PDA

View Full Version : "Half Pound Baby Survives !"

megimoo
03-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Premature Baby 'Tom Thumb' born at 25 weeks weighing half a pound survives

A boy weighing only 275 grams after being born at University Hospital Goettingen in Germany is the world's lightest ever to have survived a premature birth
snip
The baby, who doctors dubbed "Tom Thumb" was less than the length of a sheet of A-4 paper and weighed a fraction over 9.7 ounces (275 grams) when he was born by Caesarean section 15 weeks prematurely at the University of Medicine at Göttingen in western Germany in June 2009.

snip

In December, the baby was finally pronounced "stable" after achieving a weight of 8.2lbs - considered an average birth weight in Germany.

Now, nine months after his birth, doctors have allowed the unnamed boy's parents to take him to the family home in Eighsfeld, central Germany, after ruling that he is strong enough to survive.

Officials from Göttingen hospital said that, having checked all available records of premature births worldwide, they were unable to find a viable birth of a boy at a lower weight. Three girls - including one born in the US at just 244 grams - had survived lower birth weights. The smallest boy previously recorded weighed 10.4 ounces.

Dr Stephan Seeliger, an expert on premature babies, said: "I spoke to the parents about the birth beforehand - whether we should go for it or not. In the end, I said: 'Good thing we did it!'"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/7375421/Premature-baby-Tom-Thumb-born-at-25-weeks-weighing-half-a-pound-survives.html

Rockntractor
03-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Poli couldn't have been much bigger than that when he was born?:confused:

Bubba Dawg
03-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Beat me to it Rock.....:D

megimoo
03-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Poli couldn't have been much bigger than that when he was born?:confused:Poli's tongue weighed more than that !

Apache
03-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Poli couldn't have been much bigger than that when he was born?:confused:

leave the ding-a-ling alone....:p

Bubba Dawg
03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
leave the ding-a-ling alone....:p

The past tense of ding-a-ling is dung-a-lung.

That's Poli!!!!:D

Apache
03-06-2010, 10:57 AM
The past tense of ding-a-ling is dung-a-lung.

That's Poli!!!!:D

That's not funny! :mad:

Yeah I laughed, but I gots cracked ribs...:(:p

Bubba Dawg
03-06-2010, 10:58 AM
That's not funny! :mad:

Yeah I laughed, but I gots cracked ribs...:(:p

Sorry about the ribs, Noble Mon. Feel better soon I hope.

We love pickin' on Poli. He gives as good as he gets. :D

Apache
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry about the ribs, Noble Mon. Feel better soon I hope.

We love pickin' on Poli. He gives as good as he gets. :D

Between you and Rock my recovery has been delayed...:p

As for poli, yeah he's a hoot...

Kay
03-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Just another good example to reinforce the argument that the mass of growing tissues in the womb IS A LIFE even at the very earliest stages. My son was a preemie at 3 lb 14 oz. He was so tiny, I just can't imagine how little this guy was at a half pound.

Apache, I hope the ribs are getting better.

Apache
03-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Apache, I hope the ribs are getting better.

Yeah they feel a little better, I just gotta use a lot of caution around Bubba and Rock...:D

Kay
03-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah they feel a little better, I just gotta use a lot of caution around Bubba and Rock...:D

.....and that Jo-Jo feller too. :)

Apache
03-06-2010, 02:07 PM
.....and that Jo-Jo feller too. :)

* note to self; Add Kay to bubba, rock list*

LOL (ouch) :p