PDA

View Full Version : Miss. prom canceled after lesbian's date request

Gingersnap
03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Miss. prom canceled after lesbian's date request

By Chris Joyner, USA TODAY

JACKSON, Miss. A Mississippi county school board announced Wednesday it would cancel its upcoming prom after a gay student petitioned to bring a same-sex date to the event.
"Due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events, the Itawamba County School District has decided to not host a prom at Itawamba Agricultural High School this year," school board members said in a statement.

Constance McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at Itawamba, recently challenged a school policy prohibiting her from bringing her girlfriend as her date to the April 2 prom. McMillen, who is a lesbian, and the Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union urged school officials to reverse the policy both on McMillen's choice of date and attire. She also wanted to wear a tuxedo to the dance.

ACLU attorney Christine Sun said her organization receives requests for help every year from students facing anti-gay prom policies. The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where attitudes toward sexuality are more conservative, she said.

In the announcement, the school board encouraged the community to organize a private prom. "It is our hope that private citizens will organize an event for the juniors and seniors. "We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes anyone," the statement concluded. School officials did not respond to calls seeking comment.

The announcement alarmed McMillen.

"Oh, my God. That's really messed up because the message they are sending is that if they have to let gay people go to prom that they are not going to have one," she said. "A bunch of kids at school are really going to hate me for this."

LOL! That's the funniest thing I've read in a week! :D

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-10-noprom_N.htm?csp=hf)

linda22003
03-11-2010, 10:51 AM
"Itawamba Agricultural High School" in Mississippi? What do they graduate, sharecroppers?

linda22003
03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
"The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where attitudes toward sexuality are more conservative".

I guess this means the old fashioned, traditional blowjob in the back seat of the limo on prom night. :p

Rebel Yell
03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
"The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where people believe what they believe and don't really give a shit if others like it or not.".

fixed

FlaGator
03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
"Oh, my God. That's really messed up because the message they are sending is that if they have to let gay people go to prom that they are not going to have one," she said. "A bunch of kids at school are really going to hate me for this."

It's sad that she has to go through all this, but she should have realized that if you plan on standing up for what you preceive as your rights then you had better get use to some people hating you.

noonwitch
03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
"The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where attitudes toward sexuality are more conservative".

I guess this means the old fashioned, traditional blowjob in the back seat of the limo on prom night. :p

I didn't go to my prom, because I wasn't dating anyone my senior year, but from what my friends told me, the old fashioned traditional blowjob was replaced with old fashioned coitus, and it occurred at the beach, not in the car.

Prom-the reason they make maternity clothes in junior sizes!

Gingersnap
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Given all of the problems that are now associated with proms, there's probably no good reason for schools to host them. Aside from the drunken sex, drunken driving, and drunken fighting, you now also have the problem of the price tag. Proms aren't just a fancy dress dance now. They are stages for absolutely ridiculous conspicuous consumption.

Rockntractor
03-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Schools should be funded by the parents of the children and the parents should then be allowed to vote on the policies of the individual schools.

linda22003
03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Schools should be funded by the parents of the children and the parents should then be allowed to vote on the policies of the individual schools.

As a non-parent, I say amen and amen. Instead, parents not only want the taxpayer funded public schools, but taxpayer funded vouchers in case they don't like the schools.

Speedy
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
The announcement alarmed McMillen.

About time the little dyke learned the difference between TOLERANCE and ACCEPTANCE. That is what gets me about these queer as a football bat people. They do not care to be tolerated. If you just don't care if they are gay or not is not enough. They want everyone praising and cheering the fact that they are gay.

FeebMaster
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
About time the little dyke learned the difference between TOLERANCE and ACCEPTANCE. That is what gets me about these queer as a football bat people. They do not care to be tolerated. If you just don't care if they are gay or not is not enough. They want everyone praising and cheering the fact that they are gay.

Pretty sure they just wanted to go to the prom, man.

Megaguns91
03-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Dances here are organized and paid for by the ASB - Associated Student Body. AKA: The kids pay for it outa their own pockets. Organize a school government and everything, car washes, student store, bake sale. The kids set the rules, too. "Face to Face, leave some space", no drinking, ASB president when I was a senior called the sherrifs dept a week beforehand and had sherrif's deputies on scene with breathalizers to get rid of the troublemakers. Bottom line is, we all just wanted to dance and dress up and were sick of a**hats ruining it for us.

FlaGator
03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
She seems to have a choice to either

a)do what was right for herself or
b) take one from the team (i.e. classmates).

It would seem that she decided that her wishes trumped the desires of others. I'm not judging what she did as right or wrong but perhaps a little bit more discernment would have caused her to choose a more important battle to fight.

Speedy
03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Pretty sure they just wanted to go to the prom, man.

No, she wanted to go to the AND take her carpet munching girlfriend with her or have NOBODY go to the prom. One of them was even going to wear a tux for Christ's sake. She had the attitude that if anyone didn't like it, they could just not go. Why did she just not apply the same rules to herself and just not show up if she did not like it.

You know how she really fucked herself on this one? I am sure she was tolerated at her school, maybe even accepted by the other kids. But now she is just that dyke kunt to everyone. Good Job!

FeebMaster
03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
No, she wanted to go to the AND take her carpet munching girlfriend with her or have NOBODY go to the prom. One of them was even going to wear a tux for Christ's sake. She had the attitude that if anyone didn't like it, they could just not go. Why did she just not apply the same rules to herself and just not show up if she did not like it.

You know how she really fucked herself on this one? I am sure she was tolerated at her school, maybe even accepted by the other kids. But now she is just that dyke kunt to everyone. Good Job!

A tux? How scandalous!

I'd hope the other kids could see that it's the school board that's responsible for canceling the thing, but given the state of public education these days, you're probably right. On the bright side, some of the will hopefully learn a valuable lesson on the nature of government.

linda22003
03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
A tux? How scandalous!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/25/article-0-00778AE000000258-866_306x363.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Speedy, your language is beyond crude and offensive. Knock it off. I haven't said much til this point, but you just keep pushing the limits.

Besides, you can't even spell the _unt word correctly. :rolleyes:

Don't want to have to say anything else about this. Just watch the language.

I realize you spelled the "c" word to get around any prohibitions---but people got the drift. Enough is enough.

fettpett
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/25/article-0-00778AE000000258-866_306x363.jpg

thats hot :D

but on topic...what she should have done is just kept her mouth shut and bought 2 tickets and with with her girlfriend. there are Lots of single girls and guys that go as a group or in pairs. what difference would it have made. besides that they would have danced together and held hands...

Rebel Yell
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
If they are hot, I bet alot of the boys would have bought their tickets for them. If they are not, then that's just nasty.:D

Rebel Yell
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Speedy, your language is beyond crude and offensive. Knock it off. I haven't said much til this point, but you just keep pushing the limits.

Besides, you can't even spell the _unt word correctly. :rolleyes:

Don't want to have to say anything else about this. Just watch the language.

I realize you spelled the "c" word to get around any prohibitions---but people got the drift. Enough is enough.

I think Speedy's been off his meds for the last couple weeks.

Apache
03-11-2010, 05:07 PM
A tux? How scandalous!

I'd hope the other kids could see that it's the school board that's responsible for canceling the thing, but given the state of public education these days, you're probably right. On the bright side, some of the will hopefully learn a valuable lesson on the nature of government.

Get over yourself! The prom being cancelled was entirely her fault, not the school board's. She wanted the majority to bend to her will and it bit her on the back-side...

Actions, meet Consequences...

FeebMaster
03-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Get over yourself! The prom being cancelled was entirely her fault, not the school board's. She wanted the majority to bend to her will and it bit her on the back-side...

Actions, meet Consequences...

That's an ironic post coming from someone with that particular Reagan quote as a signature.

The girls had no power to cancel the prom. It was entirely in the hands of the school board.

They could have just showed up. Instead they tried to get the rule changed. Hopefully the girls have learned the error of their ways.

FlaGator
03-11-2010, 05:24 PM
That's an ironic post coming from someone with that particular Reagan quote as a signature.

The girls had no power to cancel the prom. It was entirely in the hands of the school board.

They could have just showed up. Instead they tried to get the rule changed. Hopefully the girls have learned the error of their ways.

They had the power to force some to make the decision. Now instead of couple of people being disappointed, everyone is disappointed so I guess that makes it alright. Equality in action.

Apache
03-11-2010, 05:39 PM

They could have just showed up. 1) Instead they tried to get the rule changed. Hopefully the girls have learned the error of their ways.

1)McMillen, who is a lesbian, and the Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union urged school officials to reverse the policy both on McMillen's choice of date and attire. She also wanted to wear a tuxedo to the dance.

You do know the ACLU, Right? You know, those "people" who bring out lawsuits faster than Dominos can make pizzas...

The school board was in a no win situation. Relent and face angry parents/students, or stand firm and and let the court decide, and pull tax funds away from education...

If they really wanted to go, they go stag and meet there. That was not the real intention, and you know it.

FlaGator
03-11-2010, 05:49 PM
1)McMillen, who is a lesbian, and the Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union urged school officials to reverse the policy both on McMillen's choice of date and attire. She also wanted to wear a tuxedo to the dance.

You do know the ACLU, Right? You know, those "people" who bring out lawsuits faster than Dominos can make pizzas...

The school board was in a no win situation. Relent and face angry parents/students, or stand firm and and let the court decide, and pull tax funds away from education...

If they really wanted to go, they go stag and meet there. That was not the real intention, and you know it.

I was kind of falling for this until I realized the significance of the Tux. This wasn't about two girls in love with each other going to the prom, it was about going to the prom and flaunting their alternate sexuality. They could have easily approached the principal and said "we want to go to the prom together, we'll blend right in and we'll be really cool about things." That is not what they wanted. The whole purpose was to stir this thing up and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the ACLU and whatever LGBT group is around that city got together and cooked this scheme up using the girls has food for the machine.

The gay agenda is all that matters to many of the LGBT crowd and it doesn't matter to them if a couple of girls can't go to the prom or a whole school of seniors can't go to the prom. They are not the ones losing out. The made their point and that is all that matters.

hazlnut
03-11-2010, 05:51 PM

Not all parents have a background in education, curriculum planning, or child development. -- There are co-op schools, public and private, where parents contribute time and money and have a say in school policy.

As far as the girl in this story -- maybe Mississippi wasn't the place to take a stand. Choose your battles.

Speedy
03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I think Speedy's been off his meds for the last couple weeks.

The voices said I did not need to take them anymore. They also said that ammo was a better investment than meds anyway.

wilbur
03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
She seems to have a choice to either

a)do what was right for herself or
b) take one from the team (i.e. classmates).

It would seem that she decided that her wishes trumped the desires of others. I'm not judging what she did as right or wrong but perhaps a little bit more discernment would have caused her to choose a more important battle to fight.

Her wishes were the same as everyone elses... to go to the prom.

I think you should rethink the issue and perhaps direct your lecture to the school administration - the prom didnt cancel itself.

FeebMaster
03-11-2010, 06:04 PM
They had the power to force some to make the decision. Now instead of couple of people being disappointed, everyone is disappointed so I guess that makes it alright. Equality in action.

They asked. The school board, seeing that their options were limited to letting the girls go to the dance or looking like complete assholes to the entire country chose a third path: Piss everyone off and hope everyone blames the high school girls. Sadly, it appears to have worked.

wilbur
03-11-2010, 06:06 PM

I dunno - if there was anything that ever got students, who would otherwise be at each others throats, to bond at my highschool... it was a mutual hatred of faculty.

FlaGator
03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Her wishes were the same as everyone elses... to go to the prom.

I think you should rethink the issue and perhaps direct your lecture to the school administration - the prom didnt cancel itself.

And she could have done that but she choose another path. No one denied her from going to the prom if she abided by the same rules as everyone else. They did what I would have done.

wilbur
03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I was kind of falling for this until I realized the significance of the Tux. This wasn't about two girls in love with each other going to the prom, it was about going to the prom and flaunting their alternate sexuality. They could have easily approached the principal and said "we want to go to the prom together, we'll blend right in and we'll be really cool about things." That is not what they wanted. The whole purpose was to stir this thing up and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the ACLU and whatever LGBT group is around that city got together and cooked this scheme up using the girls has food for the machine.

The gay agenda is all that matters to many of the LGBT crowd and it doesn't matter to them if a couple of girls can't go to the prom or a whole school of seniors can't go to the prom. They are not the ones losing out. The made their point and that is all that matters.

Again, the prom didnt cancel itself.

FeebMaster
03-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Or, you know, they could have let the girls go, no one would have cared, and we wouldn't even have heard about it. I guess looking like a walking, talking stereotype to half the country is the preferable option.

wilbur
03-11-2010, 06:10 PM
They asked. The school board, seeing that their options were limited to letting the girls go to the dance or looking like complete assholes to the entire country chose a third path: Piss everyone off and hope everyone blames the high school girls. Sadly, it appears to have worked.

Ding, ding... this looks like the most likely scenario.

They could easily forcibly deny entry to the girls if they felt they must, or kick them out if they felt they must, without cancelling the event for the whole student body - but why don't they do that? Because it would probably be an even bigger shitstorm.

So just cancel the prom, blame the girls.

enslaved1
03-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Dunno what the hubub is all about. Everything is perfectly fair and balanced, no has a prom. Like I tweeted this morning, these protesters forget that sometimes fair and equal means no one gets nothin.

Let the couple go like they want? Sure, as soon as the ACLU stops suing over graduation benedictions and prayers, how's that for a good deal?

Final note, so what if prom was canceled? Haven't these kids ever seen Footloose? Do it you're darn self if it's that important to you.

Gingersnap
03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Final note, so what if prom was canceled? Haven't these kids ever seen Footloose? Do it you're darn self if it's that important to you.

From my experience, Prom is only a watershed moment for high school athletes and those poor girls who will never, ever be as thin, cute, or interesting as they are at 18. :p

Articulate_Ape
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I read this story earlier and I think it is absurd. Well, I guess the other kids can get straight to boozing, weed smoking, and fornicating without having to bother with the formalities thanks to these God-fearing folks. Jesus wept.

NJCardFan
03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
For the first time in history, I agree with Wilbur. The choice was, let the girls do as they may or take the prom away from everyone. The opted for the latter. So in the end, everyone is punished. The shame of it is that next to a wedding, a girls of that age look forward to the prom and the prudish board is taking that away from them.