PDA

View Full Version : Development of More Muscular Trout Could Boost Commercial Aquaculture

megimoo
03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
A 10-year effort by a University of Rhode Island scientist to develop transgenic rainbow trout with enhanced muscle growth has yielded fish with what have been described as six-pack abs and muscular shoulders that could provide a boost to the commercial aquaculture industry.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100310113540.htm

Gingersnap
03-11-2010, 10:10 PM
The clip showing these fish is amazing and kind of alarming. These suckers are big.

I have to say that I'd think a bit before eating one.

megimoo
03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
The clip showing these fish is amazing and kind of alarming. These suckers are big.

I have to say that I'd think a bit before eating one.If they were released into the trout streams they would 'own' them in short order.

Rockntractor
03-11-2010, 10:16 PM

I have to say that I'd think a bit before eating one.
They will have to reproduce them artificially, those fish will never get a date!

Gingersnap
03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
If they were released into the trout streams they would 'own' them in short order.

It's an interesting question. Rainbows are all over Colorado but they aren't native. People out here are becoming less thrilled with them in blue ribbon waters. These engineered fish don't look as though they could survive well in the wild - they are just too big for most cold, fast running waters. They'd just eat out the available bugs.

I assume they're thinking of these kinds of fish for aquaculture - not a release in the wild.

Constitutionally Speaking
03-12-2010, 05:58 AM
It's an interesting question. Rainbows are all over Colorado but they aren't native. People out here are becoming less thrilled with them in blue ribbon waters. These engineered fish don't look as though they could survive well in the wild - they are just too big for most cold, fast running waters. They'd just eat out the available bugs.

I assume they're thinking of these kinds of fish for aquaculture - not a release in the wild.

That is what happened with the Asian Carp - but floods in the Mississippi river valley freed them and now threaten the Great Lakes.

djones520
03-12-2010, 06:00 AM
That is what happened with the Asian Carp - but floods in the Mississippi river valley freed them and now threaten the Great Lakes.

They'll probably introduce some new predator species for those. Thats how we got Salmon in the lakes.

megimoo
03-12-2010, 06:44 AM

I have to say that I'd think a bit before eating one.They will give the rainbows in the Columbia River a run for their money .Those things are bigger than the steelhead rainbows at the mouth of the Columbia !