PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Twisters

Kay
03-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Today here in sunny West Texas we have scattered thunderstorms predicted again. Its 42 and the high is supposed to be 53. Yesterday it was dark and rainy almost day, at least sun is supposed to come later in the afternoon. Yesterday, just north of us the panhandle of Texas had some pretty severe weather.

TOTD: Spring thunderstorms and tornado season are in the air. Have you ever been in a tornado and if you have, tell us about it.

I have seen 2 tornados, but both funnel clouds were narrow and up in the sky when I saw them. One did touch down, near Lake Brownwood at Crossplains, Tx. It did lots of damage. The other was near Abilene and never touched down, although there was lots of wind damage just from the storms.

Rockntractor
03-16-2010, 08:27 AM
We never have tornado's that touch down on the hill, they go around the hill and through the valley. We have had some very strong winds though.

Rockntractor
03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
What the hell! Was everybody else busy today too?:confused:

Thanks Kay!:)

Kay
03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.motivationalz.com/pictures/epic_failure.jpg

djones520
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
TOTD: I've been in two, but never seen one much to my great regret.

First one was in Florida. Small F0 that tore right through our backyard. For about 10 seconds visibility was nil. Just a wall of grey with the windows nearly getting sucked right out. When it cleared up, nothing that was in our back yard was there anymore. It was all down the street a hundred yards or so. I still have the scars on my arm from when I grabbed my cat off the window sill and he flipped out on me.

Second was at my present location last year. Was at a hobby store I frequent, and about 1/2 of the building is just windows. Again, it was just a wall of gray with the giant windows bowing outwards. When it cleared up, a tree had been uprooted and deposited on top of some guys car.

fettpett
03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
never been in one or seen one. One of the few things i've had a phobia of since I was in Kindergarden, so thankfully I've never had to deal with it, however my Wfies' Grandfater's house last week got blasted by one in AK

PoliCon
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Today here in sunny West Texas we have scattered thunderstorms predicted again. Its 42 and the high is supposed to be 53. Yesterday it was dark and rainy almost day, at least sun is supposed to come later in the afternoon. Yesterday, just north of us the panhandle of Texas had some pretty severe weather.

TOTD: Spring thunderstorms and tornado season are in the air. Have you ever been in a tornado and if you have, tell us about it.

I have seen 2 tornados, but both funnel clouds were narrow and up in the sky when I saw them. One did touch down, near Lake Brownwood at Crossplains, Tx. It did lots of damage. The other was near Abilene and never touched down, although there was lots of wind damage just from the storms.

I used to live in south central Ohio - and as a result I've been up close and intimate w`ith quite a few. The worst though was the one we ran into one day on our way home from my Grams - coming along the highway as we were driving home. It went wide of us - but turned so it was heading right for my grandmothers place. :( Needless to say we turned right the hell around and drove back to check on her. Fortunately it petered out before it got to her.

Jumperbones
03-17-2010, 01:32 AM
We don't get them that often up here in Pa. Kay, but when I was in Big Spring I was in two. In the first one, I was driving up 87 to Lubbock. I was just south of Lamesa,(I think that was the town,) and, it was raining to beat the band and all the sudden it just stopped, got real quiet and just like that the hail started. I looked out across a field to the left and there it was, and it wasn't small. There were about five cars all bunched up. We'd stopped because the rain was coming down so hard we could hardly see to drive. When the rains stopped and we saw the Tornado touch down. We all hightailed it out of there in a hurry.

The second one, I was in my barracks and when I looked out the window everything was moving straight across the window to the right. I turned around to say something to my room mate and when I looked back, everything was moving straight across the window to the left. I didn't see the tornado that day, but a buddy of mine lived in a Mobile home on the other side of I-20. The Tornado picked up his home and flipped it upside down and it landed about 100 yards from where it was originally. He'd just taken the tie downs off because he was about to be discharged and was in the process of having it moved the next day. Needless to say, he didn't have much left to move.

If I never live through another one till the day I die, I'm good with that.

SaintLouieWoman
03-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Outran a tornado in Kansas. Was returning from Colorado and suddenly the sky got black. Could see the funnel cloud to my left (north), paralleling Int. 70. There was no where to go, so just kept driving fast, which was probably the worst thing to do.

Wait, the worse thing was stopping at a gas station and going into the building. There were quite a few people who stopped at that quick shop. You could see the large windows bowing. When it seemed to go by, went back out and kept trying to return to STL, but ran into it again. It was intriguing, but terrifying.

Another time, about 4 years ago, it suddenly got pitch black and quiet. My dog Jackson (now deceased) refused to go downstairs. He took one look outside and high tailed it down the basement steps. Needless to say the other dogs and I followed him. We were lucky and had minor wind damage. It must have passed by us very narrowly.

linda22003
03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/political-pictures-tornado-gonna-suck.jpg

lacarnut
03-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Never seen or been in a tornado but have been in a bunch of hurricanes in south Louisiana. Tornado's have to be pretty scary. Hurricanes do not bother me that much. Everyone runs to Home depot to get supplies, to the grocery for food, fill up with gas, ATM machine for cash and wait. Being without electricity for a week is no big deal either but the 95 degree plus heat is. The car AC hits the spot. Never had any roof or tree damage.

Gingersnap
03-17-2010, 09:37 AM
What the hell! Was everybody else busy today too?:confused:

Thanks Kay!:)

Ditto! I thought this thread was about tongue twisters or something. :o

I've seen them touch down and I've had some destruction from tornado-generated winds both in Wyoming and down here in Colorado. I'm pretty sensitive to that greenish color now.

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Ditto! I thought this thread was about tongue twisters or something. :o

I've seen them touch down and I've had some destruction from tornado-generated winds both in Wyoming and down here in Colorado. I'm pretty sensitive to that greenish color now.

It's the sound that puts ice in my veins . . . . The first one I experienced was when I was 4 - it passed right outside my bedroom window and destroyed my favorite climbing tree. :mad: But that sound is one that I will never forget.

Shannon
03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
It's the sound that puts ice in my veins . . . . The first one I experienced was when I was 4 - it passed right outside my bedroom window and destroyed my favorite climbing tree. :mad: But that sound is one that I will never forget.

Was the tree trying to eat you at the time?

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Was the tree trying to eat you at the time?

no - it was the crack of dawn - I had just awoke to a very loud rumbling sound from outside my window - the tornado . . . . My mother came running into the room a mere second later to drag me out of bed to the other side of the house which was apparently deemed safer . . .

Kay
03-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Things can get pretty ugly during a twister....

http://www.funnyhub.com/content_images/5675_2838_strip-twister-turns-ugly.jpg

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Things can get pretty ugly during a twister....

http://www.funnyhub.com/content_images/5675_2838_strip-twister-turns-ugly.jpg

THAT WAS MEAN! :mad:

:D GOOD JOB!

Kay
03-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Payback for what you did to us with the bikini shot
in that one about the pretty plus size model. :D