PDA

View Full Version : I was put in the back of a police car and humiliated for walking down the road

Carol
03-05-2010, 12:32 AM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7847150)

Clintonista2 (1000+ posts)
Original message
I was put in the back of a police car and humiliated for walking down the road

So I'm not usually one to complain about the police, but I've just experienced firsthand what many on DU have attested to.

I finished work at 10:30 PM and took my usual bus home. I have to get off and transfer busses at one point, however, tonight I was distracted texting my friend and missed my stop. I realized my mistake about 2 minutes later and rang the bell to get off. The bus travelled about 1 mile down a deserted road with no lights, trees on both sides, etc before stopping at the next stop. So I get off and start walking the 1m back.

At this point, I notice flashing lights and a siren beeps, as a police car pulls up beside me. An officer gets out, and his very first sentence is "hello sir do you have any weapons on you?" I'm 22 years old, have never dealt with the police in my life, and all that was going through my mind at this point were the various DU videos I've watched of police tasering/assaulting people for no reason, so I'm scared shitless. I tell him no, and then he asks me to spread my arms and legs out so he can frisk me. After determining that I have no weapons on me, he asks to see my ID, and I give him my student card. He asks for my address and birthday, and then talks in his radio to get a check on my info, while asking me if I've ever been convicted of a criminal charge, which I haven't.

So he asks me to get get in the back of his car, and then shuts the door and stands outside of the car talking in his radio and reading my ID. Once he determines that I have no criminal history he drives me back to the bus station. On the way, he lets me know that he's only letting me off with "a warning"... "this time." Apparently the road I was walking on was for "buses only" (even though it had a sidewalk with a curb), and somehow I was supposed to know that. He then stops the car right in front of the bus stop, where a crowd of people are watching, and comes around to let me out. I had to wait with those people for 20 minutes afterwards while waiting for the bus... it was the 20 most humiliating minutes of my life.

Anyways, that was my day DU, how was yours?Clintonista2 is humiliated very easily it seems. Terrified too of something that happens 1 in a couple of million times.(police violence, even less often with it being non provoked) If he/she cared so much why didn't he/she just say rather loudly, "Thank you officer for the ride back to the bus stop. That road was pretty dark." Or simply decide he/she didn't care what 20 strangers thought of him/her? ..... If of course, this is a true story......

EFerrari Donating Member (1000+ posts)

Response to Original message
1. That's effing frightful. Are you all right?

Clintonista2 (1000+ posts)

Response to Reply #1
4. yes actually, it actually made me feel better when I phoned my best friend afterwards

shaking and almost in tears to tell him what happened... and his response was to burst out laughing LOL.
Here there is a freebe.

gateley Donating Member (1000+ posts)
5. The other day I was put in the back of a police car, handcuffed (after being

frisked) for driving with a suspended license! I'm 56 years old, have white hair, and didn't even know about the suspension. Like you, this took place in front of several people and I FELT like a criminal!
And another.

Art_from_Ark (1000+ posts)
8. That's really screwed up

Unless it's an expressway, you should have the right to walk along any public road, especially on a sidewalk!

That reminds me of the time some cop stopped me in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and told me I couldn't ride my bicycle on the city streets! And I was riding in a freaking bicycle lane at the time!

JackintheGreen Donating Member (1000+ posts)
10. That is horrible, an egregious abuse of his power,

and it sounds like a bored cop looking for kicks but:

You got out of the back of police car in front of a crowd of people at a bus stop. Back of the car means criminal, but getting let out means that HE was wrong. You're looking at it the wrong way. You had a cop chauffeur your bad ass to the bus stop, man! You shoulda been strutting something fierce!And then there is the usual DU response.

arcadian Donating Member (1000+ posts)
17. Fucking pigs

ChicagoSuz219 Donating Member (1000+ posts)

20. His first question should have been...

"Son, are you okay?"

I'm sorry you went thru that. Sounds scary.

djones520
03-05-2010, 12:36 AM
While I think Clintonista is way over blowing this, I do have to wonder why a Police Officer is just stopping random people walking down the street, frisking them, and putting them in his car.

I haven't started my Criminal Justice degree yet, but I doubt there was any probable cause in this scenario.

SarasotaRepub
03-05-2010, 07:54 AM
While I think Clintonista is way over blowing this, I do have to wonder why a Police Officer is just stopping random people walking down the street, frisking them, and putting them in his car.

I haven't started my Criminal Justice degree yet, but I doubt there was any probable cause in this scenario.

I agree about the probable cause although you never know what the local sitrep might be. Maybe there had been an attack on someone??? Hey, I dunno, just guessing.

And of course, there is the DU factor. Did this really even happen or is someone looking for some cheap street cred points...:D

noonwitch
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM

If this is true, and a similar thing happened to me, I'd be pretty pissed off afterwards. I would have been cooperative and all with the cop, but I would have had one of my lawyer friends call his supervisor the next day.

It's more likely, as a woman, that once the cop determined I was unarmed, he would have let me sit in the front of the cop car, though, while he ran my info through the system.

FDK
03-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Stop ripping on the DUmmie. This is the first bouncy we've seen with a cop in it in some time. And it's got a few "So"s in it too

Two bongs.

ralph wiggum
03-05-2010, 11:22 AM
gateley Donating Member (1000+ posts)
5. The other day I was put in the back of a police car, handcuffed (after being

frisked) for driving with a suspended license! I'm 56 years old, have white hair, and didn't even know about the suspension. Like you, this took place in front of several people and I FELT like a criminal!

Ignorance is no excuse, even for a DUmmy.

ralph wiggum
03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Stop ripping on the DUmmie. This is the first bouncy we've seen with a cop in it in some time. And it's got a few "So"s in it too

Two bongs.

True, good point. No bushes, though. :(

NJCardFan
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Two bongs.

Including the obligatory "So" to start the story. This story gets 5 on the bullshit meter.

OK, time to tear this apart:

The bus travelled about 1 mile down a deserted road with no lights, trees on both sides, etc before stopping at the next stop.
Um, why is a bus driving down deserted roads? And if the road is deserted, why would it have a bus stop? This doesn't sound like Greyhound so it's safe to assume it's a commuter bus.

At this point, I notice flashing lights and a siren beeps, as a police car pulls up beside me. An officer gets out, and his very first sentence is "hello sir do you have any weapons on you?"
Wow, not only do we have buses driving down deserted roads, we have police patrolling them as well. Be that as it may, you're a cop driving down a deserted road and you see a random person walking this deserted road complete with no lights. Chances are this person is out of place or in need of some assistance. Also, no cop would blurt out "do you have any weapons on you". I'm a cop(corrections officer but have also been a street cop), and have some perspective on this.

DU videos I've watched of police tasering/assaulting people for no reason,
Yeah, cops just go around tazing people for no reason.:rolleyes:

I tell him no, and then he asks me to spread my arms and legs out so he can frisk me. After determining that I have no weapons on me, he asks to see my ID, and I give him my student card. He asks for my address and birthday, and then talks in his radio to get a check on my info, while asking me if I've ever been convicted of a criminal charge, which I haven't.
Bullshit. For starters, a cop could care less your birthday. It's not even a standard question. However, I'm wondering if this isn't an area that has a curfew. The OP doesn't give where they are so we have no way of knowing. If this is a place that has a curfew, then stopping this kid is starting to make sense. I'm trying to figure out why he gave his student card and not a drivers license.

So he asks me to get get in the back of his car, and then shuts the door and stands outside of the car talking in his radio and reading my ID. Once he determines that I have no criminal history he drives me back to the bus station.
This is common practice. It's done for safety. As for checking him out, read this carefully. A random person walking down a deserted road in an area that might have a curfew(again, we don't know) and when prompted for an ID, he gives a student ID, which is no proof of identification, and this person is wondering why the cop is suspicious.

On the way, he lets me know that he's only letting me off with "a warning"... "this time." Apparently the road I was walking on was for "buses only" (even though it had a sidewalk with a curb), and somehow I was supposed to know that.
OK, this is now complete bullshit. If this was a buses only road, why did the bus driver drop them off? This is the worst made up story I've ever heard. And to finish it off, they tell how the cop drove them back to the bus stop in front of a lot of people. So, it's none of their business. Tell them the cop saw you walking down this deserted road and asked if you were OK and gave you a lift, which is more than likely the case.

Apache
03-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Two bongs.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice the "so".....BOUNCY :p

AmPat
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
The bus travelled about 1 mile down a deserted road with no lights, trees on both sides, etc before stopping at the next stop. So I get off and start walking the 1m back.Wow! I too would have gotten off and walked. That was really dangerous.

Cliffordj
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm trying to figure out why he gave his student card and not a drivers license.

This is common practice. It's done for safety. As for checking him out, read this carefully. A random person walking down a deserted road in an area that might have a curfew(again, we don't know) and when prompted for an ID, he gives a student ID, which is no proof of identification, and this person is wondering why the cop is suspicious.

A possible explanation for not giving a drivers license was that they just did not have one.

You would know better than I but I don't believe that there is a law that requires people to carry a valid form of ID while in public, is this the case?

To make myself absolutely clear I do not believe the story as stated, I just don't like to see our side jump to conclusions with few if any facts in the same manner that the DUmies do.

NJCardFan
03-05-2010, 11:44 PM
A possible explanation for not giving a drivers license was that they just did not have one.

You would know better than I but I don't believe that there is a law that requires people to carry a valid form of ID while in public, is this the case?

To make myself absolutely clear I do not believe the story as stated, I just don't like to see our side jump to conclusions with few if any facts in the same manner that the DUmies do.
There is actually no law stating you must have ID on you at all times but who doesn't? For nothing else if, God forbid, something should happen, would be nice to know who you are. And who doesn't have a DL? I'm still trying to find a law that bars you from walking down a public road.

djones520
03-05-2010, 11:54 PM
There is actually no law stating you must have ID on you at all times but who doesn't? For nothing else if, God forbid, something should happen, would be nice to know who you are. And who doesn't have a DL? I'm still trying to find a law that bars you from walking down a public road.

Plenty of people don't. I've worked with a ton of people in the military who don't have one. It's a lot more frequent if you grew up and live in a big city. When public transportation is easier to deal with then the hassle of parking fees, exhorbitant registration fees, and all that crap, a lot of people don't even bother.

Sonnabend
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
However, I'm wondering if this isn't an area that has a curfew

Oh? You have places that tell their citizens to stay inside or else after a certain hour? Is that Constitutional?

NJCardFan
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Oh? You have places that tell their citizens to stay inside or else after a certain hour? Is that Constitutional?

We you born an asshole or did you work at it your whole life? There are places, genius, that have curfew's for anyone under 18 for some reason or another (http://www.citymayors.com/society/usa-youth-curfews.html). This person only had a student ID on them so it's safe to assume they look young. Do a little research before you spout off like the liberal douche you are.

Carol
03-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Some places have a curfew for kids under 18 (sometimes different times for those under 16 and those 16 and older) if they ARE NOT with parents. It's to cut down on mischief and worse.

Carol
03-06-2010, 12:28 PM
We you born an asshole or did you work at it your whole life? There are places, genius, that have curfew's for anyone under 18 for some reason or another. Do a little research before you spout of like the liberal douche you are.Sonna is not from the US. How would he know, and what difference does it make if he asks an easy to answer question or tries to find it on the internet?

NJCardFan
03-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Sonna is not from the US. How would he know, and what difference does it make if he asks an easy to answer question or tries to find it on the internet?

It was the tone I was responding to not the question.