PDA

View Full Version : PepsiCo will pull sugary drinks

Gingersnap
03-17-2010, 09:08 AM
PepsiCo will pull sugary drinks

To cut high-calorie pop from schools around world within two years

Published On Wed Mar 17 2010
Decision to drop the calorie-laden mainstay comes after years of pressure by public health agencies.

Emily Mathieu
Business Reporter

The world's No. 2 soft drink maker, PepsiCo Inc., has pledged to pull high sugar soda from schools around the world by 2012.

The company said Tuesday it is "voluntarily adopting" the global policy following discussions with the World Heart Federation in Geneva.

The decision to pull the calorie-laded mainstay of the company's product line from every school marks the first such move by a major soft drink producer.

It comes after years of campaigning by public health agencies to limit children's access to foods linked to the rising tide of childhood obesity.

"At some point when companies get very convincing evidence that their products are very instrumental in causing problems then the companies need to try and react in order to maintain their business, " said David Soberman, professor of marketing with Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto.

PepsiCo described the announcement as part of the company's continuing efforts to improve the health of students.

Interesting.

The Star (http://www.thestar.com/business/article/780921--pepsico-will-pull-sugary-drinks)

FlaGator
03-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Interesting.

The Star (http://www.thestar.com/business/article/780921--pepsico-will-pull-sugary-drinks)

A spokesperson for PespisCo said "we're going to replace those drinks with something that is cheap and really sucks like Tab or saccharine water but since we are dealing with a captive audience we really don't care... cha-ching"

stsinner
03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
A spokesperson for PespisCo said "we're going to replace those drinks with something that is cheap and really sucks like Tab or saccharine water but since we are dealing with a captive audience we really don't care... cha-ching"

LOL...

NJCardFan
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't see a problem. When I was in school you had one choice-milk. Well, we graduated to chocolate milk and OJ when I got to 7th grade. But soda was never an option unless you brought it in. Of course there was always tap water.

stsinner
03-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't see a problem. When I was in school you had one choice-milk. Well, we graduated to chocolate milk and OJ when I got to 7th grade. But soda was never an option unless you brought it in.

Never an option in my school, either..

noonwitch
03-17-2010, 10:19 AM

I guess they have forgotten the "New Coke" fiasco from the 80s. I'll bet Coca Cola isn't changing their products anytime soon!

The only Pepsi product I drink is Diet Mountain Dew, when I'm driving and tired, because it has a mega dose of caffeine. Diet Coke is my drink of choice, for the most part.

aerojarod
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
I guess they have forgotten the "New Coke" fiasco from the 80s. I'll bet Coca Cola isn't changing their products anytime soon!

The only Pepsi product I drink is Diet Mountain Dew, when I'm driving and tired, because it has a mega dose of caffeine. Diet Coke is my drink of choice, for the most part.

I used to be a die-hard Diet Pepsi and Bud Light drinker.

Somehow I've migrated to Diet Coke and Miller Light.

:confused: