PDA

View Full Version : In US, Muslim women challenge mosque separation

bijou
03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
A group of Muslim women risked arrest as they sought to pray in the main area of the Islamic Center of Washington -- an area ordinarily reserved exclusively for men.

"Wooden barriers have to be taken down and women have to be allowed to join, to pray behind the men in the main praying area. That's our request," said Fatima Thompson on Sunday, an American Muslim who converted to the faith 18 years ago.

"We are against gender segregation, against the fact that women are put aside or in a totally different room at the mosque," added Thompson, who led the group of female protestors, all self-identified progressive Muslims.

...SNIP...

The imam presiding over the prayer interrupted proceedings to announce by microphone: "We are going to wait, because some people came to disturb the prayer, until the police come and take care of this issue."

Within minutes, three police officers arrived and told the women to leave or face arrest.

link (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.fc9d94ed6d023a014d3b537b8df2ae0 0.321&show_article=1)

noonwitch
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Good for them!

FlaGator
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
said Fatima Thompson on Sunday, an American Muslim who converted to the faith 18 years ago.

I am assuming that she knew that these were the rules of Islam when she converted. Why convert to a religion and then try to change it. Pick another religion that is more suited to ones beliefs. This is like joining the Boys Scouts and trying change the rules to admit girls.

Gingersnap
03-08-2010, 03:13 PM
I am assuming that she knew that these were the rules of Islam when she converted. Why convert to a religion and then try to change it. Pick another religion that is more suited to ones beliefs. This is like joining the Boys Scouts and trying change the rules to admit girls.

Oh, joining a particular group and then whining about how it needs to change is almost a national sport anymore.

Reforms like these will never be taken seriously when they are promoted by reverts. When (and if) Muslim women who were born into the faith in a family of non-European descent decide to do this, then it might get some productive attention in some parts of the world.

Speedy
03-08-2010, 04:27 PM
You know what is even worse? People that emigrate to a country then bitch because that country does not bend to their will and traditions.

Elspeth
03-09-2010, 02:35 AM
Now don't you all want a kinder, gentler Islam? :)

Kay
03-09-2010, 06:39 AM
This is like joining an Amish community, then demanding electricity.

If these women had dared do this any place other than in America
they'd have had their heads lopped off on the spot or been stoned to death.

noonwitch
03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
This is like joining an Amish community, then demanding electricity.

If these women had dared do this any place other than in America
they'd have had their heads lopped off on the spot or been stoned to death.

I understand the arguments that they shouldn't have joined and all, but any kind of change within Islam for the better is going to start with the muslims in a free nation like the US, or in a newly free country like Iran could be if the people start a revolution against their current leadership.

I don't understand why a woman in the US who wasn't raised muslim would want to convert. I had a black female friend who was studying Islam at one point and I gave her hell on a regular basis about how she could be part of this proud tradition of independent, black, strong american women and voluntarily give it up to become part of a religion that expects her to be ashamed of all those things she should be proud of. I told her about coworkers who married men from the middle east and ended up having serious problems when it came time to get divorced and make custody arrangements, although those situations involved immigration and such.