PDA

View Full Version : Forward-looking Friday

linda22003
03-12-2010, 08:24 AM
It's drizzly and grey in the DC area, and warm enough to melt the last vestiges of our big snowstorms. The smell of spring is in the air.

TOTD: How do you (or how did you) decide when to retire? Is there a $ amount you have in mind? An age you have in mind? My target is age 60, but it may be a couple of years longer. My $ is $2 million but a lot depends on the market, inheritances, etc. Does everything have to line up, or do you just say, "Screw it, this is it" ?

Rockntractor
03-12-2010, 09:33 AM
I will work until I can work no more. I enjoy what I do most of the time, minus some of the mud.

linda22003
03-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I don't mind what I do, but it takes a lot of time out of my day. I will retire the MOMENT everything comes together.

Rockntractor
03-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't mind what I do, but it takes a lot of time out of my day. I will retire the MOMENT everything comes together.

In a manner of speaking I did retire six years ago. I quit the manufacturing rat race and invested in equipment. Now I work my hours the way I want to and am my own boss. No more time clock!

Gingersnap
03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
The snow is finally disappearing (for the moment) and some green things are beginning to poke out of the ground. I see spade work in my future.

TOTD: I started planning for retirement about 5 minutes after I started grown-up work. Mr. Snaps and I have a complicated but robust plan for early retirement. When he retires he will focus on his "real" business which involves first editions and antiques. I will bake cookies. :D

linda22003
03-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm with you on that, Ginger. And I have a number of first editions that might interest Mr. Snaps, including "The Great Gatsby" and "The Town and the City" by John Kerouac.

BadCat
03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I can retire pretty much any time I want to. Just don't feel like it right now.

This weekend will be the last performance with my current band, since I'm leaving. They plan to stay together and get another guitarist, but I own the name, so the guys will have to sort of start over with a new name.

They've been a fun bunch and we had a lot of good times.

The last song we will perform (and I actually sing this one with a vocal compressor) will be this...

http://www.sonofind.com/search/html/popup_cddetails_i.php?cdkurz=SCD069425&w=tr&

Click the play button in the "Duration" line to hear it....good old garage rock.

Gingersnap
03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm with you on that, Ginger. And I have a number of first editions that might interest Mr. Snaps, including "The Great Gatsby" and "The Town and the City" by John Kerouac.

He probably would be interested. Too interested. :p

FlaGator
03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I enjoy what I do and I'll probably keep at it in some form or another until I die. I am also looking to go back to school and pick up a theology degree with a minor in philosophy. Perhaps I'll retire and become a priest.

linda22003
03-12-2010, 11:12 AM
He probably would be interested. Too interested. :p

Tell him I also have firsts of "A Death in the Family" by James Agee, the first ten volumes of the Strand Magazine from the 1890s (the first appearances of many of the Sherlock Holmes stories), Queen Victoria's "Leaves from a Journal of Our Life in the Highlands" (and its companion volume, "More Leaves"), "All Quiet on the Western Front", and many others. :)

Gingersnap
03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Tell him I also have firsts of "A Death in the Family" by James Agee, the first ten volumes of the Strand Magazine from the 1890s (the first appearances of many of the Sherlock Holmes stories), Queen Victoria's "Leaves from a Journal of Our Life in the Highlands" (and its companion volume, "More Leaves"), "All Quiet on the Western Front", and many others. :)

I'm not telling him anything. He'd demand to see your catalog and then he'd probably start bidding. My house already looks like the Library of Congress. :D

linda22003
03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
He'd love my catalog - AND it's all in Library of Congress order. :p

Just give me his email and you don't have to even be involved in the whole process.

lacarnut
03-12-2010, 01:28 PM
It is a beautifull sunny warm day in Bayou Land. The weekend is supposed to stay that way.

TOTD: I retired 5 years ago; I enjoyed my job and had a great boss. My dad had a stroke and required around the clock care so my brother and I and the sitter took care of him. A nursing home was never considered.

My finances are in good shape with the house, car paid off and no debt. My bills comprise less than 30% of my income. I have my Aunt's inheritance and oil royalties starting later this year to look forward to.

linda22003
03-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Sounds like good planning, which leads to a good life. :)

SaintLouieWoman
03-12-2010, 11:32 PM
It's drizzly and grey in the DC area, and warm enough to melt the last vestiges of our big snowstorms. The smell of spring is in the air.

TOTD: How do you (or how did you) decide when to retire? Is there a $ amount you have in mind? An age you have in mind? My target is age 60, but it may be a couple of years longer. My $ is $2 million but a lot depends on the market, inheritances, etc. Does everything have to line up, or do you just say, "Screw it, this is it" ?

That's what I did. It's been 10 weeks now. I could have stayed longer, but finally just had enough of sales. Being a government sales rep wasn't working out anymore, with huge budget cuts.

Luckily I had been working toward an escape, so it's working out alright with no house or car payments. We're doing fine.

linda22003
03-13-2010, 06:55 AM
So what do you do with yourself all day, SLW, besides hang out online? People tell me they wouldn't know "what to do with themselves" if they retired, which I think is pathetic. I'd have no trouble filling my days.

SaintLouieWoman
03-13-2010, 10:20 AM
So what do you do with yourself all day, SLW, besides hang out online? People tell me they wouldn't know "what to do with themselves" if they retired, which I think is pathetic. I'd have no trouble filling my days.

I'm online much less than before. At work I was bored to death, so would get online to amuse myself. Now I've got so many things to do, like going to Lifetime Fitness to work out. Also have been busy finally improving the house with a lot of projects. The current one is redoing the kitchen. We're getting granite countertops on. I finally found a handyman from a long time ago, who's a craftsman, to repair the kitchen cabinets. Now we can safely get the new countertops.

It was fate or providence. A former co-worker from a long time ago sent me an email with a pic of her new countertops. She had exactly the same square white ceramic tiles as a backsplash as we have. The new countertop didn't look that greyt next to all those little white squares. I saw the pics an hour before the "granite woman" came for measurements. Have decided to have large 18" granite squres put on the one wall and the tile removed from the others and painted. It's like a dominos, now need to get the kitchen painted. :rolleyes:

RobJohnson
03-13-2010, 01:56 PM
In a manner of speaking I did retire six years ago. I quit the manufacturing rat race and invested in equipment. Now I work my hours the way I want to and am my own boss. No more time clock!

That's the way to do it.

RobJohnson
03-13-2010, 02:01 PM
I can retire pretty much any time I want to. Just don't feel like it right now.

This weekend will be the last performance with my current band, since I'm leaving. They plan to stay together and get another guitarist, but I own the name, so the guys will have to sort of start over with a new name.

They've been a fun bunch and we had a lot of good times.

The last song we will perform (and I actually sing this one with a vocal compressor) will be this...

http://www.sonofind.com/search/html/popup_cddetails_i.php?cdkurz=SCD069425&w=tr&

Click the play button in the "Duration" line to hear it....good old garage rock.

I was not able to get the song to play. :mad:

I thought George Alan O'Dowd owned the name "Boy George." :D

My life is so simple, I would be really bored if I retired. My back does better when I work. It still hurts like hell, but not as bad.

lacarnut
03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm online much less than before. At work I was bored to death, so would get online to amuse myself. Now I've got so many things to do, like going to Lifetime Fitness to work out. Also have been busy finally improving the house with a lot of projects. The current one is redoing the kitchen. We're getting granite countertops on. I finally found a handyman from a long time ago, who's a craftsman, to repair the kitchen cabinets. Now we can safely get the new countertops.

It was fate or providence. A former co-worker from a long time ago sent me an email with a pic of her new countertops. She had exactly the same square white ceramic tiles as a backsplash as we have. The new countertop didn't look that greyt next to all those little white squares. I saw the pics an hour before the "granite woman" came for measurements. Have decided to have large 18" granite squres put on the one wall and the tile removed from the others and painted. It's like a dominos, now need to get the kitchen painted. :rolleyes:

I think I need to either sell this house or buy a condo. After I retired, I thoroughly enjoyed chunking all my furniture and appliances and buying new ones, having the inside and out painted, countertops, new carpet, clocks and wall fixtures. That was a 2 year project. Need to start another one. Also, enjoyed spending money. I will have a landscape project this spring as the cold killed most of my plants. Bunch of damn weeds coming up so they will have to go.

Bubba Dawg
03-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I was not able to get the song to play. :mad:

I thought George Alan O'Dowd owned the name "Boy George." :D

My life is so simple, I would be really bored if I retired. My back does better when I work. It still hurts like hell, but not as bad.

:D

I couldn't play it either. I kept getting pop up windows in German, probably in the imperative mode.

SaintLouieWoman
03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I think I need to either sell this house or buy a condo. After I retired, I thoroughly enjoyed chunking all my furniture and appliances and buying new ones, having the inside and out painted, countertops, new carpet, clocks and wall fixtures. That was a 2 year project. Need to start another one. Also, enjoyed spending money. I will have a landscape project this spring as the cold killed most of my plants. Bunch of damn weeds coming up so they will have to go.

This project is getting bigger. The contractor stopped by today and gave a quote on removing the old ceramic tile, fixing the walls so they can be painted, painting the kitchen and decided to have him paint the hall.

Just returned from the Benjamin Moore paint store. They have a decorator there who's very good with colors. Took a sample of the flooring, color of family room next to the kitchen and granite sample. The painter had suggested a beige lighter than the color in the family room, but she suggested a vaguely green color with some earthtones in it that blends beautifully with the beige. I think an entirely beige house would be way too boring, almost as boring as the kitchen with the white countertops, white cabinets, white walls, white double oven, etc.

You're right, Lacarnut, spending money is indeed fun. :D I'm just trying to get as much work done as possible for as little as possible.

namvet
03-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Corp i worked for started to down size. I had 35 years in. they said take early retirement or get laid off. a no brainer. i retired, signed the papers and smoked my tires gettin outta there. ain't worked a day since. that was 2001