PDA

View Full Version : Assemblyman seeking to ban all salt in restaurant cooking

Gingersnap
03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Assemblyman seeking to ban all salt in restaurant cooking

March 10, 2010 at 11:59 am by Steve Barnes, senior writer
A new bill in the state Assembly would ruin restaurant food and baked goods as we know them.

In a deeply misguided gesture that is also an abuse of the legislative process, a New York City Assemblyman is pushing a nanny-state bill that would ban the use of all forms of salt in the preparation and cooking of all restaurant food.

If passed, the measure, introduced Friday by Felix Ortiz, D-Brooklyn, would result in fines of up to $1,000 for each individual addition of salt by restaurant staff, whether before, during or after cooking. Customers would have the option of adding salt when the food is served.

Ortiz admits that prior to introducing the bill he did not research salt’s role in food chemistry, effect on flavor or his bill’s ramifications for the restaurant industry. He tells me he was prompted to introduce the bill because his father used salt excessively for many years, developed high blood pressure and had a heart attack.

“I think salt should be banned in restaurants. I ask if a dish has salt in it, and if I does, I get something else that doesn’t have salt,” Ortiz tells me, before going on to say that he has and expects he will continue to eat, other other things, ham, cheese and bread in restaurants, all of which contain salt.

This could only be stupidier if he was also calling for a ban on blue decor in restaurants because it makes him feel sad. :mad:

Times union (http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopping/13889/assemblyman-seeking-to-ban-all-salt-in-restaurant-cooking/)

lacarnut
03-10-2010, 01:16 PM
He would get strung up in Louisiana with that stupidity. Makes me hungry for crawdads or boiled shrimp.

linda22003
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
He's obviously never prepared a meal in his life, but his mama should smack him with a wooden spoon.

Speedy
03-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Jeez! I don't know what the fuck I am talking about but I am going to put up a bill.

noonwitch
03-10-2010, 01:26 PM
He could always open his own restaurant that features no salt menu items!

There's a restaurant in Warren near my church that advertises healthy food, they do pretty well. It's not a vegetarian place, although they have vegetarian items, low-salt items, low-fat items, and so on. It's owned by a retired doctor.

Gingersnap
03-10-2010, 01:37 PM
He could always open his own restaurant that features no salt menu items!

We already have that. We call it 'The Arctic'.

Rockntractor
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
It's time, set up the guillotine, lop a few heads off and mount them on stakes to warn the other politicians and bureaucrats. just five or six of them would be sufficient!

megimoo
03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
It's time, set up the guillotine, lop a few heads off and mount them on stakes to warn the other politicians and bureaucrats. just five or six of them would be sufficient!Be careful, Big Sister is reading our script !

MyFoodMyChoice
03-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Sign the petition today to protect your right to make your own food choices.

MyFoodMyChoice.org

Gingersnap
03-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Sign the petition today to protect your right to make your own food choices.

MyFoodMyChoice.org

Most of us don't live in NYC. :D

Rockntractor
03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Be careful, Big Sister is reading our script !

I have an open carry guillotine license.:D

papabull
03-11-2010, 08:22 AM
And some people wonder why I wouldn't piss on a democrat if they were on fire. Go figure, huh?

By ARUN KRISTIAN DAS / MyFox New York

MYFOXNY.COM - Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129 , states in part.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz , D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.

"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

Nathan is part of the group My Food My Choice , which calls itself a coalition of chefs, restaurant owners, and consumers, called the proposed law "absurd" in a press release issued on its Facebook page.

Ortiz has said the salt ban would allow restaurant patrons to decide how salty they want their meals to be.

"In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said, according to a Nation's Restaurant News report.

But many chefs and restaurant owners said they are tired of politicians dictating what they can serve and what people can eat. They have opposed the city's anti-sodium and anti-transfat campaigns.

"Chefs would be handcuffed in their food preparation, and many are already in open rebellion over this legislation," said Orit Sklar, of My Food My Choice. "Ortiz and fellow anti-salt zealot Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City seek to undermine the food and restaurant business in the entire state."

The American Heart Association encourages Americans to reduce their sodium intake and has advocated the reduction of sodium used by food manufacturers and restaurants by 50 percent over a 10-year period.

noonwitch
03-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Most of us don't live in NYC. :D

I doubt this will pass in a city known for it's coney dogs, pizza, and bagels with lox.