PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama Opponents Urge Census Boycott.....

megimoo
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Conservative opponents of the Obama administration are urging supporters to resist the upcoming US census, saying it asks too many questions and reflects increasing government intrusion into private matters.

The census, held every 10 years since 1790, is becoming a focal point for the growing anti-government movement in the US.

The government will endeavour to count every person living in the US, regardless of legal, immigration or citizenship status. The count, which helps determine political representation and the distribution of hundreds of billions of dollars in government funds, is mandated by the constitution.

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, a virulently conservative, anti-Obama Republican from Minnesota, has urged supporters to give only the number of people living in their household, saying nothing more is required by the constitution.

"And I know for my family the only question that we will be answering is how many people are in our home," she told a newspaper. "We won't be answering any information beyond that, because the constitution doesn't require any information beyond that."

Glenn Beck, a Fox News presenter and one of the loudest voices on the American right, attacked the plan to include undocumented immigrants in the count, and said he too would only answer the question on how many people lived in his household.

"Government in the last couple years has not proven itself to accomplish anything, maintain data properly, get money to districts properly," Eric Odom, a prominent organiser in the anti-government "tea party" movement, told the Guardian. "I don't want them to have my private information and I don't trust them to get anything right. If you want to know my name, my age, where I live, you can find that on my website, but to go any further is out of the realm of acceptability."

Michael Johns, a former speechwriter for George Bush Sr, put conservative mistrust of the census down to fears the Obama administration would inappropriately politicise the operation.

"The tea party movement has legitimate concerns about the integrity of the process," Johns said in an interview.

This year's census will ask 10 questions, including name, age, sex, whether the respondent owns or rents a home, and questions about race and ethnicity. The census form does not ask about immigration status, and the information is confidential.

"This is a census that is being conducted in a period of unusual animosity and hostility toward the government," said Kenneth Prewitt, professor of public affairs at Columbia University. "It's not that people are mad at that census, but when you're mad at the government you take it out on whatever is handy."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/29/barack-obama-opponents-census-boycott

Wei Wu Wei
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
lol it's gona be funny when all these anti-government people boycott the census and then they get screwed over in the next redistricting because they aren't being counted.

lacarnut
03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
lol it's gona be funny when all these anti-government people boycott the census and then they get screwed over in the next redistricting because they aren't being counted.

The article states that the only info you have to give is how many people live in your house which everyone here will do. Looks like you need to learn how to read Sparky. Here is a clue for you; it's none of a census worker's fucking business how old I am, what race I am, or any other personal info.

Troll
03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Glenn Beck...said he too would only answer the question on how many people lived in his household.

That's all I plan on giving.

Rockntractor
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
The article states that the only info you have to give is how many people live in your house which everyone here will do. Looks like you need to learn how to read Sparky.
He reads but doesn't comprehend. Too much weed!

noonwitch
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I honestly don't remember what was asked on the census forms in 1990 and 2000 that I filled out. Both times were when I lived in Detroit, and the city puts out a big effort to count as many people as possible (as you undoubtedly all know).

What I do know is this-the only reason Detroit hit 1 million in 1990 is because Coleman Young had some control over the number count, in the end, and probably counted the eternal residents of Elmwood Cemetary among the populations. In 2000, Detroit sunk to around 850,000. This year, it's going to be even lower. Most of the middle class has deserted the city in the past decade, including me and the vast majority of my coworkers.

Gingersnap
03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I got a little heads-up note from the census last night. We haven't decided what we're going to do with it yet. If it's the regular one, we'll probably answer it but I don't know if we would answer the entire ACS form.

BadCat
03-09-2010, 11:02 AM

In only a very short time, you have proven yourself to be one of the least intelligent liberals to ever come in here and shit on the carpet.

Your mother must be proud.

linda22003
03-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I got a little heads-up note from the census last night. We haven't decided what we're going to do with it yet. If it's the regular one, we'll probably answer it but I don't know if we would answer the entire ACS form.

We got that too. "You'll be hearing from us in a week!" Now they've got me all full of anticipation and stuff.

Gingersnap
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
We got that too. "You'll be hearing from us in a week!" Now they've got me all full of anticipation and stuff.

I circled it on the calendar. I just hope I can get my ball gown back from the cleaners in time. :D

Kay
03-09-2010, 01:57 PM

I got that too, and doesn't that just piss you off. The cost of doing the census is enormous as it is. When I saw that letter in my mailbox, I thought it was the actual census. Then when I saw it was just a notice that I'd get my census in about a week I wondered to myself just how much was spent on paper, printing and delivery of this pre-census notice going out to everyone, on top of the paper, printing and deliver of the real deal. I swear the g'vmt tries really hard to go out of their way to spend the maximum amount possible on everything it does. :mad:

fettpett
03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I got that too, and doesn't that just piss you off. The cost of doing the census is enormous as it is. When I saw that letter in my mailbox, I thought it was the actual census. Then when I saw it was just a notice that I'd get my census in about a week I wondered to myself just how much was spent on paper, printing and delivery of this pre-census notice going out to everyone, on top of the paper, printing and deliver of the real deal. I swear the g'vmt tries really hard to go out of their way to spend the maximum amount possible on everything it does. :mad:

I agree...I was actually just getting on to post something similar. WTF is the sense in mailing out 300 million pieces of paper saying we're going to mail you the cenus form in a week... fucking dumbasses

CorwinK
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
man, its amazing what things i miss when im on deployment...ive already told my wife to simply put down how many people live in the house and thats it. The feds have a problem with it they can talk to me when i return home.