PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rather: 'Articulate' Obama Couldn't Even 'Sell Watermelons'

PoliCon
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
By Geoffrey Dickens (Bio | Archive)
Mon, 03/08/2010 - 14:41 ET

HDNet's Dan Rather stepped on one mine after another in the racial minefield that exists when talking about the nation's first black President as the former CBS anchor, on the syndicated Chris Matthews Show over the weekend, uttered the following take on the President's ability to get health care passed and how the GOP and independents would view it. [audio available here]

DAN RATHER: Part of the undertow in the coming election is going to be President Obama's leadership. And the Republicans will make a case and a lot of independents will buy this argument. "Listen he just hasn't been, look at the health care bill. It was his number one priority. It took him forever to get it through and he had to compromise it to death." And a version of, "Listen he's a nice person, he's very articulate" this is what's been used against him, "but he couldn't sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic."

While Rather may not have been being intentionally racist one has to wonder what the reaction would be if a conservative had used similiar language on the show. Earlier Rather called the current legislation a "Republican health care bill" as seen in the following exchange as it was aired on the March 8th Chris Matthews Show:

http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/checker.aspx?v=Xd8zuz8znz

Gingersnap
03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
This is a stupid liberal trick but it will get more traction up here. ;)

PoliCon
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Well - we need a forum for this kind of thing . . . . But can you believe that he used watermelon? Of course - some here won't see anything wrong with what he said . . .

Gingersnap
03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Well - we need a forum for this kind of thing . . . . But can you believe that he used watermelon? Of course - some here won't see anything wrong with what he said . . .

Well, maybe he meant it like 'green on the outside, red on the inside'. :D

Rockntractor
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM

He is liberal so his intentions are pure!:rolleyes:

patriot45
03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd buy the watermelon...... if it was spiked with vodka! :D

Gingersnap
03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
I'd buy the watermelon...... if it was spiked with vodka! :D

Most of us would. Gin is a better choice for me but then I'm "diverse".

patriot45
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Most of us would. Gin is a better choice for me but then I'm "diverse".

Kumbaya! Gin and vodka watermelon, I'm all inclusive!

NJCardFan
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm just going to sit back and wait for the libs to tell us what he meant by that.

Kay
03-09-2010, 06:45 AM
What's wrong with it is the fact that this is the first time I've heard of this story and his comments. BUT, had this been a Republican it would have been splashed across every major newspaper headline on page 1.

The blatant double standard is the problem with stories like this. :mad:

AmPat
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Waiting for the liberal media response of outrage in three, two,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, *snoring*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

stsinner
03-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Now blacks selling watermelons is a stereotype? :confused: I had no idea blacks liked to sell watermelons...

Rockntractor
03-09-2010, 11:09 PM
http://www.politifake.org/image/political/1003/wheres-dan-rather-at-obamafail-political-poster-1268186177.jpg

lacarnut
03-10-2010, 12:12 AM
What's wrong with it is the fact that this is the first time I've heard of this story and his comments. BUT, had this been a Republican it would have been splashed across every major newspaper headline on page 1.

The blatant double standard is the problem with stories like this. :mad:

Right. Negroes like Jessie, grease ball Al and others would be coming out of the wood-works had a Repub mentioned watermelon in the same sentence with Obummer.

Swampfox
03-10-2010, 12:14 AM
The most hilarious thing about the clip is that as soon as Rather said "watermelons" Chris Mathews and whomever else was in the studio started talking to try to drown him out. :D

Speedy
03-10-2010, 12:25 AM
The most hilarious thing about the clip is that as soon as Rather said "watermelons" Chris Mathews and whomever else was in the studio started talking to try to drown him out. :D

That wasn't a tingle running Matthews legs right then. A true pants filling event.

NJCardFan
03-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Just look at the outrage over that guy who sent out the Michelle/Chimp picture. He's losing his job over it.

ralph wiggum
03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
http://www.politifake.org/image/political/1003/wheres-dan-rather-at-obamafail-political-poster-1268186177.jpg

ROFL!!! :D

PoliCon
03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-rather/watermelons-washington-an_b_492890.html

. . . I was talking about Obama and health care and I used the analogy of selling watermelons by the side of the road. It's an expression that stretches to my boyhood roots in Southeast Texas, when country highways were lined with stands manned by sellers of all races. Now of course watermelons have become a stereotype for African Americans and so my analogy entered a charged environment. I'm sorry people took offense.

But anyone who knows me personally or knows my professional career would know that race was not on my mind. Reporting on the injustices of race was part of the reason I became a reporter. I grew up in segregated Texas on the same side of the tracks as the African American community. At the time, enlightened people called them Negros. Many people called them much worse. When I covered the Civil Rights movement, I saw sheer hatred in ways that still haunt and shock me. For doing my small part in reporting on the South in the 1960s, I was called a traitor to my roots and other names not fit for print. I was threatened with death by people who would have welcomed me to their church on Sunday on account of my white skin if they didn't know what I was there to do. I do not take this issue lightly.

I can understand why someone who just happened upon my comments could take offense or want clarification. But what has caused this comment to "go viral" is the trumpeting of an online and cable echo chamber that claims the banner of news but trades in gossip, gotcha, and innuendo. Furthermore, even for those who brook no prejudice, when everything is condensed to 140 characters or a small YouTube clip, many people who got this "news" did so without any context, just a headline that popped up on their phone or inbox.

I know that there are many people who are reading this who have preconceived notions about me. I am sure that the comments section will be filled with a gamut of First Amendment expressions. That is our precious right as Americans. Politics has always been part sport, and if my choice of language falls into the bloody heavyweight bout that has become life in Washington today, so be it. Chris' show is a fun, freewheeling political talk show and I enjoy coming to Washington to participate. Our republic has flourished because we as citizens can be provocative in our political discussions and challenge our leaders and our own assumptions. There is a time and place for this, but it can't be allowed to dominate what we call news.

What saddens me is what this experience has made all too clear. Much of what we call news, isn't. Much of what we Tweet, or post, or chat away at under the guise of news, are distractions.

So . . . Dan's answer to his comments? Blame the 'new media.' TYPICAL. :rolleyes:

stsinner
03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
It's really getting old hearing people have to defend a comment that wasn't meant as a racist comment in any way and beg forgiveness.. He didn't say anything about EATING watermelons, which is the stereotypical "slur." You've got a guy being forced to resign for using the word niggardly properly in front of some ignorant black men a few years ago, and now this.. The stupid thin-skinned, heightened sense of offense environment we're living in today is bullshit..

Speedy
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
It's really getting old hearing people have to defend a comment that wasn't meant as a racist comment in any way and beg forgiveness...

It's like he said, "He couldn't sell fried chicken and malt liquor in the hood" or anything. :D

fettpett
03-10-2010, 07:01 PM
It's really getting old hearing people have to defend a comment that wasn't meant as a racist comment in any way and beg forgiveness.. He didn't say anything about EATING watermelons, which is the stereotypical "slur." You've got a guy being forced to resign for using the word niggardly properly in front of some ignorant black men a few years ago, and now this.. The stupid thin-skinned, heightened sense of offense environment we're living in today is bullshit..

thing is, If he has to defend his comments that much then he meant it as a racist comment. fuck him though...If he can't act like a responsible Journalist and gets himself fired over it then it's his own damn ignorance and stupidity. this just drove the point home

Rockntractor
03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
I heard a comment on the news tonight, the newscaster said Obama was out drumming up support for the health care bill. African American president "drumming" up support? Oh noes!

fettpett
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
wonder if he was doing his "drumming" with fried chicken legs