namvet
03-13-2010, 04:42 PM
http://oldfortyfives.com/decadeofthe1940s.html

how things were so different

Bubba Dawg
03-13-2010, 06:30 PM
http://oldfortyfives.com/decadeofthe1940s.html

how things were so different

I enjoyed that. The movies of the forties and the music of that time were really great.

I like the old cars too.

Articulate_Ape
03-13-2010, 11:13 PM
That was fantastic! Thanks for sharing that, namvet!

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-13-2010, 11:24 PM
You guys would've hated living in the '40s. Come on...You had FDR in the White House from '40 to '45 and Truman from '45 to '49

Articulate_Ape
03-13-2010, 11:28 PM
You guys would've hated living in the '40s. Come on...You had FDR in the White House from '40 to '45 and Truman from '45 to '49

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/SHUT_THE.jpg

Seriously though, how old are you?

ColonialMarine0431
03-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Here are some rare 1940's color pictures.

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/result.do?display=thumbcap&action=search&query=%22new+york%22&page=5&pagesize=20

And even earlier...

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5010

Rockntractor
03-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Even the progressives were far more conservative than you back then. They weren't to cowardly to fight a war that needed to be fought.

Articulate_Ape
03-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Here are some rare 1940's color pictures.

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/result.do?display=thumbcap&action=search&query=%22new+york%22&page=5&pagesize=20

And even earlier...

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5010

OMG! These photos are great! Thanks!

Kay
03-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Great find CM, I enjoyed seeing those photos. :)
Especially the b/w ones from the 1800s.

ColonialMarine0431
03-14-2010, 12:25 AM
My pleasure.

I collect old photos. I love seeing America as it used to be.

Simpler times.

lacarnut
03-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks, those were great.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 12:50 AM

19. But seriously though, you guys cry about Obama and you guys cried about how evil Clinton was in the '90s...I don't think you could've lived through FDR and Truman without ending up in asylum.

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 12:52 AM
19. But seriously though, you guys cry about Obama and you guys cried about how evil Clinton was in the '90s...I don't think you could've lived through FDR and Truman without ending up in asylum.

And your a dumbass!

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 01:00 AM

And your a dumbass!

Well I mean you guys are pining for the '40s, when the GOP was out of the White House and you had one of the most liberal presidents ever for the first half of the decade and a super liberal president for the second half.

Sonnabend
03-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Well I mean you guys are pining for the '40s, when the GOP was out of the White House and you had one of the most liberal presidents ever for the first half of the decade and a super liberal president for the second half.Back then: a dollar had value
A man could keep and bear arms and the government encouraged it..and he was left alone
And the best reason is that back then, your ass would be in uniform, teaching you a little loyalty and respect for your own country

Whats your DU name?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Back then: a dollar had value
A man could keep and bear arms and the government encouraged it..and he was left alone
And the best reason is that back then, your ass would be in uniform, teaching you a little loyalty and respect for your own country

Whats your DU name?

The dollar still has value, diminished, yes...But...That's the fault of various presidents since. One could blame GOP President Nixon who ended the Bretton Woods system.
Oh great, violent felons and psychopaths having access to guns. Yay! And I can get a gun rather easily seeing as I have a clean record. You broke the law? Too bad.
And post 1945, there was no war, thus no great need to be 'in uniform.' And there were plenty of men who didn't fight. Not every man between the age of 18 and 35 fought in WWII.
I don't post at DU, nor have an account there.

ColonialMarine0431
03-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Well I mean you guys are pining for the '40s, when the GOP was out of the White House and you had one of the most liberal presidents ever for the first half of the decade and a super liberal president for the second half.

Dude. It's all about how America woke up and became a Superpower. Regardless of Roosevelt. Get a clue. Before Pearl we were innocent. After Pearl this Nation rose up and beat the whole fascist world. There is NOTHING we can't do when united.

Hell ,Dorie Miller, fired a 50 caliber Browning anti-aircraft machine gun for 15 minutes during the attack until he ran out of ammo. Ordinarily this is not unusual - except that Dorie was the Ships Cook!

Now THAT'S an American

Articulate_Ape
03-14-2010, 01:30 AM

In the 1940's? How Liberal does FDR sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQkxr0zdBvM

Reality woke him from the dreams of his slumber of the 1930's.

The bank bailouts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFvrL_nqx2c

The housing bailouts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXY7TkrPPzI

And the spin, years after claimed success...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW32QE-SIgI

Sound familiar? It should. It's Keynesian economics at work some 70+ years ago. The very same Keynesian economic model being followed by President Obama and the Democrat ruled Congress today.

I don't know what you know about Einstein, but he once defined insanity and my signature below contains that definition. You do the math.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Back then: a dollar had value

Whats your DU name?

In the 1940's? How Liberal does FDR sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQkxr0zdBvM

Reality woke him from the dreams of his slumber of the 1930's.

The bank bailouts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFvrL_nqx2c

The housing bailouts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXY7TkrPPzI

And the spin, years after claimed success...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW32QE-SIgI

Sound familiar? It should. It's Keynesian economics at work some 70+ years ago. The very same Keynesian economic model being followed by President Obama and the Democrat ruled Congress today.

I don't know what you know about Einstein, but he once defined insanity and my signature below contains that definition. You do the math.

Believing in God doesn't make one a conservative.
Two...Funny you only go up to 1935. It's also rather how the GDP grew under FDR and while he inherited an unemployment rate of about 25% he was able to decrease it to 14% in 4 years, and wages went up as well. He also created work programs, beyond bailing out banks and houses. It's only after he grearly cut back on spending in 1937 in an effect to balance the budget that the Depression came back in full force (called the Roosevelt Recession.) And the massive government spending during World War II got us fully out of the Depression.

Yes sir, he did such a horrible job between 1933 and 1936 that Americans elected him in a massive landslide that year. Do you think if Americans were as miserable in 1936 as they were in 1932 that he wouldn't have gotten the Hoover treatment and a boot out the door? It says something that they re-elected him not simply by a small margin but by capturing all but 2 states.

And America re-elected him again four years after that, and four years after that....He must've done something right for America to elect him four times; Three out of four during peace time.

fettpett
03-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Hoover was a Progressive, and expasprbated the situation with his spending, it didn't work anymore than Roosevelt did.. He was also a moron for pushing the "southern stragegy" to get elected and kicked a lot of Blacks out of office.

Coolige inherited a FAR deeper recession than Hoover or FDR got. and guess what he did? cut taxes and spending to the lowest levels EVER in American History. guess what happened, the Roaring 20's. an age of great growth. Yes, a little regulation would have helped stimie the '29 crash, but up till then things were moving along great.

oh and Caught, in '45 you still would have gotten drafted as the War didn't fully end until August/September of '45. but just because the war was over didn't mean you wouldn't have gone to Europe or Japan for occuptional duty. Nor does it mean you wouldn't have mustard out before Korea started.

Articulate_Ape
03-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Believing in God doesn't make one a conservative.
Two...Funny you only go up to 1935. It's also rather how the GDP grew under FDR and while he inherited an unemployment rate of about 25% he was able to decrease it to 14% in 4 years, and wages went up as well. He also created work programs, beyond bailing out banks and houses. It's only after he grearly cut back on spending in 1937 in an effect to balance the budget that the Depression came back in full force (called the Roosevelt Recession.) And the massive government spending during World War II got us fully out of the Depression.

Kiddo, you need to read more. That decrease in unemployment was subsidized by the federal government (i.e. de facto government jobs). It was a Band-Aid applied to a chest wound. Had we not been drawn into WWII, FDR's Keynesian folly would have melted down like the Ponzi scheme Keynesian economics becomes when pressured by reality. Not that you watched the videos I posted, but FDR was not a Liberal by today's standards. He was Liberal in that he lived in a dream world for many years. He knew Jews were being slaughtered in Europe, but did nothing until he had to. When he did act, it was because America had been attacked. War had been declared. He had to put his toys away and get real.

FDR was no hero, he was a dreamer. A man who had brought a knife to a gunfight. He covered his failure by spending money we didn't have. Sound familiar?

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 02:00 AM

And you would have died in the streets because back then, you have to work for a living. There was no welfare. And since you said you were 19, most likely you were working for a living then. Not just a part time job. College was for the very privileged so you had to get your hands dirty in order to eat. A lot of men were married at 19. You worked long hours for little pay, however, you weren't struggling. You saved your money. Your only form of entertainment was the radio and a weekly trip to the movie theater. There was (obviously) no internet. No cell phones. No CD players. No XBox or PS3. No Blu-Ray DVD players. Because there were so little luxuries, you got more out of your dollar. More than likely you could feed your family for a week for a little under $10. This included your wife who stayed at home. Few working families had, or needed, 2 incomes. Children grew up in a more stable environment. And with the exception of a house, you were never in debt. There were scant few credit cards. And people with attitudes like yours got a punch in the mouth and when you did, you sucked it up. You didn't sue because someone hurt your feelings. As for presidents, Truman is a Reagan conservative compared to Clinton and Obama. People with your view were given a different label: Communist. Hence you would have been subject to daily beatings. Get a time machine and go back to those days and go to the lower east side of NYC and spout off on a corner the shit you believe right now. Chances are you'd be pelted with bricks and bottles and called a commie. And, genius, there was no war post 1945? I guess they didn't teach you the Korean conflict in school?

As for the pics, I thoroughly enjoyed them. My favorite was the one with the Hygrade Hotdog sign at the top and in the middle a sign that said, "Simply add water". This building was on fire and firetrucks were shooting water cannons at it.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 02:06 AM
Hoover was a Progressive, and expasprbated the situation with his spending, it didn't work anymore than Roosevelt did.. He was also a moron for pushing the "southern stragegy" to get elected and kicked a lot of Blacks out of office.

Coolige inherited a FAR deeper recession than Hoover or FDR got. and guess what he did? cut taxes and spending to the lowest levels EVER in American History. guess what happened, the Roaring 20's. an age of great growth. Yes, a little regulation would have helped stimie the '29 crash, but up till then things were moving along great.

oh and Caught, in '45 you still would have gotten drafted as the War didn't fully end until August/September of '45. but just because the war was over didn't mean you wouldn't have gone to Europe or Japan for occuptional duty. Nor does it mean you wouldn't have mustard out before Korea started.

As far as Coolidge's recession I'll have to read more up on it. I thought Hoover's strategy was to essentially let people fend for themselves, as he felt government intervention would stifle ambition and a person's sense of independence, and only later in his term as unemployment grew did he take a more interventionist stance.

And maybe so, but there were millions of men who for one reason or another didn't serve. I wouldn't have been able to serve anyway as I have health issues including a heart condition and hearing loss which I found out a few days ago after having my first hearing test in years. My step-grandpa who was born in 1917 was disqualified from enlistment because of hearing loss.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 02:14 AM
And you would have died in the streets because back then, you have to work for a living. There was no welfare. And since you said you were 19, most likely you were working for a living then. Not just a part time job. College was for the very privileged so you had to get your hands dirty in order to eat. A lot of men were married at 19. You worked long hours for little pay, however, you weren't struggling. You saved your money. Your only form of entertainment was the radio and a weekly trip to the movie theater. There was (obviously) no internet. No cell phones. No CD players. No XBox or PS3. No Blu-Ray DVD players. Because there were so little luxuries, you got more out of your dollar. More than likely you could feed your family for a week for a little under $10. This included your wife who stayed at home. Few working families had, or needed, 2 incomes. Children grew up in a more stable environment. And with the exception of a house, you were never in debt. There were scant few credit cards. And people with attitudes like yours got a punch in the mouth and when you did, you sucked it up. You didn't sue because someone hurt your feelings. As for presidents, Truman is a Reagan conservative compared to Clinton and Obama. People with your view were given a different label: Communist. Hence you would have been subject to daily beatings. Get a time machine and go back to those days and go to the lower east side of NYC and spout off on a corner the shit you believe right now. Chances are you'd be pelted with bricks and bottles and called a commie. And, genius, there was no war post 1945? I guess they didn't teach you the Korean conflict in school?

As for the pics, I thoroughly enjoyed them. My favorite was the one with the Hygrade Hotdog sign at the top and in the middle a sign that said, "Simply add water". This building was on fire and firetrucks were shooting water cannons at it.

1) A world without cell phones I can agree with. They're unhealthy and unfortunately are necessary (social) evils.

2) Eh, I like to read so I could live without DVD players and X-Boxes. I like classic movies so give me some Bogie, Gable, Powell, DeHavilland and Garland and I'm set.

3) I wouldn't mind being married.

4) I don't believe in credit cards anyway except as a last resort, or in general to be used sparingly.

5) I don't believe in welfare, I believe in workfare.

6) Truman was no Reagan conservative. He pushed for a Universal Healthcare system for Chrissakes.

7) I'm not a communist. Communism is a nice fantasy that no matter how it was tried would never work in reality. It's a pretty fantasy though on paper.

8) This thread is about the '40s. If it were about the 40s and 50s you'd have a point about Korea, but Korea didn't start until 1950.

10) I wouldn't sue someone for punching me, I'd just punch them harder. I live in NYC. Men don't sue in my family.

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 02:15 AM
As far as Coolidge's recession I'll have to read more up on it. I thought Hoover's strategy was to essentially let people fend for themselves, as he felt government intervention would stifle ambition and a person's sense of independence, and only later in his term as unemployment grew did he take a more interventionist stance.

And maybe so, but there were millions of men who for one reason or another didn't serve. I wouldn't have been able to serve anyway as I have health issues including a heart condition and hearing loss which I found out a few days ago after having my first hearing test in years. My step-grandpa who was born in 1917 was disqualified from enlistment because of hearing loss.
True that many men didn't serve but at some point they did in their own way. Many did volunteer work. Nearly every American helped out in the war effort. They bought war bonds or whatever. And since we want to compare families, my great-uncle lied about his age in order to enlist and fought in WWI as well as WWII. You think you'd get that today? People had a sense of patriotism then that has, sadly been lost today. It was an honor to serve your country. And back then, soldiers were treated as the hero's that they are. They weren't spat upon like the peacenick hippy commies did during Vietnam. And if you did spit on a soldier, more than likely you were given an ass kicking in return.

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 02:17 AM

I am sorry to hear that if it is true but are you sure it is not just a comprehension problem? You seem to have the same trouble with the written word.

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 02:19 AM
7) I'm not a communist. Communism is a nice fantasy that no matter how it was tried would never work in reality. It's a pretty fantasy though on paper.
I didn't say you were a communist. I'm saying that if you spout off the bullshit you spout off here back then, you'd be called a commie. And what is this "I've got the blood of Joey Gallo and Al Capone in my veins." You think you're a tough guy? That's a laugh. Don't let me rattle off my "connections". Yours pale in comparison, believe me. I still have "family" in the old country. If you were to utter my last name in certain parts of Italy, you'd be treated almost as royalty.

fettpett
03-14-2010, 02:21 AM
I'll grant you the physical limitations, as I myself would have followed in Desmond Doss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_doss) footsteps and claimed Conscientious Objector status. but there was a difference between CO then and CO now. Doss SERVED his country as a Medic and became the frist CO to win the Medal of Honor (only one of 3) and did it proudly. Since Vitenam these pathetic excuses for CO"s run off to Canada or go cry to Uncle Sam (if the enlisted) that they can't serve anymore. pathetic

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 02:23 AM

True that many men didn't serve but at some point they did in their own way. Many did volunteer work. Nearly every American helped out in the war effort. They bought war bonds or whatever. And since we want to compare families, my great-uncle lied about his age in order to enlist and fought in WWI as well as WWII. You think you'd get that today? People had a sense of patriotism then that has, sadly been lost today. It was an honor to serve your country. And back then, soldiers were treated as the hero's that they are. They weren't spat upon like the peacenick hippy commies did during Vietnam. And if you did spit on a soldier, more than likely you were given an ass kicking in return.

My step grandpa always joked that he worked for the "Women's home relief" program during WWII, with a wink and a smile.
And as for spitting on soldiers, that's for cowards and assholes. I'm not into the whole hippie bullshit. I think I've written here before my feelings on Hippies and the whole 60s era. I know how peaceniks were treated back then, for example FDR considered them the ''Fifth Column'', almost treasonous, that they undermined the war effort and I'm sure a lot of Americans agreed.

Protesting a war is one thing, and is perfectly fine. But spitting on soldiers is quite another.

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 02:25 AM
I'll grant you the physical limitations, as I myself would have followed in Desmond Doss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_doss) footsteps and claimed Conscientious Objector status. but there was a difference between CO then and CO now. Doss SERVED his country as a Medic and became the frist CO to win the Medal of Honor (only one of 3) and did it proudly. Since Vitenam these pathetic excuses for CO"s run off to Canada or go cry to Uncle Sam (if the enlisted) that they can't serve anymore. pathetic

My dad a Seventh Day Adventist, served as a medic in a prisoner of war camp in Korea.

NJCardFan
Dude. It's all about how America woke up and became a Superpower. Regardless of Roosevelt. Get a clue. Before Pearl we were innocent. After Pearl this Nation rose up and beat the whole fascist world. There is NOTHING we can't do when united.

Hell ,Dorie Miller, fired a 50 caliber Browning anti-aircraft machine gun for 15 minutes during the attack until he ran out of ammo. Ordinarily this is not unusual - except that Dorie was the Ships Cook!

Now THAT'S an American
And he was the first black to win the CMH if my memory serves me correctly. And was portrayed by Cuba Gooding jr. in the horrible Pearl Harbor movie.

fettpett
I didn't say you were a communist. I'm saying that if you spout off the bullshit you spout off here back then, you'd be called a commie. And what is this "I've got the blood of Joey Gallo and Al Capone in my veins." You think you're a tough guy? That's a laugh. Don't let me rattle off my "connections". Yours pale in comparison, believe me. I still have "family" in the old country. If you were to utter my last name in certain parts of Italy, you'd be treated almost as royalty.

haha, thats awesome. My Wifes stepdad's family is related to the "family" in South Bend, IN. she was even with cousins when they dropped off a guy to a pig farm. :eek:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 02:27 AM

What bullshit have I said that reeks of communism? I didn't support the auto bailouts, for one, at all. I don't support most of Obama's health proposals either--Except for the ''Pre-Existing conditions'' issue and even on that I'm a little torn, as I've recently had an experience with having no health insurance and I got out of it rather well...Hospitals still treat you even if you have no insurance, and many have ''Charity care'' programs to assist those who don't have insurance financially, at least where I live, and can cover up to 80% of your hospital fee. So I actually don't see much in our health care system that needs reform.

I'm a bit ambigious on the bank bailouts...I don't think the government should nationalize banks but should ensure that the people who invested their savings in those banks don't get fucked over. That's as far as I'd go.

fettpett
03-14-2010, 02:28 AM
My dad a Seventh Day Adventist, served as a medic in a prisoner of war camp in Korea.

ah, cool, are you SDA too? I grew up in the church and meet my wife at the Academy in Wisconsin

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 02:29 AM
haha, thats awesome. My Wifes stepdad's family is related to the "family" in South Bend, IN. she was even with cousins when they dropped off a guy to a pig farm. :eek:
Obviously I can't say who I know or have connections to but believe me, they're no boy scouts. Any mafioso blood relatives, to my knowledge, are all overseas. They're might be a few here but the ones with real power are still in Rome and Palermo.

fettpett
03-14-2010, 02:31 AM
I don't expect you to name off who you're related to, just pretty interesting to find that stuff out. I'm really into Genealolgy

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 02:32 AM
ah, cool, are you SDA too? I grew up in the church and meet my wife at the Academy in Wisconsin
Wasn't the SDA church founded by William Miller? The same William Miller who predicted the end of times but when it didn't come, he'd just change the date? No offense but this is laughable and to think that a major church sprung from this nut is nearly as comical as the Mormons.

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 02:34 AM
No I am no longer SDA but I have many friends that are and have much respect for their lifestyle. I was raised in Hutchinson MN. Have you ever heard of Maplewood Academy?

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Wasn't the SDA church founded by William Miller? The same William Miller who predicted the end of times but when it didn't come, he'd just change the date? No offense but this is laughable and to think that a major church sprung from this nut is nearly as comical as the Mormons.

William Miller and Ellen G. White and a few others.

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 02:36 AM
William Miller and Ellen G. White and a few others.

Good thing they separated themselves from Miller because from what I've read, this guy was Jim Jones nuts.

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Good thing they separated themselves from Miller because from what I've read, this guy was Jim Jones nuts.
The Jehovah's Witnesses also had some influence from this group. There were a lot of peculiar religious beliefs incubating in the time period right after the civil war.

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 02:47 AM
The Jehovah's Witnesses also had some influence from this group. There were a lot of peculiar religious beliefs incubating in the time period right after the civil war.
Jehovah's Witnesses, talk about nuts. I'm a devout Christian but when I see these people in my neighborhood, I tend to put on death metal and play it loudly. Dismember is my personal favorite. Usually makes them skip my house.

fettpett
03-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Actually William Miller didn't belong to the SDA movement, the SDA chruch grew out of the Millerites. Ellen White was part of the Millerite movement when she was a kid. I'm not sure how much or if Jehovah Witnesses were influnced by Adventism.

Ah...I think so rock, I believe one of my formere teachers' son teaches there now.

Sonnabend
03-14-2010, 02:58 AM
The dollar still has value, diminished, yes...But...That's the fault of various presidents since. One could blame GOP President Nixon who ended the Bretton Woods system.
Oh great, violent felons and psychopaths having access to guns. Yay! And I can get a gun rather easily seeing as I have a clean record. You broke the law? Too bad.Another idiocy. I come from a nation with lots and lots and lots of gun laws....and guess what, the criminals have all the guns they want.

FAIL.

And post 1945, there was no war, thus no great need to be 'in uniform.'\Uh....WHAT? Ever hear of the Cold War? Man, where the FUCK did YOU go to school.. Ever hear of KOREA? There was a war there.....DUH.........

And there were plenty of men who didn't fight. Not every man between the age of 18 and 35 fought in WWII.You sound just like Obama ..."I didn't join up because there wasnt a war"

I don't post at DU, nor have an account there.Then dont revert to type.

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Actually William Miller didn't belong to the SDA movement, the SDA chruch grew out of the Millerites. Ellen White was part of the Millerite movement when she was a kid. I'm not sure how much or if Jehovah Witnesses were influnced by Adventism.

Ah...I think so rock, I believe one of my formere teachers' son teaches there now.

Miller didn't join the SDA but had it not been for him there would be no SDA. After him Ellen G. White is by far the most influential person in the forming of the denomination and remains so to this day.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 03:04 AM

Obviously I can't say who I know or have connections to but believe me, they're no boy scouts. Any mafioso blood relatives, to my knowledge, are all overseas. They're might be a few here but the ones with real power are still in Rome and Palermo.

Another idiocy. I come from a nation with lots and lots and lots of gun laws....and guess what, the criminals have all the guns they want.

FAIL.

Uh....WHAT? Ever hear of the Cold War? Man, where the FUCK did YOU go to school.. Ever hear of KOREA? There was a war there.....DUH.........

You sound just like Obama ..."I didn't join up because there wasnt a war"

Then dont revert to type.

And law abiding citizens have guns as well, at least, access to them if they want them.
And again, this is a thread about the '40s. Korea was in the '50s. The Cold War wasn't a ''war'' in the true sense.

And, no, how does my statement even sound like Obama's? Some men didn't join when there WAS a war--WWII--And others were kept home for other reasons, some medical and some to do 'mind the store' at home. Not every man served.

Sonnabend
03-14-2010, 03:07 AM
And law abiding citizens have guns as well, at least, access to them if they want them. And again, this is a thread about th '40s. Korea was in the '50s. The Cold War wasn't a ''war'' in the true sense.

.....'scuse me, my IdiotDetector™ just exploded.:mad:

fettpett
03-14-2010, 03:08 AM
Miller didn't join the SDA but had it not been for him there would be no SDA. After him Ellen G. White is by far the most influential person in the forming of the denomination and remains so to this day.

yeah, pretty much the same thing I was getting at...i'm tired and need sleep. ha!

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-14-2010, 03:13 AM
.....'scuse me, my IdiotDetector™ just exploded.:mad:

Even in my city, which is one of the most gun restrictive cities in probably the whole naiton, you can still get guns as long as you're not a felon.
And...Outside of the need for soldiers to help with the rebuilding/monitoring of Europe post World War II, as well as bases there and the whole Berlin Airlift, when from 1945 to Korea in 1950 was there a major need for troops, or a situation in which most young men were serving?

Sonnabend
03-14-2010, 03:30 AM
And...Outside of the need for soldiers to help with the rebuilding/monitoring of Europe post World War II, as well as bases there and the whole Berlin Airlift, when from 1945 to Korea in 1950 was there a major need for troops, or a situation in which most young men were serving?

Uh....kid.....I am not your history teacher, and if I was, I'd be charging you over $100 USD per hour...as it is, if you don't know the answer to that, then you are wasting your time in university.

What DO they teach these children.....:confused:

Constitutionally Speaking
03-14-2010, 05:50 AM

Yeah, but those Democrats at least loved their country.

namvet
03-14-2010, 09:32 AM
those were real Americans working together to get problems solved and ready to face the biggest war in history.

today we have.......................