PDA

View Full Version : Tyson drops Labor Day holiday for Eid al-Fitr

nightflight
08-02-2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.t-g.com/story/1449487.html

Workers at Tyson Foods' poultry processing plant in Shelbyville will no longer have a paid day off on Labor Day, but will instead take the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr in the fall.

A recent press release from the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU) stated that a new contract at the Shelbyville facility "implements a new holiday to accommodate the ... Muslim workers at the plant."

The RWDSU stated that "the five-year contract creates an additional paid holiday, Iidal Fitil, a Muslim holiday that occurs toward the end of Ramadan."

JB
08-02-2008, 05:05 PM
The festival "is distinguished by the performance of communal prayer (salat) at daybreak on its first day. It is a time of official receptions and private visits, when friends greet one another, presents are given, new clothes are worn, and the graves of relatives are visited," the encyclopedia said.They needed another day off for that? I always called it Christmas.

No matter. I only buy Perdue.

Cold Warrior
08-02-2008, 05:10 PM
"The date for this holiday (Eid al-Fitr) is not the same each year," Mickelson said. "however, it is in the early fall."

What an idiot! It's in the early fall right now, but the Muslim calendar rotates backwards through the Western calendar. When I first went to Saudi in 1989, Eid was in the spring.

LibraryLady
08-02-2008, 05:13 PM
This year it is October 1st.

He says it's not always the same.

Cold Warrior
08-02-2008, 05:17 PM
This year it is October 1st.

He says it's not always the same.

I understand that (in fact I quoted that). However, the construction of his sentence ("however, it is in the early fall") implies that it's always in the early fall and simply falls on different days. However, that's not the case. In 6-7 years, it will be in mid-summer and in another 6-7 in the spring.

lacarnut
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Companies that cater to this kind of crap will lose me as a customer.

Odysseus
08-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Companies that cater to this kind of crap will lose me as a customer.

Tyson had already lost me by being Bill Clinton's first political patron. If it wasn't for him, we'd have never heard of Bubba and his harpy.

marinejcksn
08-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Yet another reason to eat Bison
Tastes better, less fat more protein.:cool:

LibraryLady
08-03-2008, 11:55 AM
waiting for a comments form Sarasota Republican............

Odysseus
08-03-2008, 12:11 PM
waiting for a comments form Sarasota Republican............

Wait a minute, this is Shelbyville! The next town over is Springfield. All we have to do is wait until Ned Flanders and the Rev. Lovejoy take this up. The new crusade has begun!!!!

marinejcksn
08-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Wait a minute, this is Shelbyville! The next town over is Springfield. All we have to do is wait until Ned Flanders and the Rev. Lovejoy take this up. The new crusade has begun!!!!

Reverand Lovejoy would lay the smackdown. Okily Dokily!:D

Eyelids
08-04-2008, 02:32 AM
This is no different than closing the plant for Christmas.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 03:54 AM
http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/WireHeadlines/2008/07/29/tyson-foods-inc-earnings-plunge-85.php
By: Associated Press - Texarkana Gazette - Published: 07/29/2008

Tyson shares dropped 93 cents, or almost 6 percent, to $15.30 on Monday.

Tyson is laying off people right and left.

Gingersnap
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
This is no different than closing the plant for Christmas.

Christmas is a Federal holiday, as is Labor Day. Easter is not a Federal holiday.

I'd say there's a pretty big practical difference. Numerous atheists, pagans, and so on celebrate the purely secular aspects of Christmas. In this culture, there are no purely secular activities associated with Eid.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 09:37 AM
It is not a NEW paid holiday but a substitution.

"Based on the contract, the other paid holidays include: The Team Member's birthday, New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day,"

When I worked for the state of Arkansas we had the option of taking MLK day or adding it to the Christmas vacation (paid).

linda22003
08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Could be tricky, since you never know when Eid will be until the night before.

hampshirebrit
08-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Could be tricky, since you never know when Eid will be until the night before.

Absolutely true ... some Saudi mullah gets to decide when the new moon is up (even though there's solar charting that gives the right time of the event to the second.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Found an interesting thing while I was looking at Tyson:

Tyson Foods and Syntroleum Corp. plans to build and fund a renewable synthetic fuels facility in Geismar, LA. The plant will convert low grade, inedible fats and greases into renewable transportation fuels for the military and civilian markets. The project budget is $138 million. Construction is expected to begin in October, and mechanical completion of the plant is expected by year-end 2009.

Near Baton Rouge

SaintLouieWoman
08-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Tyson had already lost me by being Bill Clinton's first political patron. If it wasn't for him, we'd have never heard of Bubba and his harpy.

Bingo, why I rarely buy anything from Tyson. Now there's another reason. I'm curious how many Muslim workers they have down in those Arkansas plants. :confused:

TandT
08-05-2008, 10:15 AM
they are in the South ... should be observing Confederate Memorial Day ... (10 May for the Carolinas)

and:
Alabama - Fourth Monday in April
Arkansas - January 19
Florida - April 26
Georgia - April 26
Kentucky - June 3
Louisiana - June 3
Maryland - First Saturday in June
Mississippi - Last Monday in April
North Carolina May 10
Pennsylvania - Second Saturday in May
South Carolina May 10
Tennessee - June 3
Texas - April 26th.
Virginia - Last Monday in May

~~~link~~~ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Memorial_Day)

LibraryLady
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Bingo, why I rarely buy anything from Tyson. Now there's another reason. I'm curious how many Muslim workers they have down in those Arkansas plants. :confused:

I think this was just the Tennessee plants. In Arkansas, they would probably just take them out for a hunting trip....

Of the 1,200 people employed at the Tyson plant in Shelbyville, 1,000 of them will work Labor Day.

Union workers overwhelmingly approved a new contract which requires union employees to work Labor Day in exchange for a Muslim holiday, Eid Al-Fitr, in October.

Hundreds of the plant's employees are Muslim and the Union had negotiated and asked for the contract change.

Tyson said the 200 or so non-union workers will still have Labor Day off.

http://www.wkrn.com/global/story.asp?s=8775921

I am getting so many different numbers.

Tyson officials said that approximately 250 of the plant's 1,200 employees are Muslim Somalis.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397645,00.html

Union leaders say implementing the holiday was important for the nearly 700 Muslims, many of them Somalis, who work at the plant that employs a total of 1,200 people.

The change, which does not affect the company's 118 other plants, exchanges Labor Day for the Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan.

LibraryLady
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Sara, looks like you can have your wings again:

Labor Day Reinstated as Paid Holiday at Shelbyville, TN, Plant; Tyson Foods Requested Change from Union (http://www.tyson.com/Corporate/PressRoom/ViewArticle.aspx?id=3021)

Springdale, Arkansas – August 8, 2008 - Tyson Foods, Inc. announced today it has reached a new agreement with the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU), an American union, reinstating Labor Day as one of the designated paid holidays under the contract for covered employees in the Shelbyville, Tennessee, plant.

Tyson made this request on behalf of its Shelbyville plant employees, some of whom had expressed concern about the new contract provisions relative to paid holidays. In an effort to be responsive, Tyson asked the union to reopen the contract to address the holiday issue, and the union agreed to do so. The union membership voted overwhelmingly Thursday to reinstate Labor Day as one of the plant’s paid holidays, while keeping Eid al-Fitr as an additional paid holiday for this year only. This means that in 2008 only, Shelbyville employees will have nine paid holidays.

For the remainder of the five-year contract period, the eight paid holidays will include: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and a Personal Holiday, which could either be the employee’s birthday, Eid al-Fitr or another day requested and approved by their supervisor.

This issue concerns only the plant at Shelbyville, Tennessee. Labor Day has always been celebrated, and continues to be, at the other 118 Tyson plants across the country.

The Shelbyville complex employs approximately 1,200 people. Approximately 1,000 workers are covered by the RWDSU union agreement at that location.

There had been a lot of complaints:

Muslim Holiday at Tyson Plant Creates Furor (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/us/06muslim.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin)

The union that represents workers at a Tyson Foods poultry plant in Tennessee has negotiated a contract that substitutes a Muslim holiday for Labor Day as one of the eight paid holidays at the plant.

The provision, which was proposed by the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union, has delighted the plant’s Somali workers, who account for hundreds of its 1,200 employees. But it has infuriated many outsiders, leading some to denounce Tyson and the union alike.

nightflight
08-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I got the same e-mail just now.

Power to the chicken eaters!