PDA

View Full Version : Off to Kuwait

Odysseus
08-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm TDY to Kuwait for a week on a PDSS/LDR's Recon for one of our training units. Don't know how much computer access I'll have whilie I'm there, but hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics. If not, I'll do it when I get back. Until then, Ciao.

LibraryLady
08-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Your message brings back memories. My Mom used to say "Speak English not Army!" .

Be safe, hope the heat isn't unbearable. Let us hear from you when you get a chance.

Sonnabend
08-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Safe journey, sir

SarasotaRepub
08-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Don't let the Camel Spiders get ya. :D

Safe trip!

megimoo
08-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm TDY to Kuwait for a week on a PDSS/LDR's Recon for one of our training units. Don't know how much computer access I'll have whilie I'm there, but hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics. If not, I'll do it when I get back. Until then, Ciao.Go with GOD and keep your head down !

Odysseus
08-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Your message brings back memories. My Mom used to say "Speak English not Army!" .
Be safe, hope the heat isn't unbearable. Let us hear from you when you get a chance.

Safe journey, sir

Don't let the Camel Spiders get ya. :D
Safe trip!

Go with GOD and keep your head down !

Thanks for the kind thoughts, all, but Kuwait is about 100X safer than Iraq, or Newark, NJ, for that matter. My biggest risk is nodding off in a briefing from the jetlag. I got in last night and I'm typing from the air-conditioned splendor of the Arifjan PX/library computer room. It is really hot, though. I was told that it was 120 degrees today, but because it's so dry, it only feels like 119. Tomorrow I head up north to a couple of the other camps, then back down here and then home. If this trip were any shorter, it would have been completely useless. As it is, we have just enough time to get our RFIs answered and make the return flight.

Ciao all.

Elspeth
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts, all, but Kuwait is about 100X safer than Iraq, or Newark, NJ, for that matter. My biggest risk is nodding off in a briefing from the jetlag. I got in last night and I'm typing from the air-conditioned splendor of the Arifjan PX/library computer room. It is really hot, though. I was told that it was 120 degrees today, but because it's so dry, it only feels like 119. Tomorrow I head up north to a couple of the other camps, then back down here and then home. If this trip were any shorter, it would have been completely useless. As it is, we have just enough time to get our RFIs answered and make the return flight.

Ciao all.

Have a safe trip. And be careful out there.

PB2012
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I would just like to say thank you and god bless.

Zafod
08-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Been there, done that.

Have fun bud.

asdf2231
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Godspeed and take care bud!

Shannon
08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Godspeed and take care bud!

Ditto!:)

LibraryLady
08-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts, all, but Kuwait is about 100X safer than Iraq, or Newark, NJ, for that matter.

I was worried that you might be flying Qantas.......

just teasing you sonna, my Dad LOVED that airline.:D

Odysseus
08-07-2008, 07:50 AM
I was worried that you might be flying Qantas.......
just teasing you sonna, my Dad LOVED that airline.:D

I've never flown Qantas, but there is a large Australian contingent here. They're augmenting us at a number of the bases and I've seen a few of them in the DFAC at Arifjan and Ali Al Saleem. Good guys, even if they're suffering from Foster's withdrawal due to General Order 1A, but they're making the best of it. It's funny to hear Waltzing Matilda sung sober, though... :D

Molon Labe
08-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm TDY to Kuwait for a week on a PDSS/LDR's Recon for one of our training units. Don't know how much computer access I'll have whilie I'm there, but hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics. If not, I'll do it when I get back. Until then, Ciao.

Take care.

SaintLouieWoman
08-07-2008, 11:30 PM
I would just like to say thank you and god bless.
I echo those thoughts. I'll never complain about our heat after hearing what you said. Of course, we have the humidity.

Thank you for your service.

Odysseus
08-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I echo those thoughts. I'll never complain about our heat after hearing what you said. Of course, we have the humidity.
Thank you for your service.

Thanks.

What a week. We finished our briefings and I got to LSA Ali Al Saleem a day out so that I could get more information on the mission sets for the unit that we're training. Then, when the rest of my team arrived, we went through customs and were put into lockdown for about eight hours, then bused out to the airport for our ride back. Now, in order to get from Kuwait to FT Hood, I had to take a flight that terminates at McGuire AFB in New Jersey, then take a bus to Philadelphia to get on a commercial flight that will leave tomorrow morning. When all is said and done, I will have been in transit from Saturday morning until Monday afternoon, with most of the time spent waiting for transportation that was supposedly scheduled in advance. I've found that if I try to think of myself as cargo, instead of as a passenger, it makes the hassles easier to take, and for the most part, this was true. But, at one of the stops (which I will not name), the people who have been doing this for several years now were so completely clueless that one of the passengers, an O6, actually got in the 1SG's face over it. I've seen crap fights in the monkey house that were better organized than those guys were. The good news is that I'll be back at FT Hood tomorrow.

marinejcksn
08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Godspeed Sir!