimming.

Bitch.:mad:

NJCardFan
03-04-2010, 06:47 AM
The scanners are very revealing (though they can't detect internal threats). I wouldn't want to go through one, either.

But that's the world we live thanks to some members of the religion of peace. :(

That's the irony of it, isn't it? I wouldn't hesitate for a millisecond(wow, 2nd time I used that word today) to let her know that if it weren't for Islamic fundamentalists she wouldn't have had to go through the machine in the first place. Muslims are the last people who should be bitching about this.

Wei Wu Wei
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Tough break lady. The security is there for a reason.

You dont like it? Start swimming.

Bitch.:mad:

Why you mad?

stsinner
03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Why you mad?

He's always on the verge of a hot-headed stroke over silly issues that have nothing to do with him.. Just ignore that part of his posts and laugh at the rest...

PoliCon
03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I'd like to point out that the safest airline their is does not use the body scanners - they profile and ask questions. How amazing is that?

AmPat
03-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I'd like to point out that the safest airline their is does not use the body scanners - they profile and ask questions. How amazing is that?

All muslims should be forced to fly on the Israeli airline. ;)

PoliCon
03-05-2010, 12:09 AM

it would be more practical for the whole industry to adopt their standards. But I like how you think :D

Rockntractor
03-05-2010, 12:14 AM

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/274291_26063_e75bc5fd85_p.jpg?t=1267766018

AmPat
03-05-2010, 12:26 AM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/274291_26063_e75bc5fd85_p.jpg?t=1267766018
Biggest fart ever?