PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart Question

aka:PBS
03-14-2010, 07:20 AM
DemocratSinceBirth (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-14-10 07:14 AM
Original message
Wal Mart Question
I know many people here are morally opposed to shopping at Wal-Mart because of their questionable labor practices. I would like to think you can be a fair merchant, treat your customers and employees the way you would like to be treated, and still make a profit. I still believe but it's difficult nowadays.

What do you say to folks who shop at Wal-Mart because they can't afford to shop anywhere else?

I food shop at Wal-Mart, Super Target, Publix, Winn Dixie, and Albertsons and it seems Wal-Mart is demonstrably less expensive.

I also notice that Wal-Mart is upgrading many of their stores to at least be on par with a Super Target. I think they are doing it because a lot of formerly middle class and upper middle class folks have been so been so beaten up by this horrible economy that they are looking for cheap prices. When the economy improves and if it ever does Wal-Mart doesn't want to lose them.

This economy has been a gift to Wal-Mart.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7913793

wow......this ought to be interesting.

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 10:06 AM
What unfair labor practices is Wal-Mart guilty of? It's funny with these people. The reason why they don't like Wal-Mart is because they believe working is a right and that they are entitled to certain benefits but what they don't understand is that nowhere is it written that businesses are mandated to give benefits. The simple solution is to not work there. But if you do work there, unless you're a manager, if you're working there to support a family, you are a loser.

Constitutionally Speaking
03-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Liberals hate Wal-Mart because they have resisted unionization.

They can't stand the fact they cannot siphon of union dues (and thus democrat campaign money) while they drive another business into bankruptcy.

SarasotaRepub
03-14-2010, 11:49 AM
The Kook Lib say Wal-Mart kills small bidness where ever they build.

I look at Wal-Mart as just another store I use on occasion. DUmmies have to make everything a political decision. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
The Kook Lib say Wal-Mart kills small bidness where ever they build.

I look at Wal-Mart as just another store I use on occasion. DUmmies have to make everything a political decision. :rolleyes:
Are they going to target Home Depot and Lowes next? Besides, shopping malls have done more to kill small bidnesses long before Walmart came along.

BadCat
03-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Are they going to target Home Depot and Lowes next? Besides, shopping malls have done more to kill small bidnesses long before Walmart came along.

They pretty much hate any business.

Zeus
03-14-2010, 04:43 PM
They pretty much hate any business.

If it involves work they hate it.

Teetop
03-14-2010, 05:28 PM
If it involves work they hate it.

LOL!

I believe that is checkmate.

stsinner
03-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I hate big box stores because, as SR attributed to the Liberal kook, they put the local little guys out of business, and they service is generally poorer.. But I did read that last year Wal Mart contributed to its employees' 401k's, even if the employee didn't..

http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/8244.aspx

I think they're smarting from the negative labor rumors...

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I hate big box stores because, as SR said, they put the local little guys out of business, and they service is generally poorer.. But I did read that last year Wal Mart contributed to its employees' 401k's, even if the employee didn't..

http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/8244.aspx

I think they're smarting from the negative labor rumors...
SR didn't say that.

stsinner
03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
SR didn't say that.

Oh, I misread.. How about as SR said the kook Lib said...

Rockntractor
03-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Oh, I misread.. How about as SR said the kook Lib said...

There yah go!:D