PDA

View Full Version : Bank of America Apologises for Repossessing Parrot

megimoo
03-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Forty-six-year-old Angela Iannelli sued the bank on Monday. She claims her mortgage was up-to-date when one of the banking giant's contractors damaged furniture, took her pet parrot, Luke, and padlocked her door in October.

In a statement, the bank said it ''sincerely apologises'' and has tried for months to resolve the issue. -snip- The woman, who lives in the Pittsburgh area, said she eventually got her bird back after repeated calls to the bank.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7410896/Bank-of-America-apologises-for-repossessing-parrot.html

Apocalypse
03-11-2010, 07:34 AM
I live in a small town here in Iowa, and for a few years BoA was one of only two banks here in town when they bought out one of the smaller family owned banks. Talk about a joke of a bank. In the two or three years they were here, they treated me like they knew what to do with my money in the bank more then I did and was continuously changing my accounts without even asking me. Only reason I stayed with them was the other bank was a tiny local owned bank, and if I was on a trip, I had no way to get cash if I needed it.

FlaGator
03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
I live in a small town here in Iowa, and for a few years BoA was one of only two banks here in town when they bought out one of the smaller family owned banks. Talk about a joke of a bank. In the two or three years they were here, they treated me like they knew what to do with my money in the bank more then I did and was continuously changing my accounts without even asking me. Only reason I stayed with them was the other bank was a tiny local owned bank, and if I was on a trip, I had no way to get cash if I needed it.

There are horror stories with any large company. By and large the Bank of America has a very high customer satisfaction rating. There have been some slip up recently be cause of the Merryl Lynch aquisition but not nearly as bad as some expected. I have no idea why your accounts where changing. You mean like new account numbers or different account types? I am curious. I work as a consultant for BofA in the Global Fulfillment Group and I don't really deal with personal or small business accounts but I could pass you the story of your troubles on to someone who can assist or explain things.

Apocalypse
03-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Changed the type of account set up I had twice. First time was account number changes. Not that big execpt it forced me to buy all new checks. Basically an expense I didn't need.

The second time I had a free checking with limited account access. As long as I kept 2k in the account, and wrote no more then 3 checks a month I didn't have to pay a fee. I had this as I was still in school, and was writing a couple of checks a month. Without even asking me, or informing me before they changed it, they changed it over to one that charged me a fee and had different requirements. They said they were doing it because they were doing away with that services in my area. I was pissed. To me, its my money, I don't care whats going on, but if changes like what kind of services I will be getting need to be made, inform me first, inform me of other choices I can choose from, and let me make that decision. Don't just make that decision for me. Because at the end of the day, it remains my money. And I made that point when I walked out of their bank with the bulk of my money.

Their gone here in town now. I wasn't the only customer they lost. Many others left as interest paid on accounts were next to nothing compared to other banks. They sold off the branch here to US bank almost 8 years ago.

FlaGator
03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Changed the type of account set up I had twice. First time was account number changes. Not that big execpt it forced me to buy all new checks. Basically an expense I didn't need.

The second time I had a free checking with limited account access. As long as I kept 2k in the account, and wrote no more then 3 checks a month I didn't have to pay a fee. I had this as I was still in school, and was writing a couple of checks a month. Without even asking me, or informing me before they changed it, they changed it over to one that charged me a fee and had different requirements. They said they were doing it because they were doing away with that services in my area. I was pissed. To me, its my money, I don't care whats going on, but if changes like what kind of services I will be getting need to be made, inform me first, inform me of other choices I can choose from, and let me make that decision. Don't just make that decision for me. Because at the end of the day, it remains my money. And I made that point when I walked out of their bank with the bulk of my money.

Their gone here in town now. I wasn't the only customer they lost. Many others left as interest paid on accounts were next to nothing compared to other banks. They sold off the branch here to US bank almost 8 years ago.

Those are issues that are mismanagement at the branch level. Sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing. If they changed your account numbers without your consent then they should have covered your costs for new checks and any other expenses that incurred. I am sorry you have had this difficulties. I do feel that the BofA does their level best to keep this stuff down to a minimum, but as with any big organization, things get lost in the shuffle. Often in an attempt to be all things to all people a company will end up dissatisfying everyone.