PDA

View Full Version : "Generation Kill" on HBO

OwlMBA
08-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Have any of you seen this show? It is hands down the most despicable piece of anti-war propaganda I have ever seen. Its not even anti-war, but anti-Troop is more like it. It shows our soldiers as stupid, raping, murdering animals. It is so over the top that I felt disgusting after watching it for 2 minutes.

Heck, just look at the name of the show - "Generation Kill". Gee, I wonder what they are saying with that title.

Unreal.

gator
08-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Have any of you seen this show? It is hands down the most despicable piece of anti-war propaganda I have ever seen. Its not even anti-war, but anti-Troop is more like it. It shows our soldiers as stupid, raping, murdering animals. It is so over the top that I felt disgusting after watching it for 2 minutes.

Heck, just look at the name of the show - "Generation Kill". Gee, I wonder what they are saying with that title.

Unreal.

It is very real.

The story is a true account of the war.

Some of the people that were in the real Recon Battalion are actually actors in the show. For instance, the Recon sniper called “Fruity Rudy” is the real person.

I have not seen any raping on the show. The Marine shot a camel in real life during the Advance on Baghdad under orders to shoot anything that moved. Those were actual orders and it happened as depicted. I suspect there were many killed in the war. Shit happens in war. You also saw the officer chew ass for it happening and told the Marines that they were not there to do stuff like that. You also saw the squad show compassion for the boy that got shot even when it was not good security wise to do so.

As far as stupid goes there are some stupid people in the military. There are some stupid enlisted men and there are stupid officers and NCOs. Just like in real life there are stupid people and you will also find some of them in the military.

In the military you have thieves, psychos, con men, cowards etc, etc, in addition to decent, moral, and hard working men and women. The military is a cross section of America. There are nether Saints or sinners. They are just Americans. Most of them are kids not far out of High School. In my time in the military I ran across officers and NCOs just as incompetent as the ones depicted in the show, which were based upon real life people. I also ran across some very good leaders. You also have to remember that Lt Flick is depicted as a very good leader.

I look at the series as showing how men do their duty under the stresses of war. War is not pretty. War is chaotic as hell. The series is actually good in my opinion. As a veteran I watch it and relate and also get an appreciation of the stresses the troops went through to invade Iraqi.

NonConformist
08-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I dont subscrine to that crap channel called HBO, though i do want to see this series, the book was good and didnt strike me as anti anything though HBO is known for liberalizing things

I just started watching another HBO series I rented call John Adams and even there they throw in a bit if leftist crap that has no context in history to back up it having happened but they stick it in w/ a secondary character so no one gets pissed, well except me:cool:

marinejcksn
08-03-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm a Marine, currently serving in Iraq. I think you took the show in entirely the wrong light. At first, when I saw the ads I thought it was going to be an Anti-War, Anti-Marine Corps production but nothing could be further from the truth. The show deals with and shows possibly the most realistic depiction of modern warfare ever shown on screen.

Recon Marines, and frankly Marines in general are a strange group of people. No doubt you noticed the black comedy in the show, the way the characters talk to each other. The dialoge is often filled with racial remarks, ethnic slurs, profanity, you name it. It SEEMS barbaric...it SEEMS idiotic....but it's war. Those who've served in Combat, especially Marines I'm sure could watch Generation Kill and get a kick out how accurately they portrayed the way we interact with each other. When it's 130 degrees in a blistering sand filled nation, you're thousands of miles from home, scared of what might happen you come up with ways to keep each other occupied. We swear, talk smack to each other and engage in a lot of Off Color antics. It's a way to keep your morale and your sanity.

HBO and the Marines involved realized a lot of America and the World as a whole might look at this and think we're mindless killers. But it's an accurate portrayal of Recon, and I think it's a great piece.

If some people think it shows us as ruthless killers, it's because we are. Granted, we're taught to follow the Rules of Engagement, and only a heartless monster would target unarmed women or children. But complete annihilation, total destruction of the enemy? That's the Marines job. War isn't nice or fun and it isn't something you can win by trying to fight it "politically correct". I applaude the Marines who participated in Generation Kill. OORAH.

gator
08-03-2008, 09:57 AM
I dont subscrine to that crap channel called HBO, though i do want to see this series, the book was good and didnt strike me as anti anything though HBO is known for liberalizing things

HBO did Band of Brothers.

NonConformist
08-03-2008, 01:23 PM
That was a good show and it wants full of liberal crap. I have it on Tape

IanMartins
08-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Most of my favourite tv-series (ROME, Band of Brothers, John Adams, the Sopranos, Deadwood and Carnivale) aired on HBO, so I have very little against that channel. Bill Maher, however, is a pretty horrible person as far as I can tell. I'll certainly watch Generation Kill.

OwlMBA
08-03-2008, 05:04 PM
It is very real.

The story is a true account of the war.

Some of the people that were in the real Recon Battalion are actually actors in the show. For instance, the Recon sniper called “Fruity Rudy” is the real person.

I have not seen any raping on the show. The Marine shot a camel in real life during the Advance on Baghdad under orders to shoot anything that moved. Those were actual orders and it happened as depicted. I suspect there were many killed in the war. Shit happens in war. You also saw the officer chew ass for it happening and told the Marines that they were not there to do stuff like that. You also saw the squad show compassion for the boy that got shot even when it was not good security wise to do so.

As far as stupid goes there are some stupid people in the military. There are some stupid enlisted men and there are stupid officers and NCOs. Just like in real life there are stupid people and you will also find some of them in the military.

In the military you have thieves, psychos, con men, cowards etc, etc, in addition to decent, moral, and hard working men and women. The military is a cross section of America. There are nether Saints or sinners. They are just Americans. Most of them are kids not far out of High School. In my time in the military I ran across officers and NCOs just as incompetent as the ones depicted in the show, which were based upon real life people. I also ran across some very good leaders. You also have to remember that Lt Flick is depicted as a very good leader.

I look at the series as showing how men do their duty under the stresses of war. War is not pretty. War is chaotic as hell. The series is actually good in my opinion. As a veteran I watch it and relate and also get an appreciation of the stresses the troops went through to invade Iraqi.

But what about the parts where they push propaganda, like the line last night of "dont help the injured civilians. The law says we only have to provide them with the level of care they could get on their own, and around here that is nothing."

Dont you think that suggests that our military doesnt want to help the injured civilians?

And what about when they are driving and shooting and saying "vote republican"?

And the parts where they are mocking the Islamic faith? Does that do our soldiers any good?

Parts of it may be "based on true stories", but I would say it is very, very loosely based. To anyone outside of the military it makes our soldiers look bad.

NonConformist
08-03-2008, 05:14 PM
But what about the parts where they push propaganda, like the line last night of "dont help the injured civilians. The law says we only have to provide them with the level of care they could get on their own, and around here that is nothing."

Dont you think that suggests that our military doesnt want to help the injured civilians?

SF can not usually spare any supplies lest the short themselves, its more a matter or practicality than maliciousness, plus they cant get tied down when they need to push on and they have no idea when they can resupply if at all

And what about when they are driving and shooting and saying "vote republican"?

Because they are liberating people and the Republicans are the masterminds?

And the parts where they are mocking the Islamic faith? Does that do our soldiers any good?

No, but the truth is the truth, and I dont know any decent American who wouldntr mock the so called Religion of Peace

Parts of it may be "based on true stories", but I would say it is very, very loosely based. To anyone outside of the military it makes our soldiers look bad.

You'd be surprised how LE, FF the .mil etc would look if people knew half the crap you do to keep sane or the things we joke about!

OwlMBA
08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
You'd be surprised how LE, FF the .mil etc would look if people knew half the crap you do to keep sane or the things we joke about!

I appreciate the insight from our military folks. It is helpful. Believe me. But I still don't think they do a good job of portraying our military. When a program like this shows our soldiers mocking "towel heads", even though I am sure it is true sometimes, it does us no good. True or not, this show would only serve to grow hatred of our soldiers. It honestly makes them look like braindead hicks with a bone to pick, and they don't care who gets in the way.

But I am of the belief that war does not belong on TV. Not live on the news networks or satorialized on HBO. War is hell, and the media does not need to be involved. If you want to see it, go enlist. That is the way I look at it. The media picks and chooses what they want to show, and they do a great job of picking the worst things.

When Al Jazeera shows clips from CNN's embedded reporters, you know something is wrong.

From an outsiders point of view, this show is negative of our soldiers and our military.

Goldwater
08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
From an outsiders point of view, this show is negative of our soldiers and our military.

Freedom has downsides.

gator
08-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I appreciate the insight from our military folks. It is helpful. Believe me. But I still don't think they do a good job of portraying our military. When a program like this shows our soldiers mocking "towel heads", even though I am sure it is true sometimes, it does us no good. True or not, this show would only serve to grow hatred of our soldiers. It honestly makes them look like braindead hicks with a bone to pick, and they don't care who gets in the way.

But I am of the belief that war does not belong on TV. Not live on the news networks or satorialized on HBO. War is hell, and the media does not need to be involved. If you want to see it, go enlist. That is the way I look at it. The media picks and chooses what they want to show, and they do a great job of picking the worst things.

When Al Jazeera shows clips from CNN's embedded reporters, you know something is wrong.

I'll give you a clue on something; our troops called the Iraqis "towel heads". In Vietnam we called the Vietnamese "gooks". WWII had its name for both the Germans and the Japs.

It is real life.

War is not a politically correct Hollywood production.

If you are going to have a realistic portrayal of military life you will have beaucoup politically incorrect language and actions.

If you are offended then don't watch it.

LibraryLady
08-03-2008, 11:07 PM
DU has a thread about it:

trumad Donating Member (1000+ posts)Sun Aug-03-08 10:56 PM
Original message (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3726052)
It won't be long before the ChickenHawks will be blasting HBO's Generation Kill.

OwlMBA
08-04-2008, 12:38 AM
DU has a thread about it:

I read about Generation Kill at DU. They love it! I wonder why that is...

ralph wiggum
08-04-2008, 12:52 AM
I read about Generation Kill at DU. They love it! I wonder why that is...

Any chance to bash the troops, "Hollywood" or not, the DUmp is all over it.

marinejcksn
08-04-2008, 01:51 AM
I'll give you a clue on something; our troops called the Iraqis "towel heads". In Vietnam we called the Vietnamese "gooks". WWII had its name for both the Germans and the Japs.

It is real life.

War is not a politically correct Hollywood production.

If you are going to have a realistic portrayal of military life you will have beaucoup politically incorrect language and actions.

If you are offended then don't watch it.

OORAH gator. Thank God people understand what war really is. It isn't glamourous or pretty or nice. It's certainly not "P.C" no matter how bad the country wants our Generals to wear pink boots and play nice war games. We can either have highly trained, professional killers or a bunch of servicemen trained to use "lesser force" against an enemy that would just as soon strap a bomb to their own child as fast as look in your direction: take your pick.:rolleyes:

OwlMBA
08-04-2008, 02:21 AM
OORAH gator. Thank God people understand what war really is. It isn't glamourous or pretty or nice. It's certainly not "P.C" no matter how bad the country wants our Generals to wear pink boots and play nice war games. We can either have highly trained, professional killers or a bunch of servicemen trained to use "lesser force" against an enemy that would just as soon strap a bomb to their own child as fast as look in your direction: take your pick.:rolleyes:

And the raping and deliberate murder of innocent civilians, followed by a laugh as portrayed in generation kill? Is that all part of it too?

Trust me, all that show is doing is hurting people's opinion of the military. We expect you to cuss, we expect you to use slurs, but that show goes WAY beyond that to things that nobody wants our military doing. They make it look like murdering civies and the like is common.

Eyelids
08-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Trust me, all that show is doing is hurting people's opinion of the military.

So what? It shouldn't be allowed to be aired? Fuck off you censorship goon.

OwlMBA
08-04-2008, 03:27 AM
So what? It shouldn't be allowed to be aired? Fuck off you censorship goon.

Of course it should. But Generation Kill does for the military what "The First 48" on A&E does for the black community.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 03:32 AM
eyeballs has a better chance of being on The First 48 than any war movie.

marinejcksn
08-04-2008, 03:32 AM
And the raping and deliberate murder of innocent civilians, followed by a laugh as portrayed in generation kill? Is that all part of it too?

Trust me, all that show is doing is hurting people's opinion of the military. We expect you to cuss, we expect you to use slurs, but that show goes WAY beyond that to things that nobody wants our military doing. They make it look like murdering civies and the like is common.

Okay, I only saw the first few episodes since I came to Iraq in June but I didn't see any raping going on. Civilian deaths? Yes, it's a fact of war. What part of that don't you understand? Would you favor Stalinist censorship rather then the brutal truth of this war?

OwlMBA
08-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Okay, I only saw the first few episodes since I came to Iraq in June but I didn't see any raping going on. Civilian deaths? Yes, it's a fact of war. What part of that don't you understand? Would you favor Stalinist censorship rather then the brutal truth of this war?

You are missing the point. Had you seen the show, they REVELED in it. I could give a @#$% about civilian deaths, but in this show they show soldiers as seeking out civilians to kill in one scene.

So you can either say, "yup thats how our soldiers are - excited to kill iraqi civilians" or you can say "the show unfairly stereotypes our soldiers are murderers".

They also did a good job of throwing in snarky little comments like about the military being comprised of the bottom of the class, etc.

Trust me, that show does the military no favors. When the DUmpies love it you know there is a problem.

marinejcksn
08-04-2008, 05:02 AM
I'll have to watch the rest of the series and make my own decision on it. From everything I read about it and saw in the first few episodes it's extremely accurate to what happened, if the SSgt from the unit is working on the project as a producer I have to believe he didn't make stuff up. I'll watch the rest and see what I think.

gator
08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
You are missing the point. Had you seen the show, they REVELED in it. I could give a @#$% about civilian deaths, but in this show they show soldiers as seeking out civilians to kill in one scene.

So you can either say, "yup thats how our soldiers are - excited to kill iraqi civilians" or you can say "the show unfairly stereotypes our soldiers are murderers".

They also did a good job of throwing in snarky little comments like about the military being comprised of the bottom of the class, etc.

Trust me, that show does the military no favors. When the DUmpies love it you know there is a problem.

Read his first post. He sees the point. It is you that is missing it.

I saw no stereotype as murders. I also saw no rape, although you mentioned it twice.

Almost everybody in the military has snarky little comments to make at one time or another. Some do it constantly. I saw the men in the squad get really pissed when a civilian boy was shot accidentally. Then even shunned the person that did it (accidentally) and called him asshole.

The DUers can love it for whatever reason they want. If you go to the military type forums like AR-15.com (mostly military) you will see the same kind of comments made by the vets on this thread. The show is appreciated for its realistic portrayal.

The men depicted in the show are all volunteers. Many of them are also professionals. They bitch and complain about the conditions like all military men before them. They make fun of the incompetent officers behind their back like all military men before them. They bitch about not knowing what is going on like all military men before them. They become callous to killing like all military men before them. They are all full of piss and vinegar like all military men before them.

gator
08-04-2008, 08:17 AM
I'll have to watch the rest of the series and make my own decision on it. From everything I read about it and saw in the first few episodes it's extremely accurate to what happened, if the SSgt from the unit is working on the project as a producer I have to believe he didn't make stuff up. I'll watch the rest and see what I think.

Go to the HBO Generation Kill website and you will see interviews of the men that were on the Recon squad including the SSG and the Lt. All the events depicted in the series happened and they tried very hard to capture the language and mood of the troops.

Eyelids
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Of course it should. But Generation Kill does for the military what "The First 48" on A&E does for the black community.

What the hell is The First 48?

Zafod
08-04-2008, 03:02 PM

http://jovan.ru/pics/retard.gif

Eyelids
08-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I was there was a way to adblock Zafod.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 03:21 PM
You do know he is a mod, don't you?

Zafod
08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
I was there was a way to adblock Zafod.

I was there was a way to make you not be so fucking retarded!

Congrats though......

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/robZ1/retard_prize.jpg

Zafod
08-04-2008, 03:27 PM

I dont think he does....

Zathras
08-04-2008, 03:51 PM
eyeballs has a better chance of being on The First 48 than any war movie.

Or Cops for that matter.

Rebel Yell
08-04-2008, 04:32 PM
The easiest way to deal with killing the enemy is to dehumanize them. One way to do that is call them towel head, skinny, charlie, etc. We sat out on the fantail when we were sitting off the coast of Kosovo and laughed everytime we saw a Tomohawk fired off. We thought it was the coolest thing that somewhere somebody was sitting there smoking cigarette just like us, but he didn't know he would be dead in a few. We did. We made fun of everybody, everywherer we went. You know why? We're Americans, and that does make us just a little better (or at least more blessed) than they are.

Eyelids
08-04-2008, 10:28 PM

Umm Adblock is a Firefox feature that allows you to turn off pictures from sources. I don't see banner ads or anything on CU.

OwlMBA
08-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Its a show that follows murder investigators. In other words, its about black people. The only white people on the show are cops, or in some cases, the murder victims. If you watched a few episodes you wouldn't have a positive perception of african americans.

Jake
08-05-2008, 12:10 AM
http://coinside.blogspot.com/2006/05/generation-kill-full-rebuttal.html

I deployed several times with GySgt Griego, his reputation in the Force Recon community is stellar. I am inclined to believe what he says at the link.

ralph wiggum
08-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Umm Adblock is a Firefox feature that allows you to turn off pictures from sources. I don't see banner ads or anything on CU.

The original point was that you cannot ignore moderators.

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Its a show that follows murder investigators. In other words, its about black people. The only white people on the show are cops, or in some cases, the murder victims. If you watched a few episodes you wouldn't have a positive perception of african americans.

Oh its one of those shows... yeah I would be offended by something like that but I figure anybody who has time to watch The First 48 is such a sad sack of shit I wouldn't care.

marinejcksn
08-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Oh its one of those shows... yeah I would be offended by something like that but I figure anybody who has time to watch The First 48 is such a sad sack of shit I wouldn't care.

Jesus Christ, do you guys find fault with everything? The 1st 48 is racist, I can hear the claims now. Go back to DU where you belong. Violent crime involves blacks more then whites, that isn't racist...it's a fact backed by all the statistics. Does that mean all black people are criminals? NO. Is it "racist" to state fact? NO. I'm so sick of weak little crybabies claiming "their group" is discriminated against....only idiots identify with groups. If the first thing you identify with is your group (race, ethnicity) you really have nothing more interesting to say about yourself because you got nothing going on in your life.

OwlMBA
08-05-2008, 02:52 AM

Well, its not on UPN so I understand why you don't watch it.

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 03:19 AM
No its one of those stupid "WOW CRIME DRAMA" shows that dumb white people just eat up. Let me guess? USA? A&E? Yeah keep watching a lame staged crime show to make up for your bland and pathetic life.

OwlMBA
08-05-2008, 03:37 AM
No its one of those stupid "WOW CRIME DRAMA" shows that dumb white people just eat up. Let me guess? USA? A&E? Yeah keep watching a lame staged crime show to make up for your bland and pathetic life.

Uh, its cameras following actual murder investigators. Not hardly a "staged crime drama". Its documentation of the facts of inner city life.

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Uh, its cameras following actual murder investigators. Not hardly a "staged crime drama". Its documentation of the facts of inner city life.

The day anything on TV is portrayed with 100% accuracy is the day the sun burns out.

Jake
08-05-2008, 05:19 AM
WTF are you all going on about? I thought the discussion thread was in reference to Generation Kill...
Read this: http://coinside.blogspot.com/2006/05/generation-kill-full-rebuttal.html
The book was written with an agenda, the mini-series took that theme and ran with it.

On edit; I know Gy Griego having deployed with him several times in N.Africa and South West Asia. I trust his account. The book and the HBO series is a load.

Zafod
08-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Well, its not on UPN so I understand why you don't watch it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!:D

Zafod
08-05-2008, 10:54 AM

dumb white people?

You are a racist bigoted pile of shit.

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Am I seeing things? Somebody tell me those last 2 posts did not just happen.

Zafod
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM

They did, what are you getting at pinkeye?

Rebel Yell
08-05-2008, 03:25 PM

You think you can say shit like dumb white people, then act shocked when somebody says something back? How about you kiss my lilly white ass?

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
You think you can say shit like dumb white people, then act shocked when somebody says something back? How about you kiss my lilly white ass?

Because only dumb white people really watch that show (cough, trailer parks, cough). Oh and your sig is racist as hell.

asdf2231
08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
GENERATION KILL, NON-FICTION, YEAH RIGHT!

I was the Operation Chief for Bravo Company 1st Reconnaissance Battalion and traveled with the Company Commander during Operation Iraqi Freedom I. I arrived in Bravo Company about a week before the war kicked off because of an incident with the Company’s 1st Sergeant and a Master Sergeant. The former Operations Chief was promoted to 1st Sergeant and I stepped in as the Operations Chief. If Bravo Company or the Battalion didn’t bring something with them to the combat zone, I.E. LSAT, a lubricant for the heavy weapons, or multiple rechargeable thermal batteries, then it was too late at the point that I assumed responsibility as operations chief to get any. I know we have heard the story of the goose that lays golden eggs but I have never heard a fairytale about the gunny that lays LSAT or batteries for that matter. So you can see how ignorant this sounds when it is the focus of my faults. This book is stated to be non-fiction yet it is filled with lies and much of the writing is from the point of view of a Marine that would have normally been kicked out of the unit, but during time of war we need every body that we can get. The Marine Corps has a name for Marines like Corporal Person, “ Shitbird”. In the book he is depicted as the, “True Recon Marine”. You have got to be kidding me, his true Recon Marine means that the Marine has the 0321 military occupational specialty, it takes years of training and a number of schools to be considered a TRUE RECON MARINE by, “True Recon Marines” that have dedicated their careers to the reconnaissance community. So not only are their multitudes of lies but the book is written from the point of view of the Marines that befriended Evan Wright. Evan Wright created characters for his book, a book that can only be categorized as fiction.

PAGE 73: Introduction of this mythical character Evan Wright calls Casey Kasim. The incident where he says that doc Bryan was almost shot by a senior enlisted Marine as he comes through the bushes never happened. Here is what did happen. Bravo Company is tasked with setting up a linear defense at the, “Mother of all Battles Canal”. The vehicles are supposed to be 500 meters apart and all on line. Iraqi troops are walking along our side of the canal, not the other side as written, and are said to have gave up the fight and are going home to Nasariah. There were a lot of them moving through our lines and there was not a good accountability of them exiting the far end. I was checking the line and could see that about 1000 meters away there were heat signatures of people in the brush approximately 40 meters behind our lines. I could not tell who they were because I was using the ANPAS-13 Thermal Imager that is not a very good thermal optic. There was no vehicle to their front and the ANPAS thermal imager does not have depth perception so the personnel in the brush look like they are somewhere between two of our vehicles. I had the vehicle in front of me conduct a communications check with the vehicles to his left down the line. He tried to contact Sgt Lovell's team that was supposed to be in the second position down the line, the team didn’t answer. 30 minutes after no communications with them I had another vehicle go down to check out what was going on and who was in the brush. As the vehicle was driving along the canal I used my PEQ-2, I.R. pointer, to show them where the heat signatures were located. The vehicle team moved down the canal and confirmed that it was Sgt Lovell’s team; they were digging in their position instead of having their vehicle on line with the rest of the Company. Corporal Jacks passed them the word that they were never told to dig in behind our lines and that they had to get their vehicle up on line with everyone else. I never even went down the canal to where Sgt Lovell’s team was so this part about coming through the bushes and almost shooting someone never happened. Sgt Lovell, the team leader for the team that this incident was written about has confirmed what I have written.

PAGE 73: It says that I am one of those, “Rear-echelon” men in a support position that normally wouldn’t deploy with Recon Marines. Now this is the funniest thing I have heard so far. That deployment to Iraq is my eighth with a Reconnaissance unit, and the first in a Company Staff billet. I probably have more reconnaissance deployments than any other Marine in the Marine Corps at this point in my career. It states that my job is to keep the men supplied with batteries, water and chow. Actually my job was Operations Chief, assisting the Company Commander in his decision making process. Which I will later discuss when it comes to more events that happened and those that didn’t.

PAGE 74: The book says that I failed to bring enough batteries for the PAS-13 which is not as good of a device as depicted in the book. At a distance of 600 meters you probably couldn’t tell if the enemy had weapons or not. As for bringing enough batteries, that was a shortfall at the Battalion level. I handed out all the re-chargeable batteries that the Battalion gave us evenly between the two platoons. That was all we were getting there was no re-supply of thermal batteries during the first three weeks of fighting.

PAGE 74: Here is a good one, how am I telling Doc Bryan this stuff about enemy infiltrators when he is 1000 meters away from my position? If you remember he was in Sgt Lovell’s team that wasn’t on line with the rest of the Company 1000 meters away from me. I was standing in the Vehicle to my front at the time and I was the one that said that it is probably just rocks or the most disciplined Iraqi’s we’ve seen so far, but to check it out anyway. As a gunnery sergeant I can do this, I am in the position to give orders, and I did. As a, “Joke”, I said that it could be a well-disciplined RPG hunter killer team. You see we do that sometimes to try and relieve tension, their called jokes. Also as for Doc Bryan being better combat trained than the Marines we can check his record book and verify that he was not. He no doubt is better medically trained because he is a Navy CORPMAN. It also states on this page that he could have chosen to be a Navy Seal or join a Recon unit. I think there is a school called BUDS that you must pass first before he would get to make that choice, but you would have to ask a Navy Seal for verification on that. Maybe they just let you be a SEAL if you complain a lot and make up stories for reporters.

PAGE 98: This combat stress class that the Marines received before the war, which I the rear-echelon guy that normally doesn’t deploy with Recon Marines gave, actually states that 25 percent will have to urinate or defecate, not that they will urinate or defecate on themselves. I guess it sounds funnier the way Evan Wright explains it though so you can get this silly picture of Marines running around trying to go to the bathroom before engagements. I gave this class with a PowerPoint presentation and the class contents can be verified.

Page 137: Colbert talking about stress related reactions in combat. The first time Colbert heard anything about them was when I gave the class before departing Kuwait and I talked extensively to Evan Wright about this during the deployment. Once again it wouldn’t sound good for my character to know anything about combat related stress since I normally wouldn’t deploy with Recon Marines, What a joke!

<snip for brevity>

PAGE 217: This myth that Lt. Fick says that there fucking flanking us and Fick requests an artillery strike, I am not sure but I think I have a Navy Commendation Medal with a “V” for valor that says that I did this. Oh I am looking at it right now, yes it does say that I did this.

PAGE 339: The Company Commander never ordered anyone into a minefield, they were told to mark the minefield from the road so that the convoys that followed behind us would know were it’s at. I have this whole story with interviews already completed about this incident.

PAGE 351: Since when is a meritorious promotion one of the highest honors in the Marine Corps. Learn a little about the Marines before opening mouth and inserting pen Evan.

PAGE 353: Gunny Wynn was never cleared of any charges because the Battalion Commander never charged him with anything, which is something to this day I still don’t understand. Any leader knows that you don’t tell your men to question orders. His dereliction of duty caused dissention amongst the troops that affected the Battalions efficiency. The truth will be known. Oh please check my background and verify this for yourself*.

Gysgt. Daniel J. Griego, USMC Ret.

asdf2231
08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I was in the US Army assigned to 3rd ID during OIF I as well. Judging by what I've read, it appears that you guys got burned by a man who intended to write this kind of story from the beginning.

This is the same man who wrote a similar story about a US Army unit in Afghanistan. In this story, (For Rolling Stone) he did much of same, as he found it more important to locate the Shitbags of the unit and follow their activities instead of focusing on the people and events that exemplified the Unit. In fact, I find his ability to locate and befriend the unit shitbags to be his only true talent. The purpose for this of course is obvious; he (and his ilk) see the US military as an enemy to their ideological orientation. So to bring it down he finds people like him (Shitbags) and describes them as heroes, while making everyone else out to be insane or incompetent.

Knowing that he can't describe everyone as he would like, he then goes on with the tired old class warfare-like narrative how only the lower enlisted are the "good guys" while Bourgeoise (Officers, SNCO's) are the "oppressors." Of course his "good guys" of the narrative are all violent, stupid, sexist, homophobes anyway, but I guess we're too stupid to notice?

While I'm pretty sure you won't, please don't let this shitbag's actions bring you down, or your service to this country. Just think about the contrast between the average Marine or Soldier and this person. On the one hand, you have people who are willing to die for the ideas and interests of our nation and on the other, you have person who is willing to lie and disrespect the military during wartime to make a quick buck and gain some notoriety among the lowest subhuman-parasites that exist in this country. Not much of a comparison....

Rebel Yell
08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Because only dumb white people really watch that show (cough, trailer parks, cough). Oh and your sig is racist as hell.

No dumb white people watch UPN, too. Dumb black people watch Comic View. Black men dressed like old women doing stupid dances always makes your people stad up from there chair and twirl around and laugh. Tell me exactly what is racist about my sigline. Besides it takes away your get out of jail free card for racist posts.

Zafod
08-05-2008, 04:11 PM

You are so fucking stupid it hurts to think down to your level....

http://dean81.users.btopenworld.com/funny/retard.jpg

OwlMBA
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
No dumb white people watch UPN, too. Dumb black people watch Comic View. Black men dressed like old women doing stupid dances always makes your people stad up from there chair and twirl around and laugh. Tell me exactly what is racist about my sigline. Besides it takes away your get out of jail free card for racist posts.

Hmm, I dont know about that. That would require paying the cable bill.

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Doesn't take much to get you guys to show off your true colors here...

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ku_klux_klan_03.jpg

Rebel Yell
08-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Hmm, I dont know about that. That would require paying the cable bill.

They'll go without food before they go without cable. Plus when you have section 8, $5 rent, $2 light bill, free medical services, and food stamps, that dope money stretches pretty far.

Rebel Yell
08-05-2008, 04:54 PM

I don't hide shit, if that's what you're getting at. I just call 'em like I see 'em, bruh.

OwlMBA
08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
They'll go without food before they go without cable. Plus when you have section 8, $5 rent, $2 light bill, free medical services, and food stamps, that dope money stretches pretty far.

True, but cell phones come first. After Katrina I was living in Atlanta, and the local news featured a New Orleans family every night that needed our help. I always found it odd that the Katrina refugees living in the free motel rooms and asking for money on TV always had a cell phone, nice shoes, and NBA jerseys.

OwlMBA
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM

Hey, if I ever say anything untrue just let me know. My facts may seem mean, but they are just facts.

You must have missed all of my fat, lazy, white people posts. I am equally fair with my disdain for losers.

Zathras
08-05-2008, 06:26 PM

Why are you posting a picture of Democrats here?

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't hide shit, if that's what you're getting at. I just call 'em like I see 'em, bruh.

Oh I dont doubt that you call them like you see them, doesnt mean you aren't a total racist.

Zafod
08-06-2008, 01:48 AM
I think we have k west posting here folks....

" gorge boosh don kay bout blak peepul!"

Rebel Yell
08-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh I dont doubt that you call them like you see them, doesnt mean you aren't a total racist.

That's funny, my ex wife and several other ex's would disagree. Pretty much everyone that really knows me would disagree. They would also tell you that I just don't tiptoe around the race issue. If you get offended by what I say, I must be talking about you. Plus, I really don't care about the KKK photo. No shock value there, nice try though.

ConJinx
08-06-2008, 11:30 AM

What if I'm a racist but I like you? I mean , I try to hate everyone on an individual basis.

Rebel Yell
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
What if I'm a racist but I like you? I mean , I try to hate everyone on an individual basis.

Are you a white conservative who believes everyone should work for what they get? Then the answer is yes.

Zafod
08-06-2008, 05:45 PM
so where the hell did pinkeye run off too?

Zathras
05-25-2009, 02:59 AM
Blah, blah, blah.

Fixed.

Nothing like a little thread necromancy to brighten up the day.