PDA

View Full Version : 'Loser' Child Assignment.

Apocalypse
03-12-2010, 07:06 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/teacher-writes-loser-on-child-s-assignments-18593231

This teacher needs to be fired!

PoliCon
03-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Sometimes you wanna - but you DON'T.

Gingersnap
03-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Is it really better for a kid to believe that they are doing well when they aren't? Sometimes blunt talk is much more effective than sugar-talk.

I talked with my BFF tonight. She has been tutoring reading/language for the past 12 years or so. I tutor math/science. She makes about $60/hour and I make about $45/hour (I do a sliding scale for public school kids). We have both decided to hang it up over this summer. I have a Latin language commitment over next fall for some homeschoolers but that's it.

We decided that not only are the non-homeschoolers getting dumber, the parents are getting too dumb to deal with.

Life isn't "fair". Average people have to work at lot harder than smart people. The basic skill set for "education" is boring. Creativity is totally cool in home decor but it doesn't get you jack in most paycheck jobs.

We're giving up.

Apocalypse
03-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I agree that you don't want to surger coat a failing student. But to write "-20% because your a LOSER!" on an assignment!? Thats not a grade because the child got the assignment wrong, that is a teacher going over the edge of what is right and wrong in teaching. There are far better ways to educate. And best of all, this teacher (SIC) is now claiming it was only a 'Joke' and didn't mean any thing by it.

PoliCon
03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Is it really better for a kid to believe that they are doing well when they aren't? Sometimes blunt talk is much more effective than sugar-talk.

I talked with my BFF tonight. She has been tutoring reading/language for the past 12 years or so. I tutor math/science. She makes about $60/hour and I make about $45/hour (I do a sliding scale for public school kids). We have both decided to hang it up over this summer. I have a Latin language commitment over next fall for some homeschoolers but that's it.

We decided that not only are the non-homeschoolers getting dumber, the parents are getting too dumb to deal with.

Life isn't "fair". Average people have to work at lot harder than smart people. The basic skill set for "education" is boring. Creativity is totally cool in home decor but it doesn't get you jack in most paycheck jobs.

We're giving up.

I deal all the time with parent who want their kids to have A's but do not want their kids to have to work to EARN them. :rolleyes: They think that Sally and Jimmy should get 100% A's just for showing up and are upset that I grade on grammar and penmanship in their history papers. :rolleyes: Oh yes - all of my papers MUST be hand written. I do not accept typed. If you write something - even if you're plagiarizing - your going to learn something from having written it.

Do you enjoy doing the tutoring ginger? Because if you do - perhaps their is a way to continue to do it - without having to deal with retard parents.

PoliCon
03-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I agree that you don't want to surger coat a failing student. But to write "-20% because your a LOSER!" on an assignment!? Thats not a grade because the child got the assignment wrong, that is a teacher going over the edge of what is right and wrong in teaching. There are far better ways to educate. And best of all, this teacher (SIC) is now claiming it was only a 'Joke' and didn't mean any thing by it.

Like I said - sometimes you wanna do just that - but you don't. I failed a kid on a paper once because it was clearly not written in his hand. Turns out - the mother wrote it for him.

BTW -

you don't want to surger coatSugar. :p

OH and

Thats not a gradeThat's ;)

AmPat
03-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Like I said - sometimes you wanna do just that - but you don't. I failed a kid on a paper once because it was clearly not written in his hand. Turns out - the mother wrote it for him.

BTW -

Sugar. :p

OH and
That's ;)

Linda?:confused:

Sonnabend
03-13-2010, 10:17 AM
This is wrong, if there are issues, address them. If there is a problem, attend to it...privately.

Don't care what the teacher meant...it was inappropriate and unprofessional. Years ago I had a music teacher who said to a class out loud that "she had given up on me".

So I got up and walked out in the middle of class. She told me to stop and I ignored her.Told me to come back and I said "You gave up on me, remember?"

I copped hell for it, didn't care. Bitch.

Humiliating a student is a MAJOR no no.

PoliCon
03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
This is wrong, if there are issues, address them. If there is a problem, attend to it...privately.

Don't care what the teacher meant...it was inappropriate and unprofessional. Years ago I had a music teacher who said to a class out loud that "she had given up on me".

So I got up and walked out in the middle of class. She told me to stop and I ignored her.Told me to come back and I said "You gave up on me, remember?"

I copped hell for it, didn't care. Bitch.

Humiliating a student is a MAJOR no no. Oh I don't know. When I was teaching in Ireland - "dressing down" a student in front of the class was expected by student, parents, and administration. If you didn't - you'd lose control. Now what this teacher did was just spiteful and had nothing to do with classroom discipline.

Apocalypse
03-13-2010, 01:42 PM

BTW -

Sugar. :p

OH and
That's ;)

Great... I get a grammar teacher.

To quote Bruce Willis.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English. "

Math, science and history I excelled at. English, scrapped by.

AmPat
03-13-2010, 04:27 PM

To quote Bruce Willis.

"Scrapped?" Grammar and spelling was your Kryptonite then?

Speedy
03-13-2010, 04:54 PM
In high school we had a new young teacher arrive. Mr. Roberts. He walked with a cane having been wounded in Vietnam. We were an unruly bunch with most teachers and thought it would fly with him. Until he ran screaming between the rows of desks in our classroom screaming, "Charlie is in the wire! Charlie is in the wire!" He threw himself on the floor and then he grabbed a student and pulled him down next to him. "Get down, man! Charlie is in the wire!" Then he got up, ran to the head of the class and dove over his desk. A few seconds later he peeked over the desktop, scouted out the room and then stood up, straightened up his tie and continued from where he had left off.

For the rest of the year and the other two years he was there he would have episodes like this every week or two. I swear, no one, not a single one of us wanted to set him off by cutting up in class, back talking or even getting a low grade. When he left, he let everyone know it had been an act!

Sonnabend
03-13-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/littlestory.jpg

PoliCon
03-13-2010, 06:51 PM

To quote Bruce Willis.

No actually - I'm a history teacher. ;)

And I think you mean scraped not scrapped. :D

Gingersnap
03-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Do you enjoy doing the tutoring ginger? Because if you do - perhaps their is a way to continue to do it - without having to deal with retard parents.

I did. I think that I'd prefer to teach to adults now. Life has a way of smartening you up when you've made a lot of poor choices. Adults would be more motivated.

noonwitch
03-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I deal all the time with parent who want their kids to have A's but do not want their kids to have to work to EARN them. :rolleyes: They think that Sally and Jimmy should get 100% A's just for showing up and are upset that I grade on grammar and penmanship in their history papers. :rolleyes: Oh yes - all of my papers MUST be hand written. I do not accept typed. If you write something - even if you're plagiarizing - your going to learn something from having written it.

That's exactly the problem that the good teachers in Detroit are dealing with (the bad teachers deal with nothing). When they try to actually teach the kids and motivate them to perform better, parents get all annoyed because Detroit parents are used to things like "social promotions".

PoliCon
03-15-2010, 09:11 AM
That's exactly the problem that the good teachers in Detroit are dealing with (the bad teachers deal with nothing). When they try to actually teach the kids and motivate them to perform better, parents get all annoyed because Detroit parents are used to things like "social promotions".

Ah yes. During my first student teaching placement - my cooperating teacher and I had a 4 hour argument over social promotion. Can you guess what side I fell on?

Sonnabend
03-15-2010, 09:13 AM
No actually - I'm a history teacher.

I wish you had met mine, Poli, I promise, you would have liked him. In this I was very fortunate. His discussions of Korea, of the Cold War, of the realities of history and the vital part the US has played...he told the truth, no more and no less.

He disliked the US for some things, admired them in others, but when he taught, he simply told us the facts....I remember the day he discussed the Berlin Airlift, and him cackling with joy as he related how the US gave the Russians the middle finger.

No one has ever duplicated that feat.

He hated tyranny, taught us what freedom was, and what it meant...and what it had cost. We spent an entire week on the Holocaust, he wanted to show us a film, and the Headmaster said NO..maybe he was right in retrospect.

The photos were enough to make us ill.

The World at War, The Mighty Continent, the works of Sassoon and Owen, and the careers of Patton and Mongomery. He didnt go into tank warfare all that much, just showed us how it happened. One of our class had a father in the Navy..so our history teacher taught us about Midway....the only one of its kind, and the precursor to modern carrier doctrine.

You would have really liked him. :(

Sonnabend
03-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Cant find it right now, but wasn't at least one of the carriers at Midway also involved in Pearl Harbour?

noonwitch
03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Ah yes. During my first student teaching placement - my cooperating teacher and I had a 4 hour argument over social promotion. Can you guess what side I fell on?

If a kid is in a position where social promotion is being considered, special education also needs to be considered.

PoliCon
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
If a kid is in a position where social promotion is being considered, special education also needs to be considered.

Not so. Most of the students I have had who were looking for social promotion were more than capable - just unwilling.