PDA

View Full Version : Don Imus’s Take on‘TehranTom’Hanks:‘Another Panty-wearing Liberal Dickweed’

megimoo
03-14-2010, 11:10 AM
First brought to his attention by "Imus in the Morning" producer Bernard McGuirk on the show, the remarks were news to the host - just not shocking news.

"Oh darn, what a surprise. We have another panty-wearing liberal dickweed from Hollywood - of course!" Imus told McGuirk.

McGuirk dubbed Hanks "Tehran Tom" for remarks the actor made March 5 on-set of MSNBC to promote "The Pacific," the HBO mini-series he helped produce.
Story Continues Below Ad ↓

"Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods," Hanks said. "They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

Imus then welcomed Hugh Ambrose, the noted historian and author who served as a consultant for "The Pacific." His take was far different than Hanks'.

Hanks, he said, was correct in one aspect of the comparison. "Certainly al-Qaeda is very different in most respects - I don't want to oversimplify the challenge we face - but in terms of being totally fanatical to the point of suicide, there is a parallel between that and what we faced in Japan. We won once and we're going to win again."

"Tom Hanks made some comments about the motive of American men, of regarding the Japanese. But it really was just a revenge for Pearl Harbor right?" Imus asked Ambrose.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/anthony-kang/2010/03/12/don-imus-s-take-tehran-tom-hanks-another-panty-wearing-liberal-dickwee

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Panty wearing dickweed. Nice. It amazes me that when we dislike someone, these idiots act like we have no reason. Mr. Hanks needs to pick up a history book to see why we referred to the "Japs" as "slant eyed dogs".

Articulate_Ape
03-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Panty wearing dickweed. Nice. It amazes me that when we dislike someone, these idiots act like we have no reason. Mr. Hanks needs to pick up a history book to see why we referred to the "Japs" as "slant eyed dogs".

He sure does. Everyone knows that we called them "slant-eyed rice monkeys". Geez.

Chuck58
03-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I wasn't around during WW2, but my parents obviously were. My father was at Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima to name a couple of places.

To the day he died, they were Japs, monkey men and I can think of a few other things he called them. I know of one other WW2 Pacific Vet, a friend of my Dad's, who felt the same way.

We, here in NM, still have a few survivors of the Bataan Death March living. Most of them haven't forgotten or forgiven either.

Hanks needs to brush up on his history before he opens his mouth.

Big Guy
03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I guess he fails to understand that it is easier to kill the enemy if we dehumanize them.

That is why our Soldiers called the Native Americans "Savages" or "Red Skins".
Germans were called Kraut's or Gerry's
Japaneese were called Nip's or Jap's
North Koreans were called Slopes or bucket heads
And that is one of the reasons our Soldiers call the enemy "Haji's".

Is it wrong?.............No more wrong than putting a bullit in their heads.

Articulate_Ape
03-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I guess he fails to understand that it is easier to kill the enemy if we dehumanize them.

Well said, sir!

PoliCon
03-14-2010, 05:25 PM

They called the Indians savages because they were such. They called them redskins because that's a close approximation to people who were/are fixated on skin color as race.

The Germans were called Gerry's GER being the abbreviation of German - and it's common to add EE sound on the end of shortened diminutive names. So take GER - for German - add the EE sound to soften it - and you have Gerry. Kraut again was a way of shortening German by pinning them with an identifiable food dish.

Nips comes from Nipponese - what the Japanese actually call themselves - shocker I know - and Jap is short for Japanese. How derogatory!11!!!

I'll give you that slopes and bucketheads were intended from get go to be insults - but the rest were not.

Articulate_Ape
03-14-2010, 05:36 PM
They called the Indians savages because they were such. They called them redskins because that's a close approximation to people who were/are fixated on skin color as race.

The Germans were called Gerry's GER being the abbreviation of German - and it's common to add EE sound on the end of shortened diminutive names. So take GER - for German - add the EE sound to soften it - and you have Gerry. Kraut again was a way of shortening German by pinning them with an identifiable food dish.

Nips comes from Nipponese - what the Japanese actually call themselves - shocker I know - and Jap is short for Japanese. How derogatory!11!!!

I'll give you that slopes and bucketheads were intended from get go to be insults - but the rest were not.

I think you forgot about "Krauts" and a number of other pet names.

PoliCon
03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
I think you forgot about "Krauts" and a number of other pet names.

Read it again. I covered Krauts. I also only dealt with the list Big Guy offered.

Articulate_Ape
03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Read it again. I covered Krauts. I also only dealt with the list Big Guy offered.

I apologize. I missed that. It must have been the tears in my eyes.

fettpett
03-14-2010, 07:33 PM

uh...yeah thats not even close to the truth. there were many Tribes that were close or on par with European/early American technology, and cluture. The so called "5 Civilized Tribes" Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, and Seminole, all lived and assimilated into American culture before Martin Van Buren and Andrew Jackson forced them off their land and unto the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma. Other tribes were forced off their land due to a lot of American settlers and the Government giving them raw deals or not keeping treaties that were signed.

Now I'm not bashing the US at all, just laying out some facts. there were times when the Indian's didn't abide by signed treaties and attacked American Settlers. But they weren't savages, just had different cultures and religions than the European/American Settlers.

Big Guy
03-14-2010, 07:58 PM

My point isn't the origin of the words they were called, which I had no Idea of until now. My point was that these names were meant as a derogatory term used to describe the ENEMY.

For example;

What would most people rather eat?
1. Some old dead cow.
2. Bovine flesh.
3. Cow meat.
4. Beef.

They are all pretty much mean the same thing.

PoliCon
03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
My point isn't the origin of the words they were called, which I had no Idea of until now. My point was that these names were meant as a derogatory term used to describe the ENEMY. But that's the point - they were not MEANT as derogatory - they BECAME derogatory.

Big Guy
03-14-2010, 08:50 PM
But that's the point - they were not MEANT as derogatory - they BECAME derogatory.

Agreed, but they were meant as derogatory by the guy in the fox hole, this was needed to de-humanize the enemy. It is easier to kill a NIP or Rice Monkey than it is to kill a human that is Japaneese.

PoliCon
03-14-2010, 08:50 PM
uh...yeah thats not even close to the truth. there were many Tribes that were close or on par with European/early American technology, and cluture. The so called "5 Civilized Tribes" Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, and Seminole, all lived and assimilated into American culture before Martin Van Buren and Andrew Jackson forced them off their land and unto the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma. Other tribes were forced off their land due to a lot of American settlers and the Government giving them raw deals or not keeping treaties that were signed.

Now I'm not bashing the US at all, just laying out some facts. there were times when the Indian's didn't abide by signed treaties and attacked American Settlers. But they weren't savages, just had different cultures and religions than the European/American Settlers.

They were singled out as the 5 civilized tribes for a reason. The Iroquois tribes were by and large assimilated but the time of the revolution and it was only racism on the part of the democrats that drove them from their homes. But that's just 5 out of how many tribes? Do you have any inkling?

Try this on for size:

A
A'ananin (Aane), Abenaki (Abnaki, Abanaki, Abenaqui), Absaalooke (Absaroke), Achumawi (Achomawi), Acjachemen, Acoma, Agua Caliente, Adai, Ahtna (Atna), Ajachemen, Akimel O'odham, Akwaala (Akwala), Alabama-Coushatta, Aleut, Alutiiq, Algonquians (Algonkians), Algonquin (Algonkin), Alliklik, Alnobak (Alnôbak, Alnombak), Alsea (Älsé, Alseya), Andaste, Anishinaabe (Anishinabemowin, Anishnabay), Aniyunwiya, Antoniaño, Apache, Apalachee, Applegate, Apsaalooke (Apsaroke), Arapaho (Arapahoe), Arawak, Arikara, Assiniboine, Atakapa, Atikamekw, Atsina, Atsugewi (Atsuke), Araucano (Araucanian), Avoyel (Avoyelles), Ayisiyiniwok, Aymara, Aztec

B
Babine, Bannock, Barbareño, Bari, Bear River, Beaver, Bella Bella, Bella Coola, Beothuks (Betoukuag), Bidai, Biloxi, Black Carib, Blackfoot (Blackfeet), Blood Indians, Bora

C
Caddo (Caddoe), Cahita, Cahto, Cahuilla, Calapooya (Calapuya, Calapooia), Calusa (Caloosa), Carib, Carquin, Carrier, Caska, Catawba, Cathlamet, Cayuga, Cayuse, Celilo, Central Pomo, Chahta, Chalaque, Chappaquiddick (Chappaquiddic, Chappiquidic), Chawchila (Chawchilla), Chehalis, Chelan, Chemehuevi, Cheraw, Cheroenhaka (Cheroenkhaka, Cherokhaka), Cherokee, Chetco, Cheyenne (Cheyanne), Chickamaugan, Chickasaw, Chilcotin, Chilula-Wilkut, Chimariko, Chinook, Chinook Jargon, Chipewyan (Chipewyin), Chippewa, Chitimacha (Chitamacha), Chocheno, Choctaw, Cholon, Chontal de Tabasco (Chontal Maya), Choynimni (Choinimni), Chukchansi, Chumash, Clackamas (Clackama), Clallam, Clatskanie (Clatskanai), Clatsop, Cmique, Coastal Cree, Cochimi, Cochiti, Cocopa (Cocopah), Coeur d'Alene, Cofan, Columbia (Columbian), Colville, Comanche, Comcaac, Comox, Conestoga, Coos (Coosan), Copper River Athabaskan, Coquille, Cora, Coso, Costanoan, Coushatta, Cowichan, Cowlitz, Cree, Creek, Croatan (Croatoan), Crow, Cruzeño, Cuna, Cucupa (Cucapa), Cupeño (Cupa), Cupik (Cu'pik, Cuit)

D
Dakelh, Dakota, Dakubetede, Dawson, Deg Xinag (Deg Hit'an), Delaware, Dena'ina (Denaina), Dene, Dene Suline (Denesuline), Dene Tha, Diegueno, Dine (Dineh), Dogrib, Dohema (Dohma), Dumna, Dunne-za (Dane-zaa, Dunneza),

E
Eastern Inland Cree, Eastern Pomo, Eel River Athabascan, Eenou (Eeyou), Eskimo, Esselen, Etchemin (Etchimin), Euchee, Eudeve (Endeve), Excelen, Eyak

F
Fernandeno (Fernandeño), Flathead Salish, Fox

G
Gabrielino (Gabrieleño), Gae, Gaigwu, Galibi, Galice, Garifuna, Gashowu, Gitxsan (Gitksan), Gosiute (Goshute), Gros Ventre, Guarani, Guarijio (Guarijío), Gulf, Gwich'in (Gwichin, Gwitchin),

H
Haida, Haisla, Halkomelem (Halqomeylem), Hän (Han Hwech'in), Hanis, Hare, Hatteras, Haudenosaunee, Havasupai, Hawaiian, Heiltsuk, Heve, Hiaki, Hichiti (Hitchiti), Hidatsa, Hocak (Ho-Chunk, Hochunk), Holikachuk, Homalco, Hoopa, Hopi, Hopland Pomo, Hualapai, Huelel, Huichol, Huichun, Hupa, Huron

I
Illini (Illiniwek, Illinois), Inca, Ineseño (Inezeño), Ingalik (Ingalit), Innoko, Innu, Inuktitut (Inupiat, Inupiaq, Inupiatun), Iowa-Oto (Ioway), Iroquois Confederacy, Ishak, Isleño, Isleta, Itza Maya (Itzah), Iviatim, Iynu

J
James Bay Cree, Jemez, Juaneno (Juaneño), Juichun

K
Kabinapek, Kainai (Kainaiwa), Kalapuya (Kalapuyan, Kalapooya), Kalina (Kaliña), Kanenavish, Kanien'kehaka (Kanienkehaka), Kalispel, Kansa (Kanza, Kanze), Karankawa, Karkin, Karok (Karuk), Kashaya, Kaska, Kaskaskia, Kathlamet, Kato, Kaw, Kenaitze (Kenai), Keres (Keresan), Kichai, Kickapoo (Kikapu), Kiliwa (Kiliwi), Kiowa, Kiowa Apache, Kitanemuk, Kitsai, Klahoose, Klallam, Klamath-Modoc, Klatskanie (Klatskanai), Klatsop, Klickitat, Koasati, Kolchan, Konkow (Konkau), Konomihu, Kootenai (Ktunaxa, Kutenai), Koso, Koyukon, Kuitsh, Kulanapo (Kulanapan, Kulanapa), Kumeyaay (Kumiai), Kuna, Kupa, Kusan, Kuskokwim, Kutchin (Kootchin), Kwaiailk, Kwakiutl (Kwakwala), Kwalhioqua, Kwantlen, Kwapa (Kwapaw), Kwinault (Kwinayl)

L
Laguna, Lakhota (Lakota), Lakmiak (Lakmayut), Lassik, Laurentian (Lawrencian), Lecesem, Lenape (Lenni Lenape), Lillooet, Lipan Apache, Listiguj (Listuguj), Lnuk (L'nuk, L'nu'k, Lnu), Lokono, Loucheux (Loucheaux), Loup, Lower Chehalis, Lower Coquille, Lower Cowlitz, Lower Tanana, Lower Umpqua, Luckiamute (Lukiamute), Luiseño, Lumbee, Lummi, Lushootseed, Lutuamian

M
Macushi (Macusi), Mahican, Maidu, Maina (Mayna), Makah, Makushi, Maliseet (Maliceet, Malisit, Malisset), Mandan, Mapuche (Mapudungun, Mapudugan), Maricopa, Massachusett (Massachusetts), Massasoit (Massassoit, Mashpee), Mattabesic Mattole, Maumee, Matlatzinca, Mayan, Mayo, Mengwe, Menominee (Menomini), Mescalero-Chiricahua, Meskwaki (Mesquakie), Metis Creole, Miami-Illinois, Miccosukee, Michif, Micmac (Mi'gmaq), Migueleño, Mikasuki, Mi'kmaq (Mikmawisimk), Mingo, Minqua, Minsi, Minto, Miskito (Mosquito), Missouria, Miwok (Miwuk), Mixe, Mixtec (Mixteco, Mixteca), Mobilian Trade Jargon, Modoc, Mohave, Mohawk, Mohegan, Mohican, Mojave, Molale (Molalla, Molala), Monache (Mono), Montagnais, Montauk, Moosehide, Multnomah, Munsee (Munsie, Muncey, Muncie), Muskogee (Muscogee, Mvskoke), Musqueam, Mutsun

N
Nabesna, Nadot'en (Natoot'en, Natut'en), Nahane (Nahani, Nahanne), Nahuat, Nahuatl, Nakoda (Nakota), Nambe, Nanticoke, Nantucket, Narragansett, Naskapi, Nass-Gitxsan, Natchez, Natick, Naugutuck, Navajo (Navaho), Nawat, Nayhiyuwayin, Nde, Nee-me-poo, Nehiyaw (Nehiyawok), Netela, New Blackfoot, Newe, Nez Perce, Niantic, Nicola, Niitsipussin (Niitsitapi), Nimiipuu (Nimi'ipu), Nipmuc, Nisenan (Nishinam), Nisga'a (Nisgaa, Nishga), Nlaka'pamux (Nlakapamux), Nomlaki, Nooksack (Nooksak), Nootka (Nutka), Nootsak, Northeastern Pomo, Northern Carrier, Northern Cheyenne, Nottoway, Nuu-chaa-nulth (Nuuchahnulth), Nuxalk

O
Obispeño, Ocuilteco, Odawa, Ofo, Ogahpah (Ogaxpa), Ohlone, Ojibwa (Ojibway, Ojibwe, Ojibwemowin), Oji-Cree, Okanagan (Okanogan), Okwanuchu, Old Blackfoot, Omaha-Ponca, Oneida, Onondaga, O'ob No'ok (O:b No'ok), O'odham (Oodham), Opata, Osage, Otchipwe, Otoe, Ottawa

P
Pai, Paipai, Paiute, Palaihnihan (Palaihnih, Palahinihan), Palewyami, Palouse, Pamlico, Panamint, Papago-Pima, Pascua Yaqui, Passamaquoddy, Patuxet, Patwin, Paugussett (Paugusset), Pawnee, Peigan, Pend D'Oreille, Penobscot (Pentagoet), Pentlatch (Pentlach), Peoria, Pequot, Picuris, Piegan (Piikani), Pima, Pima Bajo, Pipil, Pit River, Plains Indian Sign Language, Pojoaque, Pomo (Pomoan), Ponca, Poospatuck (Poosepatuk, Poospatuk, Poosepatuck), Popoluca (Popoloca), Potawatomi (Pottawatomie, Potawatomie), Powhatan, Pueblo, Puget Sound Salish, Purisimeño, Putún

CONTINUED (http://www.native-languages.org/languages.htm)

And how many had the characteristics of civilization?

- Cities
- Government
- Religion
- Social Structure
- Writing
- Highly Developed Culture
- Technology
- The Arts
- Stable Food Supply

By and large - they were savages.

PoliCon
03-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Agreed, but they were meant as derogatory by the guy in the fox hole, this was needed to de-humanize the enemy. It is easier to kill a NIP or Rice Monkey than it is to kill a human that is Japaneese.

It's natural to have contempt for the enemy - but I'm not convinced that dehumanizing is the intent. I know my Grandfathers who both fought in WWII one in Europe, one in the pacific neither one spoke of the enemy in de-humanizing terms. My Father and uncles who did time in Nam on the other hand . . . .

Maybe it's as much a part of how people served. My Maternal grandfather spoke worse of his own officers than he ever did of the germans - and I don't remember him ever calling them anything but Nazi or Germans in my hearing. He was heavy artillery. My Paternal Grandfather was in the navy in the pacific on a mine ship - and he always used Japs.

NJCardFan
03-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Lenape (Lenni Lenape),

This is the Indian tribe that is native to my area of NJ.

But I have a question. Who were gooks? North Koreans or Vietcong? And weren't the Vietcong called dinks?

Big Guy
03-14-2010, 09:47 PM

But I have a question. Who were gooks? North Koreans or Vietcong? And weren't the Vietcong called dinks?

:D ALL OF EM. :D

PoliCon
03-14-2010, 10:00 PM

My dad always called anyone from the orient and Indochina gooks so . . . . It don't think it really matters to those who are willing to use the term. Of course you can ask one of our resident racists . . . .

Chuck58
03-14-2010, 11:16 PM

We never called the Viet Cong anything but Viet Cong, VC, Charlie or Mr. Charles so far as I can remember.

Chuck
2nd BN, 27th Inf 1967/68

fettpett
03-15-2010, 10:38 AM

- Cities: most of them had fairly large villages that could be considered cities many of them bigger than American cities of the day, very few were actually nomadic.

- Government: all of them had a governmental body

- Religion: all of them had religious beliefs, most of the spiritualist or animist

- Social Structure: all of them had social structures

- Writing: this one i'll give you

- Highly Developed Culture: um...all of them had highly developed cultures

- Technology: Most of the Indian tribes had technology on par with European's when they first landed.
Weapons: the Bows that the tribes use had faster rate of fire, more accurate, and could hit harder than most guns.
Water/sea: Yes Europeans had blue water boats that were bigger, but not by much. Many Indian tribes boats were far superior to European ons.
Agriculture: Corn, squash, beans, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, sunflowers, potatoes, peanuts, tobacco, One thing that they were missing were draft animals until Europeans got there, but that wasn't their fault.

- The Arts: haha...all of them

- Stable Food Supply: most of them farmed, fished, and hunted. very few tribes were nomadic until after the main American push in Expansion and had many staple crops

our concept of "Civilized" had more to do with them not being Christian. Almost all of them adopted European/American Culture when they could. But think of how many fewer problems the settlers and US Government would have had if they had just followed Washington and Adam's assimilation plan instead of pushing them off into other areas.

AmPat
03-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Short for Hanguk. The Korean name for Koreans.

Rebel Yell
03-15-2010, 11:05 AM

OOOOOOH, OOOOH. Resident Racist. Resident Racist.:rolleyes:

fettpett
03-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Limeies = British (use of limes to fight off scurvy lead to this)

Frogs= French cuz they like frog legs

Canucks= no clue other than from the name

Articulate_Ape
03-15-2010, 02:31 PM

That's interesting. I never knew that.

PoliCon
03-15-2010, 07:34 PM

- Cities: most of them had fairly large villages that could be considered cities many of them bigger than American cities of the day, very few were actually nomadic.A large village is still a village. And population is only part of what makes a city a city.

- Government: all of them had a governmental body How many of them had systems of laws?

- Religion: all of them had religious beliefs, most of the spiritualist or animist fine.

- Social Structure: all of them had social structuresPlease give some details about he social institutions of some of the tribes - Aside from the Iroquois.

- Writing: this one i'll give you Damn strait you will :p

- Highly Developed Culture: um...all of them had highly developed cultures Did they? What higher cultural institutions did they exhibit?

- Technology: Most of the Indian tribes had technology on par with European's when they first landed. Which is why the indians worked iron, sailed the oceans, had factories, firearms, etc?

Weapons: the Bows that the tribes use had faster rate of fire, more accurate, and could hit harder than most guns. Great! Europe had bows and arrows too - AS WELL AS muskets AND canons. Come on dude - you're seriously reaching here . . . . Did you purposefully ignore the use of the Bow in Europe for centuries? Have you forgotten that the English longbow changed the shape of warfare in Europe several hundreds of years before the new world was explored? :rolleyes:

Water/sea: Yes Europeans had blue water boats that were bigger, but not by much. Many Indian tribes boats were far superior to European ons. Fine - give examples. Which tribes? Which boats?

Agriculture: Corn, squash, beans, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, sunflowers, potatoes, peanuts, tobacco, Yes. I know the difference between new world and old world crops. I also know that the new world lacked iron forged plows and other far tools that allowed people to spend less time working the land and more time in civilized pursuits. :)

One thing that they were missing were draft animals until Europeans got there, but that wasn't their fault. well that and metal working.

- The Arts: haha...all of them Really? Symphonies? Operas? Advanced musical instruments? Poetry? Literature? Plays? Novels?

- Stable Food Supply: most of them farmed, fished, and hunted. very few tribes were nomadic until after the main American push in Expansion and had many staple crops most of the plains tribes were nomadic - most of the eastern tribes were settled. Sadly most of the eastern tribes were decimated by diseases such a small pox. :(

our concept of "Civilized" had more to do with them not being Christian. Almost all of them adopted European/American Culture when they could. But think of how many fewer problems the settlers and US Government would have had if they had just followed Washington and Adam's assimilation plan instead of pushing them off into other areas. I do not deny that it was a mistake to deny them the chance to assimilate. Blame the democrats.

PoliCon
03-15-2010, 07:35 PM

learn something new every day :)

PoliCon
03-15-2010, 07:36 PM
OOOOOOH, OOOOH. Resident Racist. Resident Racist.:rolleyes:

the resident racists know who they are.

NJCardFan
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Being of Italian decent, I don't get a lot of the slurs. WOP I get as it meant "WithOut Papers". But Dego, guinea I don't get.

PoliCon
03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Being of Italian decent, I don't get a lot of the slurs. WOP I get as it meant "WithOut Papers". But Dego, guinea I don't get.

Dago
(U.S.) an Italian or person of Italian descent. In the UK it can refer also to Spaniards or Portuguese, possibly derived from the Spanish name "Diego".

Guinea
(U.S.) someone of Italian descent. (Derives from "Guinea Negro," was called because of some Italians who had dark complexions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity#Italians