PDA

View Full Version : Obama backs away from McCain's debate challenge

LibraryLady
08-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Zer-0 is such a chicken without his teleprompter.

WASHINGTON - Democratic candidate Barack Obama on Saturday backed away from rival John McCain's challenge for a series of joint appearances, agreeing only to the standard three debates in the fall.
ADVERTISEMENT

In May, when a McCain adviser proposed a series of pre-convention appearances at town hall meetings, Obama said, "I think that's a great idea." In summer stumping on the campaign trail, McCain has often noted that Obama had not followed through and joined him in any events.

On Saturday, in a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said the short period between the last political convention and the first proposed debate made it likely that the commission-sponsored debates would be the only ones.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080802/ap_on_el_pr/presidential_debates;_ylt=Ao2Tt5LY9JdrAM8sVk.JvY2s 0NUE

Doc Savage
08-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Wow, Obama is not willing to go one on one with McCain, never mind conservative questions. What a shock. Some voting group should sponsor a debate, invite both candidates, have card board cut outs of whichever one does not show up.

If the guy wants to be President, he should be willing to go from house to house with McCain if that is what it takes to get elected.

Zeus
08-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Wow, Obama is not willing to go one on one with McCain, never mind conservative questions. What a shock. Some voting group should sponsor a debate, invite both candidates, have card board cut outs of whichever one does not show up.

If the guy wants to be President, he should be willing to go from house to house with McCain if that is what it takes to get elected.

Didn't Jack lemon & James Garner do that in a movie ? :p

LibraryLady
08-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Didn't Jack lemon & James Garner do that in a movie ? :p

My Fellow Americans

They used to run the country. Now they're running for their lives! Two on-the-lam former Presidents of the United States. Framed in a scandal by the current President and pursued by armed agents, the two squabbling political foes plunge into a desperately frantic search for the evidence that will establish their innocence. As the scramble through the real America, they get an unexpected crash course in how their policies affected the citizens.

LibraryLady
08-02-2008, 06:10 PM
This story infuriated me:

Obama Won’t Commit to Event at Military Base

A coalition of military groups is planning a nationally televised town-hall-style meeting with the presidential candidates near Fort Hood, Tex., the largest active-duty military installation in the country. But so far, only Senator John McCain of Arizona, the presumptive Republican nominee, has agreed to attend.

CBS has agreed to broadcast the meeting live from 9 to 11 p.m. Eastern time on Monday, Aug. 11. The candidates would face questions directly from an audience of 6,000 people, made up of veterans, service members and military families from the base.

Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, the presumptive Democratic nominee, has not agreed to participate.

“While we unfortunately had a previously scheduled commitment on the date proposed, Senator Obama looks forward to continuing the dialogue he’s been having throughout the country with veterans on how we can better serve our men and women in uniform as they serve us.”

Carissa Picard, managing director of the Fort Hood Presidential Town Hall Consortium, said she had suggested Aug. 11 and asked the campaign to suggest other dates if that was not convenient, but after several conversations she had not been able to work anything out.

“I’m having extreme difficulty getting the Obama campaign to commit to this event, and we do not understand why,” said Ms. Picard, whose husband is deployed in Iraq. “We made it very clear to them that if they would commit to the event, we would work with them on dates.”

Elspeth
08-02-2008, 06:41 PM
This all is so typical. Obama is completely scripted and has no ability to think on his feet. When required to actually improvise, he does a lot of "ahhh" and "ummm."

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 10:33 PM
This all is so typical. Obama is completely scripted and has no ability to think on his feet. When required to actually improvise, he does a lot of "ahhh" and "ummm."

The press keeps saying he's a smooth talker.......Have they LISTENED???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47sO1TCVmE

Not hard to see why he is afraid of a McCain Town Hall meeting

SaintLouieWoman
08-04-2008, 11:15 PM
The press keeps saying he's a smooth talker.......Have they LISTENED???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47sO1TCVmE

Not hard to see why he is afraid of a McCain Town Hall meeting

He is a smooth talker---he just doesn't say anything worthwhile. He's all form, no substance.

InspiredHome
08-04-2008, 11:15 PM
My Fellow Americans

I LOVE that movie!

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 03:25 AM
I wouldn't call a military base a neutral venue when your opponent is a fricking war hero...

Get a grip, and has this presidential race really degraded to calling the other "chicken"? If we're gonna act like 7 year olds we should just settle it all on a quick game of tag.

Zeus
08-05-2008, 06:40 AM
I wouldn't call a military base a neutral venue when your opponent is a fricking war hero...

Get a grip, and has this presidential race really degraded to calling the other "chicken"? If we're gonna act like 7 year olds we should just settle it all on a quick game of tag.

But of course. Also the CinC doesn't answer to the military, the Military answers to the CinC. Those damn cry babies need to grow up,hell next thing you know those military personnel overseas will want their votes counted. :rolleyes:

Sonnabend
08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't call a military base a neutral venue when your opponent is a fricking war hero...If he cant stand the heat, he better get out of the kitchen.The President is CinC, and the sooner he mans up and realises that, the better.

If he sends them into battle, he will be expected to lead...and to turn up and visit them as President Bush has...and in order to do that, he has to get to know them. If he cant hack it in front of a few veterans, then he is unfit to command.

He and John Kerry share that in common..neither one is capable of leading a five year old to the toilet, both of them are so full of it, they squeak turning corners.

Get a grip, and has this presidential race really degraded to calling the other "chicken"?2000 and 2004 we heard much worse. From the Democrats. So quit whining.

If we're gonna act like 7 year olds we should just settle it all on a quick game of tag.McCain is acting like an adult and as a Presidential candidate should,Obama is showing himself to be a rank coward.

PB2012
08-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Obama better have some great material written up for him at the Convention. If he can't duke it out with his rival, how in the hell are we supposed to expect him to lead our country.

Obama, you can read the talk. But you cant walk the walk.
Take your eyes off the teleprompter and grow a pair.

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 03:28 PM
If he cant stand the heat, he better get out of the kitchen.The President is CinC, and the sooner he mans up and realises that, the better.

If he sends them into battle, he will be expected to lead...and to turn up and visit them as President Bush has...and in order to do that, he has to get to know them. If he cant hack it in front of a few veterans, then he is unfit to command.

He and John Kerry share that in common..neither one is capable of leading a five year old to the toilet, both of them are so full of it, they squeak turning corners.
Since when is Barack Obama President of the USA? Last I checked he is a candidate, and being a candidate his first job is to get elected. Do you have elections in Australia? Or is the old Prison Colony still being ruled by the warden?

2000 and 2004 we heard much worse. From the Democrats. So quit whining.
So instead of trying to be above it you'll just stoop down? Haha Sonnabend, always dredging the very bottom. Very typical of cowardly swine who have no place in intelligent discussion.

McCain is acting like an adult and as a Presidential candidate should,Obama is showing himself to be a rank coward.
How should a presidential candidate act? (note: the answer "with honor" is subjective and, quite frankly, wrong. Think twice before using it). How is McCain acting by comparing Barack Obama to Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton?

LibraryLady
08-05-2008, 03:35 PM
How is Zer-0 acting? He said it FIRST!

"Andy Warhol said we all get our 15 minutes of fame," says Barack Obama. "I've already had an hour and a half. I mean, I'm so overexposed, I'm making Paris Hilton look like a recluse."

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Obama/BarackHilton.jpg

Rebel Yell
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM

My money would be on Obama in a game of tag. He's alot younger, and hasn't been beaten and tortured for years of his life. Plus, if somehow McCain did win, the Obama supporters would say tag is a racist game and they'd have to have to go double or nothing in a watermelon eating contest.

Before you start screaming racist, you should check the sigline. In my world, you've lost that right.

PB2012
08-05-2008, 03:45 PM
bottom. Very typical of cowardly swine who have no place in intelligent discussion.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

LibraryLady
08-05-2008, 04:02 PM
A coalition of military groups is planning a nationally televised town-hall-style meeting with the presidential candidates near Fort Hood, Tex., the largest active-duty military installation in the country. But so far, only Senator John McCain of Arizona, the presumptive Republican nominee, has agreed to attend.

CBS has agreed to broadcast the meeting live from 9 to 11 p.m. Eastern time on Monday, Aug. 11. The candidates would face questions directly from an audience of 6,000 people, made up of veterans, service members and military families from the base.

“While we unfortunately had a previously scheduled commitment on the date proposed, Senator Obama looks forward to continuing the dialogue he’s been having throughout the country with veterans on how we can better serve our men and women in uniform as they serve us.”

The commitment?

What's he doing? Vacation in Hawaii August 8-15, with an "astounding" fundraiser on the 12th which is supposed to raise $500,000.

Did he learn nothing in Germany? Could he send a clearer signal to the troops about what he thinks about them?

Eyelids
08-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Sonnabend has no response, typical.

LibraryLady
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Sonnabend has no response, typical.

Until you gain a working knowledge of your own government, you have no business challenging anyone else.

Zer-0 compared himself to Paris Hilton 4 years ago and he's flying around with "President" written on his chair.

What a presumptuous ass he is.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Obama/image4317826g.jpg

Sonnabend
08-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Sonnabend has no response, typical.Sonnabend was at work. Try it sometime.

Since when is Barack Obama President of the USA? Last I checked he is a candidate, and being a candidate his first job is to get elected. Do you have elections in Australia? Or is the old Prison Colony still being ruled by the warden?Y'know, it's kinda getting old , educating you. But, here. Enjoy.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3614090

In 1718, the British Parliament passed the Transportation Act, under which England began sending its imprisoned convicts to be sold as indentured servants in the American colonies. While the law provoked outrage among many colonists -- Benjamin Franklin equated it to packing up North American rattlesnakes and sending them all to England -- the influx of ex-convicts provided cheap and immediate labor for many planters and merchants.

After 1718, approximately 60,000 convicts, dubbed "the King's passengers," were sent from England to America. Ninety percent of them stayed in Maryland and Virginia. Although some returned to England once their servitude was over, many remained and began their new lives in the colonies.

Amateur genealogist Carol Carman is a descendant of one convict servant who worked in Annapolis and stayed in Maryland. Arrested in London, England, for stealing a silk handkerchief worth two shillings, Carman's ancestor was transported to the colonies and sentenced to servitude.Would you care for some water to wash your feet down with?

So instead of trying to be above it you'll just stoop down? Haha Sonnabend, always dredging the very bottom. Very typical of cowardly swine who have no place in intelligent discussionNope, just commenting on the fact you lot have whinged and whined for eight long years, and when you lose again, you will keep whingeing and whining.

How should a presidential candidate act?Like a man who wishes to aspire to the highest office in the land. Like a man who will protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Obama is an appeaser.

(note: the answer "with honor" is subjective and, quite frankly, wrong. Think twice before using it). How is McCain acting by comparing Barack Obama to Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton?Like he is accurately and quite fairly assessing his opponents campaign and performance, and drawing the necessary corollary.

He is also 100% right.

YupItsMe
08-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Michelle Obama has bigger nads than Obama.
He's a friggin lightweight