PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Redo

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Since our Sith leader posted about redoing their kitchen, I thought I'd mention that my wife and I are completely rebuilding our bathroom. Right now we're at the demolition stage. All the walls and ceiling are down and the floor is 90% gone. We ha to rip up the sub-flooring because there was a lot of dry rot(house is over 50 years old). Last night we had a set back. As we were trying to rip out the floor, my father in law accidentally broke one of the pipes. Water everywhere. I ended up shutting the water off completely. We were able to repair the damage and clean up the water. Hopefully today we can get up the rest of the floor and start laying the new sub floor. I'll post some pictures later.

We're going with granite for the vanity. Porcelain tile on the floor and around the tub. Real work begins today.

Constitutionally Speaking
03-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Good luck NJ.

Pics when possible would be good.

SaintLouieWoman
03-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Sounds very nice, but what a lot of work! I commend you for doing it yourself.

In a previous house, when my kids were younger, one of them always splashed way too much water on the floor. The floor started to rot. Had a handyman who just rigged it. He tore out the tile around the tub and put in wood and strengthened it below. Then put carpet in the bathroom, to cover the patch job. Yuck. I got rid of the house shortly after that.

I want to head out in a bit to see if can find some nice looking porcelain tile to use as a backsplash in the kitchen, vs having granite on one wall and just a small a 5" backsplash on the other areas.

Need to finalize those decisions.

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Sounds very nice, but what a lot of work! I commend you for doing it yourself.

In a previous house, when my kids were younger, one of them always splashed way too much water on the floor. The floor started to rot. Had a handyman who just rigged it. He tore out the tile around the tub and put in wood and strengthened it below. Then put carpet in the bathroom, to cover the patch job. Yuck. I got rid of the house shortly after that.

I want to head out in a bit to see if can find some nice looking porcelain tile to use as a backsplash in the kitchen, vs having granite on one wall and just a small a 5" backsplash on the other areas.

Need to finalize those decisions.

We're having professionals do the tile, plumbing and electrical(which is already done. We're doing the demolishing and carpentry work. I'm just happy to get to use my power tools. We went through at least 8 blades on the sawsall cutting out the floor, which was 5 layers in some places: 1/2 inch plywood, a 3/4 inch piece, a layer of old linoleum tile, 1/4 inch luan, and a layer of quick set for setting tile. It was trying to pound out a section of the floor when we hit the water pipe. We're getting ready to put supports between the joists then laying the plywood. I'm taking a short break right now. I'm beat already.

SaintLouieWoman
03-15-2010, 07:16 AM
We're having professionals do the tile, plumbing and electrical(which is already done. We're doing the demolishing and carpentry work. I'm just happy to get to use my power tools. We went through at least 8 blades on the sawsall cutting out the floor, which was 5 layers in some places: 1/2 inch plywood, a 3/4 inch piece, a layer of old linoleum tile, 1/4 inch luan, and a layer of quick set for setting tile. It was trying to pound out a section of the floor when we hit the water pipe. We're getting ready to put supports between the joists then laying the plywood. I'm taking a short break right now. I'm beat already.

You're making me tired just reading this. Trying to decide if I can remove the old kitchen tile myself. I had done it years ago at another house, but about destroyed the walls and had to put up heavy wallpaper to disguise it.

When do you think it will be completed?

NJCardFan
03-15-2010, 09:21 AM
You're making me tired just reading this. Trying to decide if I can remove the old kitchen tile myself. I had done it years ago at another house, but about destroyed the walls and had to put up heavy wallpaper to disguise it.

When do you think it will be completed?

By hook or crook, the end of the month. I have the plumber coming in Friday then the tile guys next Monday so I have to have the floor done and the walls up. I just got a call and the new vanity is in. Things are coming along. When my wife gets home, I'm going to have her transfer some pictures for me.

NJCardFan
03-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Try this link to my facebook page to see progression photos. We got the new sub floor in. If this doesn't work, I'll stop being lazy and post the pics here myself.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=1470365618&pid=30981653#!/photo.php?id=1470365618&pid=30981615&fbid=1391150146695

SarasotaRepub
03-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Try this link to my facebook page to see progression photos. We got the new sub floor in. If this doesn't work, I'll stop being lazy and post the pics here myself.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=1470365618&pid=30981653#!/photo.php?id=1470365618&pid=30981615&fbid=1391150146695

You apparently have to login to FaceBook to see the pics, at least at present. We don't belong to FaceBook. :mad: :D

Good luck with all the work! I'm sure it'll turn out greyt!!!

NJCardFan
03-17-2010, 10:19 AM
You apparently have to login to FaceBook to see the pics, at least at present. We don't belong to FaceBook. :mad: :D

Good luck with all the work! I'm sure it'll turn out greyt!!!

You can't see my photos? I just changed the settings so you should be able to see the photos.

Megaguns91
03-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Lookin good! The demo process is always a blast.

NJCardFan
03-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Lookin good! The demo process is always a blast.

Except when my father-in-law hit a section of floor down and broke a water pipe. That was messy.

Megaguns91
03-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Except when my father-in-law hit a section of floor down and broke a water pipe. That was messy.

Eep. That can be a pain in the behind.

NJCardFan
03-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Tub is set. Hardy board floor is set and ready for tile. Tomorrow hopefully the rest of the plumbing will get done and I'll have a toilet to use. I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel for this project.

RobJohnson
03-19-2010, 11:54 PM

Great pictures & cute dog!

NJCardFan
03-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Great pictures & cute dog!

Thanx. That's Toby my cockapoo. He just got a haircut and looks like a different dog now.

PoliCon
03-20-2010, 06:17 AM
WOW that was an UGLY bathroom . . . Looks better towards the end - just joists! ;)

NJCardFan
03-20-2010, 10:12 PM
WOW that was an UGLY bathroom . . . Looks better towards the end - just joists! ;)

Looks even better now especially since we have a working tub and toilet again.

PoliCon
03-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Looks even better now especially since we have a working tub and toilet again.

You didn't do another plastic bathtub and surround did ya?

NJCardFan
03-22-2010, 10:23 AM
You didn't do another plastic bathtub and surround did ya?
Hells no but actually the old tub was an old cast iron tub. The tile guy is here right now putting up the tile which will be around the tub and ceiling of the tub. Father-in-law and I worked from 11am yesterday morning until 4:30am this morning trying to put up the backer board. What a pain in the ass. It became painfully obvious to us that the room isn't entirely square. And we still did it wrong. Tile guy had to shim up a couple of areas so the tile will be even.

PoliCon
03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Hells no but actually the old tub was an old cast iron tub. The tile guy is here right now putting up the tile which will be around the tub and ceiling of the tub. Father-in-law and I worked from 11am yesterday morning until 4:30am this morning trying to put up the backer board. What a pain in the ass. It became painfully obvious to us that the room isn't entirely square. And we still did it wrong. Tile guy had to shim up a couple of areas so the tile will be even.

Old houses especially are never square.

NJCardFan
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Old houses especially are never square.

But this bathroom is ridiculously offline. Thankfully these imperfections can be handled. We got the tile in today after my father in law and I spent 18 hours putting up cement board and most of the dry wall. Pics are up on my Facebook page.

PoliCon
03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
But this bathroom is ridiculously offline. Thankfully these imperfections can be handled. We got the tile in today after my father in law and I spent 18 hours putting up cement board and most of the dry wall. Pics are up on my Facebook page.

You just have to make sure that the tiles in the corners are of a size that the variance does not show. They did a good job it seems :)