PDA

View Full Version : McCain vetting Va. congressman as possible veep

LibraryLady
08-03-2008, 12:38 AM
McCain vetting Va. congressman as possible veep

By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writer 9 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - John McCain's campaign has asked Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor for personal documents as the Republican presidential candidate steps up his search for a running mate, The Associated Press has learned.
ADVERTISEMENT

Cantor, 45, the chief deputy minority whip in the House, has been mentioned among several Republicans as a possible running mate for McCain. A Republican familiar with the conversations between Cantor and the McCain campaign said Cantor has been asked to turn over documents, but did not know specifically what records were sought.

Interesting possibility!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080803/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_cantor

Goldwater
08-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Sarah Palin the best choice. He can win with her.

LibraryLady
08-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Palin exactly the veep McCain needs (http://www.adn.com/opinion/compass/story/481970.html)

Palin can win the hearts of conservatives, given her strong pro-life views -- views that were backed up with action this year when she gave birth to a son with Down's syndrome. It would probably also help with these folks that her oldest son recently enlisted in the Army. And she can excite libertarian Republicans, given her fiscal conservatism as governor as well as her reputation for anti-corruption, love of guns and the outdoor life, and moderation on social issues other than abortion.

In short, Palin will provide McCain the surge he needs to win his last battle.

But she is caught up in a special investigator situation.

mike128
08-04-2008, 05:44 AM
I have no objection to Sarah Palin as McCain's VP, so far. She is solidly pro-life, which is good. I just hope she isn't pro-amnesty for illegals like McCain is, or pro-gay civil unions/marriage/adoption. That might be difficult to swallow.

I know very little about VA Rep. Eric Cantor, so I cannot comment on him, at this point in time.

Cold Warrior
08-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Sarah Palin the best choice. He can win with her.

GW, I'm not familiar with Sarah Palin but, according to the article LL quotes above, she seems primarily known for "pro-life" views. If that's the case, and since McCain himself is already pro-life, what does she add to the ticket to attract the moderate vote?

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I know very little about VA Rep. Eric Cantor, so I cannot comment on him, at this point in time.

Heaven knows we are waiting with baited breath for your approval.

linda22003
08-04-2008, 08:43 AM
(whispering) Eric Cantor doesn't believe in Jesus! :eek:

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I moved away from Virginia about 6 years ago, was it Cantor that had anti-Semitic literature used against him?

linda22003
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't know, but sadly I wouldn't be surprised, since he's from a more rural part of the state. I remember he ran against that guy who has spent his whole life capitalizing on the few years he was on "Dukes of Hazzard".:cool:

Goldwater
08-04-2008, 12:00 PM
GW, I'm not familiar with Sarah Palin but, according to the article LL quotes above, she seems primarily known for "pro-life" views. If that's the case, and since McCain himself is already pro-life, what does she add to the ticket to attract the moderate vote?

McCain has trouble with the evangelicals anyway, not that they want Obama, theres just no enthusiasm for McCain himself. Palin brings together those Christians and makes libertarian, Reagan type conservatives more comfortable. Add to that she is a very attractive woman and a good mother for the Clinton supporters and you've got one of the best possible VP picks for McCain, if he picks her I might change my prediction to who will win.

Elspeth
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Cantor looks very mainline conservative:

http://cantor.house.gov/

14 JUL Cantor on Decision to Lift Ban on Energy Exploration
20 JUN Supremem Court Ruling on Gun Ban is a Victory for Liberty
20 JUN Cantor on FISA Win
12 JUN Corporate Tax Rate Cuts Essential
23 MAY Cantor Honors Troops on Memorial Day
15 MAY VA Sheriffs' Back Congressional Initiative
9 APR Virginia Delegation Honors Jo Ann Davis
1 APR ACE Task Force Applauds ICE Proposal
5 MAR Dem Budget Does Nothing to Fix Washington
27 FEB Cantor: Democrat Tax Hikes Don't Help

And

(whispering) Eric Cantor doesn't believe in Jesus!

"Cantor is married to Diana Fine and they maintain a kosher home."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Cantor

mike128
08-05-2008, 04:31 AM
Cantor looks very mainline conservative:

http://cantor.house.gov/

14 JUL Cantor on Decision to Lift Ban on Energy Exploration
20 JUN Supremem Court Ruling on Gun Ban is a Victory for Liberty
20 JUN Cantor on FISA Win
12 JUN Corporate Tax Rate Cuts Essential
23 MAY Cantor Honors Troops on Memorial Day
15 MAY VA Sheriffs' Back Congressional Initiative
9 APR Virginia Delegation Honors Jo Ann Davis
1 APR ACE Task Force Applauds ICE Proposal
5 MAR Dem Budget Does Nothing to Fix Washington
27 FEB Cantor: Democrat Tax Hikes Don't Help
OK, so Eric Cantor is a pro-defense "fiscal conservative". How does any of this motivate a social conservative, like myself, to run to the polls and pull the McCain lever, should McCain decide to pick Cantor as his running mate??

Zeus
08-05-2008, 05:38 AM
OK, so Eric Cantor is a pro-defense "fiscal conservative". How does any of this motivate a social conservative, like myself, to run to the polls and pull the McCain lever, should McCain decide to pick Cantor as his running mate??

Live in Peace & prosper. Pro-defense fiscal conservatism is a good foundation for social conservatism.