PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: Life or Death....

Bubba Dawg
03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Clear and cool on The Mountain.

We'll be doing church early so I'm posting this early. I'm the newest Soundman on the sound system at church. I'm pleased.

I have a lot to learn.

TOTD: Life or Death Situations. I'm not talking about having to choose between one career path or another, I'm talking go left and live or go right and die.

Have you ever been in a situation where your choices and abilities, and your actions, literally meant the difference between death and survival?

If you'd like to share the details, great. If you'd like to keep it vague, for personal or legal reasons, that's cool. But for both, what did you take away from the experience?

djones520
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
TOTD: I don't know. I may have been, but I wasn't concious of it. I've been in a few near death experiences, but those were mostly accidents that I had no real control over.

Rockntractor
03-07-2010, 12:23 AM
When the train just barely missed me, dam they are loud and the light is bright too!:eek:

FlaGator
03-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Another beautiful but cool day here. Maybe it will get back to normal on day.

TOTD: I'm not sure because I think that only by dying could it be determined that the situation was truly life or death. Seeing that I am still here I must conclude that if I have been in such a situation that I made the best of all possible choices. Since death isn't stalking me (no more than he stalks all people) then I guess I've never had a Final Destination moment.

FlaGator
03-07-2010, 07:49 AM
When the train just barely missed me, dam they are loud and the light is bright too!:eek:

But if you dodged a train could that be considered a less than intelligent choice that just happened to turn out OK or did you not see it coming before you crossed paths?

marv
03-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Gonna be sweltering in the 60 temps here in the Ozarks today. Maybe turn the AC on.........

TOTDThank God for old French grenades with slow fuses.

M21
03-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Have you ever been in a situation where your choices and abilities, and your actions, literally meant the difference between death and survival?

Yes. Once in Iraq and once on a river running a Class IV+ rapid in my Kayak. Both were route selections based on instinct and experience and I choose correctly. Could have gone very badly. God's hand of protection was on me both times.

Have fun playing with the sound board. How many channels?

lacarnut
03-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Short sleeve weather in south LA. Took a 5 mile trip on the interstate to buy groceries at Walleymart. Ripped it up to 120mph for a short distance.

TOTD: If I had not quit drinking, I would be dead.

lurkalot
03-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Beautiful day here! The melting snow off the mountains has turned my yard into a mountain of mud. Yet another weekend with no yard work done! :cool:

TOTD: I've not faced Life or Death for myself, that I am aware of. Who knows? Maybe waiting five more minutes before leaving work one day avoided a three car pile up? But I have had to make life or death decisions for family members. The hardest was deciding on heart surgery for my baby. She was 12 days old and had lost weight since birth since she couldnt eat and her poor little heart was working overtime to keep her alive. Due to her size the surgeon said that it was doubtful that a baby under a pound would survive surgery. On the other hand, if she didn't have the surgery, her heart would give out and she would die. My husband couldn't sign the consent for the surgery, he was afraid he would be signing her death warrant. So I signed it.
I didn't cry until hours later when the surgeon came into the waiting room and said she survived the surgery. Then I broke down and became a blubbering mess!!

patriot45
03-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Clear and cool on The Mountain.

We'll be doing church early so I'm posting this early. I'm the newest Soundman on the sound system at church. I'm pleased.

I have a lot to learn.

TOTD: Life or Death Situations. I'm not talking about having to choose between one career path or another, I'm talking go left and live or go right and die.

If you'd like to share the details, great. If you'd like to keep it vague, for personal or legal reasons, that's cool. But for both, what did you take away from the experience?

Great day of golf today! It almost hit 80! But I hit 108!!!

TOTD: Divine intervention, It was the start of the thanksgiving day weekend and I wanted to get to my parents house in Ruskin to go fishing, I called my wife (first wife) and told her to gather the kids up that I was getting off early, 4:30 instead of 5. They were playing at the nieghbors next door with another couple of kids. Well, right after we loaded the car and got to Ruskin, my mom had on the news and here was my house on the news with the cops every where. The nieghbors crippled husband, Charles came in and just started shooting!!! Killed my daughters friend Jennifer and shot and paralyzed her brother Justin and shot his own wife twice before turning the gun on himself. We used to have those kids for sleepovers!
It was luck? That I got off early that day!?!
True story. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fni d%3D1320%26dat%3D19891124%26id%3DdfIRAAAAIBAJ%26sj id%3DN-oDAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D6872%2C8374595&rct=j&q=+charles+Tanner+kills+self+in+plant+city+florida&ei=NU6US-yANNHHtgeI-PTQCg&usg=AFQjCNFg3VqnJkUSV2BIfvwtRB90M_GjnQ)

Rockntractor
03-07-2010, 09:02 PM
But if you dodged a train could that be considered a less than intelligent choice that just happened to turn out OK or did you not see it coming before you crossed paths?
It was a case of far too much Blue Nun!

RobJohnson
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
TOTD: I've not faced Life or Death for myself, that I am aware of. Who knows? Maybe waiting five more minutes before leaving work one day avoided a three car pile up?

I'm not sure if your commute to work has ever included seeing three cars has it? :D

lacarnut
03-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure if your commute to work has ever included seeing three cars has it? :D

You know how to see just one bridge when you are shit faced driving across it? ...close one eye.

noonwitch
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
One time when I was in college, the bar I was at was being raided by the police, who were looking for underage drinkers like myself. My friend and I snuck out the back door, and called for a cab from the payphone out back. When we were waiting for the cab, I almost stepped out in front of a semi truck. My friend pulled me out of the way. It seemed to have a more lasting effect on her than me, since I really don't remember it that well, if at all.

My grandma did a similar thing for me once in front of Tiger Stadium when I was about 7. I was crossing Michigan AVE, and a car ran the red light and almost hit me. Grandma pulled me out of the way. I do remember that one, and the DPD pulled the guy over and arrested him. But I had looked both ways and all first that time, it was someone who was driving really fast and was probably drunk.

Bubba Dawg
03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Sorry to post and run but Sunday was a VERY busy day for Bubba.

Two church services (I'm making up for lost time. :D Actually I'm learning to run the sound board at church.) and then a lot of family stuff.

Bubba Dawg
03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Great day of golf today! It almost hit 80! But I hit 108!!!

TOTD: Divine intervention, It was the start of the thanksgiving day weekend and I wanted to get to my parents house in Ruskin to go fishing, I called my wife (first wife) and told her to gather the kids up that I was getting off early, 4:30 instead of 5. They were playing at the nieghbors next door with another couple of kids. Well, right after we loaded the car and got to Ruskin, my mom had on the news and here was my house on the news with the cops every where. The nieghbors crippled husband, Charles came in and just started shooting!!! Killed my daughters friend Jennifer and shot and paralyzed her brother Justin and shot his own wife twice before turning the gun on himself. We used to have those kids for sleepovers!
It was luck? That I got off early that day!?!
True story. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fni d%3D1320%26dat%3D19891124%26id%3DdfIRAAAAIBAJ%26sj id%3DN-oDAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D6872%2C8374595&rct=j&q=+charles+Tanner+kills+self+in+plant+city+florida&ei=NU6US-yANNHHtgeI-PTQCg&usg=AFQjCNFg3VqnJkUSV2BIfvwtRB90M_GjnQ)

Jeez Shooter. I have no argument with divine intervention. I'm just sorry it happened.

Rockntractor
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Sorry to post and run but Sunday was a VERY busy day for Bubba.

Two church services (I'm making up for lost time. :D Actually I'm learning to run the sound board at church.) and then a lot of family stuff.

Sound board? You mean like a guitar or something. Do you hit it with a mallet?:confused:

Bubba Dawg
03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I've had two instances of near death.

The first was when I had tick fever and almost died. I was in the hospital for 8 days with fevers ranging from 102 to 105.

Fortunately there was no dain bramage.

The other I got hit from behind on a city street and almost went underneath the truck in front of me. It was one of those trucks where the body went back several feet behind the back wheels. The hood of my car would have gone under the bed of the truck and it would have clipped off the windshield and roof from just aboard the dashboard. At the last second (or less) I got off the brake and steered and I was able to swerve and miss it.

Scared the tar out of me.

Bubba Dawg
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Sound board? You mean like a guitar or something. Do you hit it with a mallet?:confused:

The sound board runs the choir mikes, the pulpit mike, handhelds, 8 individual mikes and runs it to a speaker system, a cd recorder, runs the sound to a video recorder and there are two wireless mikes for the preacher and the minister of music.

Bubba's goin' high tech. :cool:

It really isn't that big of a deal but I like it. :D

patriot45
03-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Fortunately there was no dain bramage

:D Settin yourself up there Bubba!

There is nothin like a near miss on the road to get your heart pumping!

Bubba Dawg
03-08-2010, 08:09 PM
:D Settin yourself up there Bubba!

There is nothin like a near miss on the road to get your heart pumping!

Dang straight. I was five minutes or less from work on a city street. 35 mph speed limit. A city yard waste truck stopped in front of me. I braked and was almost stopped when WHAM I got hit from behind. All the energy from the speed of that vehicle propelled me forward. I stood on the brake but my car was going under the back of that truck.

I got off the brake and swerved and went beside the yard waste truck instead of under it.

The whole thing from impact to the swerve took two or three seconds at the most.

No time to be scared but afterward I got the shakes.